Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:44 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times

Advertisements

You'll enjoy UAF.
Now, as I have said before, and others have stated here, DO NOT BUY ANY WINTER GEAR TILL YOU GET HERE!
It'll be cheaper, bigger selection, and useful. Show up with a coat if you must, but look around. See what others are wearing. ASK!!!!!!
We laugh sometimes at the "trendy folks" ( we call them the 'beaners and 'bellas), looking like a walking LL Bean or Cabellas catalog.
Anyhoo, enjoy your rtime at UAF. A pilot's license from Alaska looks pretty decent on any resume.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 PM

69 posts, read 321,037 times
Good choice of a University! GO NANOOKS!

My nephew, born and raised in Fairbanks, is in his senior year at UAF this year. He could have gone anywhere (Notre Dame, MSU, etc) on full ride hockey scholarships and he chose UAF. Which says something.

You are going to have so much fun learning to fly and meeting new people.

Check out a couple home hockey games while your there. If you can't make a game you can listen to them on KSUA internet radio. The only team in the CCHA with a radio station that broadcast the games live on the internet FREE.

Did I say GO NANOOKS?!?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:16 PM

64 posts, read 425,036 times
Layers. that's the way you do it. I only use my Canadian Goose Down UBER Parka when I'm up in the Brooks Range in the WINTER... and honestly, even then I usually wear my winter/arctic carharts.

BOOTS!!!

Don't shop places like walmart, either. I mean, they tend to carry stuff that will work fine for Colorado, Illinois, or Florida, but NOT Alaska. Freddy's will have a good selection, are established. if you want more sporty feel, do the Beaver Sports. Big Ray's and outfitters will work great. But, it all depends on style, durability, and what you want.

Just remember, dress right... don't be walking outside after drinking.. and you'll be fine.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:51 AM

Location: Oakland, CA, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Universe
9 posts, read 27,523 times
Did anyone who needed financial aid get what they needed? That question is especially for anyone who was an out-of-state-student at UAF?

Old 07-21-2007, 03:56 AM

5 posts, read 15,389 times
Wish they would put the Gold Kings back in Fairbanks.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:43 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,330 times
The Campus has a shuttle bus service that take you from lower to upper campus as needed. It runs pretty regular. The Borough bus takes you through town etc, probably not as often as you would expect in Oakland but you will get used to it.

My son took some classes there last year and one of his comments is some of the Professors are foreign and sometimes understanding them through there accents was very difficult. I would expect your A&P instructors will most likely be locals. There is a pretty good Airframe and Power plant course here.

Good Luck, I think you will enjoy the country and oppertunities it offers.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:07 AM

872 posts, read 3,585,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWExcelsiorE View Post
Did anyone who needed financial aid get what they needed? That question is especially for anyone who was an out-of-state-student at UAF?
This is from the College Board website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by College Board
College Search - University of Alaska Fairbanks: At a Glance[/url] Aid Statistics

Full-time freshman enrollment: 750
Number who applied for need-based aid: 736
Number who were judged to have need: 287
Number who were offered aid: 255
Number who had full need met: 73

Average percent of need met: 64%
Average financial aid package: $7,973
Average need-based loan: $5,972
Average need-based scholarship or grant award: $4,112
Average non-need based aid: $2,205
Average indebtedness at graduation: $12,520

Percent of total undergraduate aid awarded as:
Scholarships / grants: 25%
Loans / jobs: 75%

Non-need-based aid
determined by:
State/District Residency
Leadership
ROTC
Athletics
Music/Drama
Art
Academics

Contact Information
UAF Financial Aid Office:
(888) 474-7256
UAF: Financial Aid: Home
financialaid@uaf.edu
College Search - University of Alaska Fairbanks: Cost & Financial Aid

Hope this helps you.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:59 AM

Location: Oakland, CA, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Universe
9 posts, read 27,523 times
Yeah, I've already been to College Board and what not, and I got the average, but 9,380 students go to UAF so average can a little vast.........736 students asked for aid and 287 got it.....hmm...............

Old 07-23-2007, 01:48 PM

144 posts, read 744,325 times
Dont' forget to factor in that summertime is always in-state tuition for all students
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks