Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 AM

964 posts, read 3,161,961 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty num on what the differences are, so can someone help me out here? I'm leaning towards power lifting because I want to get stronger and be more muscular, for a lack of a better word without gaining too much fat since I'm a little stocky already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 AM

30 posts, read 85,878 times
Well first of all, go to wikipedia. They have articles about powerlifting and bodybuilding.

You wont get more muscular doing only powerlifting compared to bodybuilding (thought you'd know that by just the names). Powerlifting includes compound exercises (squat, benchpress and deadlift) and this is mainly for strength. As a bodybuilder, you would still want to do those exercises but also add more, not only compound exercises but more concentrated exercises like the bicep curl (one of MANY examples).

Also, in powerlifting and other strength sports you usually only do like 1-5 reps (heavy!). Bodybuilders usually do around 8-12 reps per set.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:28 AM

That's the part that confuses me the most is the sets and reps part. I've seen the same suggested for both powerlifting and bodybuilding. Though, I am using Rippetoe's Starting Strength at the moment

Old 01-13-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
That's the part that confuses me the most is the sets and reps part. I've seen the same suggested for both powerlifting and bodybuilding. Though, I am using Rippetoe's Starting Strength at the moment
Let me get you some directions:
Strength: 1-6 reps
Muscle volume: 7-12 reps
Rehab: 15-

If you want to gain both strength and get more muscular my suggestion is that you vary you training. Maybe 1-6 reps for two weeks then focusing on the volume for four weeks. Just an example. If you feel that you soon be overtrained, use the light weights for a week and add some extra reps. Regarding the amount of sets, I usually do 3-5 sets.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 10,812 times
Default Forget about the powerlifting!

I was a competitive bodybuilder for two years. I used to work out a little when I played college baseball and played a year in the minor league. When I finally had to get a job and started supporting a family I was 23 years old 5' 9" tall and weighed 150lbs soaking wet and wore 30 waist pants. There was a very good facility around the corner from my house that I joined. I met this huge guy who taught me the key to gain strength. If you are serious about this you work out 4 days a week. Monday, chest, shoulders, triceps. Tuesday, legs ,back, biceps. Off day Wednesday. Thursday, chest, shoulders, triceps. Friday, legs, back, biceps. The key to gaining strength (this worked for me) is to increase the weight on each lift 20lbs. till you reach a plateau. I did 4 sets of everything. Depending on how strong you are gives you an idea where to start. When I first started (example) 1st set-Bench Press 145lbs X 8 reps. - 2nd set-165lbs X 8 reps. 3rd set-185lbs X 4 reps was all I could do. 4th set- 135 until you burn out!. I stuck with that type of regime and in a couple of weeks I got the 185lbs. 8 reps. When that goal was reached I started at 165 for the first set and kept on if you see what I mean; up 20lbs. when you reach your goal. I kept a spiral notebook with me logging the weight and reps every workout. Get the exercises for your muscle groups out of any "Muscle & Fitness magazine. To make a long story short, I worked out faithfully 4 days a week for 8 years being competitive the last 2 years. Every 6 to 7 months I would let my body rest for about 5 days! There will be a point in time if you do this long enough (I think it was in my 3rd year) where you will reach point that the increase will stop (your body will reach a limit). It was explained to me by that huge guy I told you about who started me on this routine. The only way to go up is to start taking certain supplements (if you know what I mean).

I started at 5' 9" @ 150lbs. 30" waist - 5 to 8 years later same height 205lbs 30" waist. Had to buy 36" waist pants & cut to 30" to get my legs in them. I have to say that the thing I enjoyed the most was being able to bench press 310lbs. 10 reps! Remember, to get strong increase 20lbs each set!

Those were the good old days. I am 55 years old now and an avid golfer.
I still work out about once a week to stay toned and cut but all the big muscle mass has taken a hike!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:45 AM

260 posts, read 549,245 times
if you are interested, here is a video of some of the lifts with perfect form of the greatest powerlifter ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9L5XJta3Ag

Old 01-13-2010, 10:47 AM

550 posts, read 1,356,740 times
Just try any routine out and see how your body responds. The key, I found, is to not overtrain. Your body can take abuse but you have to make sure to give it the rest and nutrients it need for you to gain strength and grow.

Best thing to do is try a lot of the routines out there. I found powerlifting to fun becuase of the need to increase my max.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:48 AM

Wow, thanks for the advice guys, especially for the detailed info Nick. This isn't the first time I've done weightlifting, but back then, I wasn't do it correctly with perfect form, so I didn't do as well. But now with learning about Starting Strength, it has made it easier.

Quick question though, do I need to stick with the main exercises(squat, bench, deadlift, press, and powerclean) along with some of the exercises you noted at above?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Wow, thanks for the advice guys, especially for the detailed info Nick. This isn't the first time I've done weightlifting, but back then, I wasn't do it correctly with perfect form, so I didn't do as well. But now with learning about Starting Strength, it has made it easier.

Quick question though, do I need to stick with the main exercises(squat, bench, deadlift, press, and powerclean) along with some of the exercises you noted at above?
Heavy is good. So stick with the squat, deadlift and benchpress and then add more exercises (I have switched benchpress to dumbbell press because it works better for me). You can find a great amount of exercises on the following link (GIF pictures showing you how to do them right).
Barbell Preacher Curl

Old 01-13-2010, 01:04 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,637,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.k. View Post
Let me get you some directions:
Strength: 1-6 reps
Muscle volume: 7-12 reps
Rehab: 15-
So the strongmen guys who deadlift the front end of a car 20 times are just doing rehab?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness