Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times

Advertisements

Has anyone in here compared different altitudes for training. I was reading on how the higher altitude raises the red blood cells level so you get faster results. (also makes a lot of sense why smokers grow slower- lower redbc)

Does anyone know of any fit camps for this?

Anyone try synthetic EPO vs. natural?

And is there a thread on this already? If so link it please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,389 times
Depends on what your talking about as far as training camps... as far as what? yes.. training at higher altitudes will give you better results - especially at sea level. your lungs take in LESS oxygen in higher altitudes - making the body compensate for that.. So when you go to sea level - you can totaly rock it!
I watched a UFC fight - LONG time ago and one of the competitors was from sea level - fighting at over 5k feet... yeah.. he didn't last 30 seconds and had to be carted off to the ER on oxygen.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Oooh...Thats interesting.

I just know there has to be some sort of fitness get away or spa that boot camps you into gear. Call it a masochist's functional vacation...lol

I just want to see how much it costs and if its not insane put it on my "want to do" list.

I am in PA and we have mountains but I don't know if they are high enough...have not looked into that and I really would prefer to go to a place rather than woodsman style. (too many scary movies & bears scare me because I am the food)

edit:

Oh neato...YOu can put your city into google search as: "altitude of pittsburgh"
Pittsburgh — Elevation: 1,223 FT

Im going to die arent I...lol

Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 AM

550 posts, read 1,214,919 times
I think there is a place called "utah olympic high altitude center" in the US... but if you are not a professionl sportsman I do not see what you want out of this...

What happens is that your body temporarly produces more red blood cells, which is why professional athletes do this prior to major competitions such as world cups and olympics etc. It doesnt take long until you areback to normal rbc production, and the the stamina boost is over aswell.

So with other words it's nothing i'd put my money on wether it's fat reduction or good cardio I'm after...

Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 PM

THE EXPERIENCE! I want to feel it. I never hiked really high in a mountain and its just something I always wanted to do but now I am running danger reasons through my head so I thought a camp would be safer. I just think if I passed out walking around by myself...I would be dead!

Funny thing I was going to move to Utah this spring but other things came up that were more intresting.

The other reason I want to do it is because I feel like a need an edge to get me over a hump that I am getting so annoyed at. (cardio improvement)
I have to have some info to read or I get bored when I am in a hump. So I look into anything that could play into any part of my ultimate goal (getting back to my old self but better) Daydreams & research can keep me on track.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:34 PM

196 posts, read 564,218 times
The Olympics team USA is training in Colorado Springs, you can google why. A couple of weekends ago I was in New Mexico and went to the gym and running. I felt like I could run a marathon right there without any proper training! Here in Colo Spgs I can run 5.5 miles, but that's about it.. There it felt I could run and run and run...

Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Did you feel any negative muscle,tendon or bone aches down on the line? Like you know when you are out of shape and you give that extra push and you REALLY feel it the next day...how did those days feel? Faster fading? Non-existant?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,389 times
I live in colorado... elevation 5280 city.. i've hiked a 14er - IE... 14000 Feet ABOVE sea level. Snow shoed at 10,000 feet above sea level.

you would have issues if you tried that without first becoming acclimated to the elevation ..

you can always vacation in Colorado and go trail running or hiking... TONS AND TONS of open space with trails to bike/hike - easy - to difficult. No fees unless you go into the National parks.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
I live in colorado... elevation 5280 city.. i've hiked a 14er - IE... 14000 Feet ABOVE sea level. Snow shoed at 10,000 feet above sea level.

you would have issues if you tried that without first becoming acclimated to the elevation ..

you can always vacation in Colorado and go trail running or hiking... TONS AND TONS of open space with trails to bike/hike - easy - to difficult. No fees unless you go into the National parks.
I agree! I lived in Colorado Springs for three years, which is at 6500 feet. It's easy to get out of breath there. I went for a bike ride once and got the tunnel vision and feeling of impending blackout. Pitt, if this is something you want to try, be careful.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,965 times
I live in the Albuquerque area and I spend most weekends hiking at least 10-15 miles over 6k on either Saturday or Sunday. It is so very relaxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness