Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:20 AM

181 posts, read 598,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I do bodyguarding/security for a lot of people/events here in LA/Hollywood and also some fights in Vegas so I get to meet a lot of people. I also worked for the Gov. when he was campaigning to be gov of California. That and the fact that these guys are in my social circles make it bit easier to come across them.

I used to hear all the time from guys who mistakenly thought they knew what they were talking about saying "smith machines are bad", "Smith machines are dangerous" and all they were doing was repeating what they heard instead of something they researched on their own. I wanted smith machine for my home and wanted to make sure that it was safe. Since I had no plans of putting up 550-600 pounds on it and the fact that these guys said they use(d) it convinced me. I ended up getting one of these - Parabody Smith Machine and am very very happy with it. Has gun rack so I can use both the smith AND regular olympic bar.
That's pretty cool dude!

Whatever works works, but in the end it's undeniable that free weights are more efficient for building muscle and increasing coordination than a smith machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
That's pretty cool dude!

Whatever works works, but in the end it's undeniable that free weights are more efficient for building muscle and increasing coordination than a smith machine.
Just a thought, as it was the way I went years ago.

Isn't a power rack the solution to all this? Just set the safety bars correctly, but lift with the free weights?

That being said, some muscles seem, to me to be easier to actually train with some specific machinery. Leg curls come to mind. Never did find a good way to hit the back of the legs with just free weights.

'course I'm not, nor never will be a pro either.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Just a thought, as it was the way I went years ago.

Isn't a power rack the solution to all this? Just set the safety bars correctly, but lift with the free weights?

That being said, some muscles seem, to me to be easier to actually train with some specific machinery. Leg curls come to mind. Never did find a good way to hit the back of the legs with just free weights.

'course I'm not, nor never will be a pro either.
Yeah machines aren't always the devil I just think the building block of all programs should involve free weights, and if you like leg curls and see results from them why not do them?

If you want to try some more ways to hit your hamstrings, you can try stiff legged (or romanian) deadlifts, pullthroughs (using cables and it works your whole posterior chain), hypers, or glute ham raises.

My personal favorite is pullthroughs- i think they're one of the most underrated exercises and even though you look like an idiot doing them sometimes, they're very effective and have directly helped my deadlift numbers

Old 04-12-2010, 10:45 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
That's pretty cool dude!

Because of the use of the stabilizer muscles I agree. I use them both equally but my squats are usually done with the free weights.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Well, I use both. However, I use free weights first then machines. Its alot easier to lower weights on a machine compared to getting a plate or switching dumbells especially when its busy. For example, I do decline, incline, flat bench press or dumbell flys depending on how busy it is then I proceed to do a machine or two. Sometimes, you just have to use what you can when its packed...I dont feel like waiting 5 minutes for each item I like to use when its not busy.

For abs, I hardly ever use machines. I do alot of my ab stuff on a mat with a 10 pound plate.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:42 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
I'm no expert. I'll just say that I work with a certified trainer once a week, and she has me use free weights over machines 80% of time. Considering that I am paying her, I follow her suggestions when I work out on my own too.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM

Well, I think girls definitely use more machines than free weights. Not as many women wanting to gain mass...thank god.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:01 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Well, I think girls definitely use more machines than free weights. Not as many women wanting to gain mass...thank god.
Ridiculous.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Really? I don't see many women bench pressing nor squating. When they do, its usually with low weights and more reps which is good for a women. I have only seen a women bench pressing a handful of times in years of working out.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Really? I don't see many women bench pressing nor squating. When they do, its usually with low weights and more reps which is good for a women. I have only seen a women bench pressing a handful of times in years of working out.
the problem with a lot of women is that they think they'll get too big and strong if they do compound lifts and heavy weights. They don't have the testosterone to get as big as males and unless they take a lot of supps and completely alter their diet for getting stronger, it's very unlikely that they will get too big to the point where they wouldn't like it.

I sometimes see a woman at my gym doing 135 pound deadlifts and squats for high reps (at least on deads). She looks really dam hot and she's in her 30s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness