Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:21 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times

Advertisements

Do the members at your gym leave tons and tons of weights on machines and all over the gym floor at your gym. Leave them there after they are finished with them, and even watch you take them off so you can start your workout.

Do you notice that the majority of members do not clean off machines especially cardio after using them?

What about when you want to get a drink of water at the water fountain. Do they stand there filling up a big bottle of water and make you wait for just a few sips of water.

Moaning and groaning when they lift weights that are obviously to heavy for them. Dropping them so they just bang on the floor after all their grunts and groins.

I travel quite abit and have used a variety of gyms in different states, unfortunately where I live here in Portland this behavior seems to be the worst.

I belong to 24 hour fitness and they dominate the gym business in Portland. I think that is part of the reason why the gym experience is not up to par. They oversell their memberships and bring in alot of people that could care less about much of anything. How is your gym and do you belong to a large chain or are fortunate enough to have a locally owned type gym? There are few left in this country.

After writing all this I see I belong to a real trash gym and it sucks. To bad 24 hour fitness has about 15 locations in Portland and will probably take over the few Bally's that are left here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 01:34 AM

213 posts, read 698,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Do the members at your gym leave tons and tons of weights on machines and all over the gym floor at your gym. Leave them there after they are finished with them, and even watch you take them off so you can start your workout.
Due to a job with approximately 50% overnight and multi-state travel, I have been to over 15 different gyms (four different chains) in the past two years.

You see this everywhere. However, it is quite a coincidence that you are a member of 24-Hour Fitness, because I have noticed that it is FAR worse there than anywhere else. It may not be entirely fair to blame it on the etiquette of the members, as it could also be a lazy staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Moaning and groaning when they lift weights that are obviously to heavy for them. Dropping them so they just bang on the floor after all their grunts and groins.
Eh, unless they are screaming and generally making an ass of themselves, I don't really see why letting out some grunts and groans during lifting bothers people. After all, working out is supposed to be painful (a good pain) if you wish to progress. Agree on slamming weights around on most exercises, though there are a few where you just can't help it sometimes (heavy deadlifts, heavy dumbell presses).

My biggest pet peeve lately has been seeing large groups of "bros" hanging out on the same one or two machines/benches for over a half an hour. Most of the time trash talking about how awesome they are and how they can't wait to hang in Uptown tonight.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I belonged to a 24-Hour Fitness several years ago. I get sweaty when I work out, not like Shaquille O'Neil but a lot for a girl, and so I always had a hand towel to wipe down handles and seats. I always felt like the only one doing that. I'm not a particularly squeamish person, but touching some stranger's cold, rank sweat is pretty gross. Wipe off your equipment!

Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I belonged to a 24-Hour Fitness several years ago. I get sweaty when I work out, not like Shaquille O'Neil but a lot for a girl, and so I always had a hand towel to wipe down handles and seats. I always felt like the only one doing that. I'm not a particularly squeamish person, but touching some stranger's cold, rank sweat is pretty gross. Wipe off your equipment!
LOL. I can just see you sweating up a storm like Shaq in the 4th Quarter at the free throw line. Very funny.

24 Hour fitness requires members to bring a towel with them to wipe of the equipment after use. They also require you to wear t-shirts (or at least NO tank tops) to lesson sweat transfer.

Golds Gym provides towels, but you still sometimes see people wearing tanks getting the equipment/benches all sweaty.

Now, Ive said it a million times before here, but I just have to say it again - Equinox Fitness is by far the best gym every. Not only do they provide you with two sizes of towels, they have several people (at least ten people) constantly cleaning and wiping the equipment. It's cleaner than many 5 star hotels and restaurants. Another good thing is, the type of clientele they have, people almost always leave the machines/equipment they way they found it. They dont leave the weights on the machine or strewn about. If the weights are not placed back where they belong, the cleaning crew will put it back. Cleanest nicest gym in existence right now.

Bottom line is, general gym etiquette is:

1. Always have a towel to wipe down the equipment after use.
2. Place weights back on racks when finished.
3. Wear clean workout clothes.
4. Dont wear too much cologne/perfume.
5. Offer assistance of being a spotter if someone needs the help.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Yes I hate it when people don't wipe down the machines! We have a several cleaning stations throughout our gym so there's no excuse.

On another note, I seem to be the cell phone yapper magnet. I don't know what it is about me that attracts these folks. There could be several empty ellipticals but the cell phone yapper will pick the one right next to me. And since cell phone users tend to yell, especially when they're in a noisy setting, I'm finding that I can't even tune them out with my headphones.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
This is why I invested in home equipment. I despise working out at a gym. Sure, there's a lot of eye candy and a great selection of equipment. But I gladly gave that up to have the convenience and privacy of working out at home. I realize a lot of people don't have that option because of money and space limitations. But if you can, it's so worth it.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
LOL. I can just see you sweating up a storm like Shaq in the 4th Quarter at the free throw line. Very funny.
I do not!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Now, Ive said it a million times before here, but I just have to say it again - Equinox Fitness is by far the best gym ever.
Hey, they have gyms in Chicago! I thought they were a chain local to you for some reason.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:00 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
I work with DoD. It's three army guys in gym cheering each other on. YOU CAN DO IT. ONE MORE ONE MORE!! Dude, puleeze!

When I'm in the weight area -- I always need help with the weights. Hey, can you help me, please.

Hey Men. If you can't lift a weight don't force it. Don't force it so hard where your afterburner starts.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
You need to get a ipod or something. I use to get this annoyed when I had to listen to the god awful music most gyms play. People are just inconsiderate and it doesn't really matter where you go. 90% of people don't remove weights and don't clean the machine when its done. There is no reason to get mad over it though. You getting mad is going to make zero difference. I use to rerack but now, I can care less. I'm not at the gym to make friends. I am there to get a workout and leave ASAP. I'm not sure why everyone thinks everyone should be considerate at a gym. I don't see this question arise regarding grocery store, mall, etc etiquette. People for the most part are a-holes, you getting mad about it only affects you and not in a good way. If it really makes you mad, I highly suggest getting a home gym. Its really the only way you will avoid this issue.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:28 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
I was working out in a hotel gym in Vegas on a treadmill, oblivious to everything going on around me since I had my iPod on at a good volume. Until a businessman type stepped on a treadmill 2 away from me and I could CLEARLY hear him talking/bellowing on his phone OVER my music. Seriously? How important do you want me to think you are?! We all get it. You're the king of the universe. Now freaking pipe down!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness