Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 AM

348 posts, read 1,051,422 times

Advertisements

Two days ago I applied for a state position with the State of Minnesota, and its office will be in Moorhead.

In the past two days, I read lots of your threads (too many oil field threads). If offered, I will plan to use the Craigslist or similar to find a temporary place to live. Then I would start to search for an apartment during the summer.

Now where is the best start to live in Fargo/Moorhead? Based on other threads, you discussed South Moorhead and West Areas. Perhaps I overlooked. Let me read to your recommendations. Thanks.

Last edited by amerideaf; 11-05-2011 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: oop on one word. changed from what to where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:50 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Hi

I would also use the following website...it is from Forum Communications which publishes the Fargo Forum and other papers. It is pretty comprehensive as well and also lists ads put in the newspaper.

ApartmentsHQ | Your headquarters for Red River Valley area apartments - Fargo, Moorhead, West Fargo, Dilworth, Casselton, Glyndon

South Moorhead and southwest areas of Fargo are mentioned because they are the newer areas of both towns.

Something to keep in mind...there is tax reciprocity between North Dakota and Minnesota. You will only pay income tax in the state where you live. You will need to file a short form with the state of Minnesota each year to avoid them taking taxes out, if you decide to live in North Dakota and work in Minnesota. If you live and work in Minnesota, nothing needs to be done with North Dakota tax folks.

Income tax in North Dakota is about 3.5 pct and in Minnesota it is about 7 pct so it would be to your advantage to live in Fargo as you would only have to pay the 3.5 pct income tax versus if you lived in Moorhead.

Now if you ever buy a house, real estate taxes are quite a bit less in Minnesota than North Dakota, so for owning a house is close to an even split. But for renting, you want to live in ND.

For a nice 2BR apartment with garage and W/D expect to pay 900-1000/mo.... but there are many less than this.

Fargo overall is the cheaper of the cities to live in, as compared to Grand Forks, Bismarck and others.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:11 AM

Oh, I see. This area is called the Red River Valley (thanks) so I will google that name. Oh, I just plan to rent.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerideaf View Post
Oh, I see. This area is called the Red River Valley (thanks) so I will google that name. Oh, I just plan to rent.
Yes the entire region is the Red River valley.... technically the valley itself is about 40-50 miles wide....a bit narrower in the south end and wider in the north end along the Canadian border. Water flows north from Lake Traverse to Winnipeg then eventually to the Hudson Bay.

For renting only....to save money....I would rent in Fargo (to save income tax) unless your job requires you to live in MN (as I see you would work for the state). In that case South Moorhead is newer and a bit farther away from the college crowd around Moorhead State and Concordia. Other towns within driving distance are Dilworth to the east....Barnesville is farther east....but these towns are pretty small and not really a place of rentals more of a place to buy. But there could be a few spots I am not aware of. But winter weather and blowing snow issues would favor more city living. If you are not required in live in Minnesota, check out the tax differences in income tax between the two states.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:24 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,594 times
There are also getting to be some rather nice rental options in and near both downtowns. So if you prefer areas with walking paths and fully grown trees instead of the windswept prairie, you might want to take a look there as well.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:24 AM

No idea on the requirement on living in the same state. A decade ago I worked for the Maryland government while living in Rehoboth Beach Delaware.

This Minnesota state position covers the clients in the following counties: Norman, Mahnomen, Clay, Becker, Wilkin, Ottertail, Wadena, Todd, Douglas, Grant, Traverse.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 AM

Thanks to Dutchind. Yes on fully grown trees with biking paths.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:32 AM

Yes downtown Fargo is a nice option...as downtown is now getting busier and you will be near some restaurants, night spots. Most of the shopping is out along 13th Ave S west of I-29 and then down 45th St SW toward I-94.

Fargo is a big enough city to offer many options for you....

Old 11-05-2011, 09:20 AM

Perhaps in the area of Fercho YMCA since it is only 1.5 miles from a work site in Moorhead.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Best of 2011: The Winners could be helpful. The winner of the "Best Place To Take A Visitor" is Downtown!

Last edited by amerideaf; 11-05-2011 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Add a sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo