Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:52 AM

47 posts, read 150,357 times

Advertisements

It's getting close... my flight is next Wednesday, and I'm still packing cartons and shipping them from the post office. "Starting over"... again.

Can anyone recommend an extended-stay motel in Fairbanks?

I'm starting work on December 1st, and will need to find a place to call "home"; but a week-or-two at a motel/somewhere with reasonable rates will be fine. I need to know that I'll have somewhere to lay my head, upon arriving.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 AM

1,396 posts, read 3,443,230 times
I stayed at the Sophie Station once with suites that have fully equipped kitchens.

Sophie Station Hotel - All suite accommodations in Fairbanks, Alaska (http://www.fountainheadhotels.com/sophie/sophie.htm - broken link)

Also, on the same site there's 3 links, the Bridgewater Hotel, Wedgewood Resort and Bear lodge located at the top of the page.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:46 AM

89 posts, read 168,003 times
I also stayed at Sophie Station when I came up for my job interview, very nice and friendly. The lounge was nice and a great way to meet people. I don't know the cost because my employment took care of it.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:14 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
You might try some of the B&B's in the area, the cost is cheaper and may be what you want too.

What kind of work are you going to do?

List of Fairbanks Area Bed and Breakfasts

Old 11-07-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
You might try some of the B&B's in the area, the cost is cheaper and may be what you want too.

What kind of work are you going to do?

List of Fairbanks Area Bed and Breakfasts
First of all, thank you very much for the info! I appreciate your taking the time and effort required.

I'll be working in my field -- computer systems administration -- and look forward to it!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:17 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,443,230 times
B&Bs may be cheaper but then you have to eat out which cost more.

Spoiler
Unless you're a McDonald's fan

Old 11-07-2009, 05:37 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
*Resists clicking on spoiler.*

Extended Stay Hotels - - Fairbanks, AK Hotel

Old 11-07-2009, 11:05 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
Try Alaska 7 Gables Fairbanks, Alaska, bed and breakfast, hotel suites and extended stay accommodations at 7 Gables Inn & Suites

Old 11-08-2009, 12:24 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
My Belgian Friends stayed there and let me tell you that the long term stay units are NOT anywhere near the B&B part. They are small and more like efficiency apartments. They might be exactly what you are looking for but definitely ask for pictures of the exact units you might be renting.

I would also look into the Wedge-Wood Resort. If you have family, they are bigger and are occasionally used by the Military Families when PCSing.

Fairbanks Extended Stay Options with Fountainhead Hotels (http://www.fountainheadhotels.com/extended/extendedstay.htm - broken link)

Old 11-08-2009, 06:50 AM

Thanks to everyone!

I opted to take a week at the Best Western Chena River Lodge. At $68/night, with WiFi and lots more, it'll give me a chance to unwind, after the stresses of packing and shipping, and all the rest. And, if I can't find a 1BR/1BA apartment within the week, I can extend my stay.

We have a saying in Hebrew: כל התחלות קשות (all beginnings are difficult) and, from my life's experiences, I know this to be true. But there's another saying, in Aramaic: לפום צערה אגרה (the reward is according to the suffering).

So, I'm returning to Alaska -- this time, to Fairbanks -- at the start of the winter... bring it on!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks