Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times

Advertisements

I have had a couple fairly minor foot issues in the past 10 years, and read that barefoot running would greatly strengthen the feet, so I decided to try it out. I still run the bulk of my miles in shoes, and have not even gone the minimalist route. I use Mizuno Precisions and the lighter Mizuno Ronins for races and faster workouts. However what I decided to do was do all my cooldown runs on the treadmill barefoot. This amounts to about 7 miles per week of barefoot running for me. I started with only about an 800 meter barefoot run and slowly have worked up to about 1.5 miles.

My goal was stronger feet but what I didn't anticipate was how much fun it would be. It's quite a different feel from shod running. First of all you don't realize how numb running with shoes is until you run barefoot. It's like you can feel and control every square centimeter of your sole. Secondly, for me it's a lot more bouncy--almost a plyometric-like feel.

I have never been able to motivate myself to consistently do cooldown runs, and I'm not even convinced of the benefit. All the books and coaching material I've seen advises doing it--it's supposed to aid in flushing the lactate or some such thing. But now I don't care if it works or not. I actually look forward to and enjoy it!

Another benefit of running barefoot that I'm convinced of is improved form. Runners are constantly told that heel striking is bad form (even though some great runners do it). When you run barefoot, you naturally seem to fall into forefoot striking.

My plan now is eventually to do all my easy runs barefoot. This would be as much as 30 miles per week. I'm not a barefoot convert, haven't even read 'Born to Run', and don't plan on giving up my Mizunos, but fun is fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
You know, I havent really tried the barefoot running thing yet. Ive dont barefoot running around a rubber track at a high school, and Ive done a LOT of barefoot running on the beach, but never really a true barefoot run. I think I am too much of a germaphobe, worried about my feet getting too dirty and dont want to step on a rock, pepple, or glass somewhere.

Barefoot beach running = great
Barefoot running on the streets or through neighborhoods = not so great.

You have your own treadmill I presume because gyms will NOT allow people to run barefoot on their treadmills. Also, dont you feel the seam and/or something similar on the treadmill when you run barefoot?

Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
You know, I havent really tried the barefoot running thing yet. Ive dont barefoot running around a rubber track at a high school, and Ive done a LOT of barefoot running on the beach, but never really a true barefoot run. I think I am too much of a germaphobe, worried about my feet getting too dirty and dont want to step on a rock, pepple, or glass somewhere.

Barefoot beach running = great
Barefoot running on the streets or through neighborhoods = not so great.

You have your own treadmill I presume because gyms will NOT allow people to run barefoot on their treadmills. Also, dont you feel the seam and/or something similar on the treadmill when you run barefoot?
certainly there's a toughening of the skin that occurs but the main reason it's safe on streets is that barefoot running promotes only minimal (temporal and skin wise) contact with the surface. It forces more of a mid-stride and you land more naturally under your torso instead of reaching out in front and heel striking so your foot is in contact with the street for less time.

the OP is right though, if interested go SLOWLY!!! at first, don't just start packing on miles. You musculature and even bones need time to change and adapt to the new pressures put on them. Even start on grass first off.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 AM

3,379 posts, read 9,213,109 times
I love it...sometimes it feels better without protection!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:05 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,184,449 times
Not only is barefoot running fun but doing anything barefoot is more comfortable for me, personally. I used to go to a health club, to workout.
I don't go anywhere to workout now- I do it at home barefoot. Its so much more enjoyable. Shoes ruin it for me.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:32 AM

13 posts, read 12,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Even start on grass first off.
Although that advice seems to make sense, it's actually a recipe for failure!
Ken Bob Saxton has always recommended treating grass as one would dessert, it feels great but should be limited to just a little bit for fun AFTER a run. The problem is running on grass encourages heel striking, which is what barefoot running is supposed to eliminate.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:39 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,179 times
Barefoot runnning? A sure result would be plantar fasciitis.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:41 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times
I know this is a VERY OLD THREAD revived by Longbass, but I wanted to comment anyway.

The conditions for me to run barefoot would have to be perfect, and I would only do it very very occasionally. I'll take running in my Mizunos each time really. The ONLY time I would ever consider running barefoot is on a rubber track like they use at indoor track meets. Some high schools and colleges have them and that is the ONLY way Id do it.

Cromwell track at USC is probably one of the only places I'd do it. Not on a trail or on the street.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:09 PM

13 posts, read 12,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Barefoot runnning? A sure result would be plantar fasciitis.
PF is pretty rare in the unshod community. Most of us stretch the plantar fascia daily, which is the correct preventative action. It's the age related loss of elasticity that's the real culprit. Shod runners typically have their arch splinted most of the day, so yes, THEY will develop PF if transitioning improperly.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:37 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I do it at home barefoot.
I think I just saw a bumper sticker that said that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness