Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 39,375 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We're relocating to Fargo from Omaha. We're unsure about how long we'll living in the area, so we'll be renting a place. We have two kids and a dog, and are used to living in single family homes. We're just an average, middle class family. I'd like to live in a neighborhood with other young families, the kind of place where neighbors are out working in their yards or playing with their kids. . . somewhere with a real sense of community. I'm looking for somewhere safe and clean, with good schools for the kids when they're ready to go. My husband will be working near the airport, and if the neighborhood near there are right, it would be nice for him to be able to bike to work when the weather is nice. However, living in a nice neighborhood would be more important than proximity to work.

I am a stay at home mom. I like to do things with the kids frequently, and would like to be near parks or other attraction for children. We'd also love to be involved with a neighborhood play group.

Since we don't know the city at all, would anyone have any suggestions for us? I know that a "good area" is subjective, but if anyone knows of an area that might fit what we're looking for, I could use the guidence.

Thank you.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:38 PM

71 posts, read 206,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa11111 View Post
However, living in a nice neighborhood would be more important than proximity to work.

That would make me suggest West Fargo.

(I don't know much about Fargo neighborhoods.)

Old 09-21-2008, 12:58 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,357 times
There really isn't a "bad" place to live in Fargo. Downtown has a few weirdos, drunken rowdiness.

I'd say you'd have the best of both worlds in North Fargo. Short drive to Hector (or a longish bike ride, if he doesn't mind a small sweat) and the neighborhoods are nice, albiet old homes (I prefer older homes <shrugs>). I'd think the closest neighborhood to Hector would be undesirable, it's near NDSU and there's a lot of traffic during the school year.

But, if driving ain't a big deal. Yah, west fargo or south Moorhead. But I have to tell ya, I've been walking to work ever since I moved here and I only need to get one tank a gas a month if I don't leave town. It's pretty awesome on the checking account.

Last edited by Old Surrender; 09-21-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 09-21-2008, 04:44 PM

Thank you to both who have replied so far. This made me chuckle, "Downtown has a few weirdos, drunken rowdiness." It wouldn't be much of a downtown without a few weirdos and a little drunken rowdiness, now, would it?

Thanks again.
Melissa

Old 09-21-2008, 06:09 PM

419 posts, read 1,396,965 times
Neighborhoods on the North side are named after the elementary school. McKinley is the nearest school to the airport. It has many homes from the 60's and 70's; it's a fine neighborhood and a good school. Longfellow is farther east and runs along the Red River in the NE corner of the city. It is the neighborhood w/ the most expensive homes on the north side and probably has the public perception of being the best neighborhood in North Fargo. Washington and Horace Mann/Roosevelt may also be options for you. Madison is a bit more mixed w/ industrial areas.
In terms of a sense of community, there is one main grocery store in North Fargo; you almost always run into someone you know at the Northport Hornbachers. The Fargo Public Library offers storytimes at its Northport branch library; that may be a place to meet other moms w/ preschoolers (you mentioned a playgroup, which made me think you had pre-schoolers, but I could be wrong in my assumption).

Old 09-21-2008, 06:35 PM

Actually, there's 2 biggish groceries on the north side. The Sunmart on University North.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:19 AM

Thank you, dutchinnd and Old Surrender, for your input.

Two grocery stores? Is Fargo a very small town? I had the impression that it was a medium sized city. I had a vision of it being similar to Athens, GA or College Station, TX. Perhaps I'm overestimating the size of Fargo.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Hi

Fargo is a city....pop of over 90,000 in the city limits itself with West Fargo right next door adding another 20,000....and adding Moorhead MN across the river and a few rural areas metro pop is close to 180,000.

The previous posters were talking about north Fargo only in regards to grocery stores. The main growth in town over the last two decades as been in south Fargo. So rest assured there are many many grocery stores in the entire city of Fargo and neighboring west Fargo to choose from.

The Fargo area has all the shopping stores you would most ever need. And the outlet at Albertville is 3 hours down I-94.

Now....I have never lived in Fargo so dont know about specific neighborhoods unlike the two other posters.

Dan in East Grand Forks MN

Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 PM

There's a lot of grocery stores in Fargo-Moorhead. Just two main ones on the north side. There's three chains I can think of (hornbackers, Cashwise, Sunmart) Targets, Wal-Marts and an independently owned organic store.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 AM

Thank you again, everyone, for your responses! I appreciate it.

I have another question, this time about pets in Fargo. We have a 70 lb labrador. She's an indoor dog (ie, doesn't sleep outside, lives primarily in the house). She likes when it snows in the winter. She goes outside and simply goes nuts. However, I'm worried that it might get too cold in Fargo; I'm worried her feet my freeze. Do people put shoes on their dogs when it's below zero? How does that work? She would only be out to do her business, but I'm just afraid it might be too cold for her to go out without clothes. Am I crazy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo