Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Women should probably stick with the capris, shorts, especially short ones make women look "loose."
That's it. You're either a troll, or certifiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 02:06 PM

207 posts, read 548,906 times
Quote:
For all those claiming shorts are a must in the summer heat, ever heard of the Middle East or Asia? There are plenty of people who live in climates hotter then the USA but don't wear shorts. Look at the majority of the shorts on the market, they make people look like clowns, you have the shorts that are an inch or two from being pants, or the ones that only cover half the thigh.....
I live in an unincorporated Open Range area of the Sonora Desert. Temps here (at least this time of year) run 105-124 deg. F. We don't wear shorts. We wear Wranglers and boots... and often as not long sleeved shirts. I'm not sure when this 'shorts' thing began... but it's a ghetto culture influence... particularly with those ridiculous 'board' shorts. I haven't worn short pants since I was six years old (if that) unless I'm out in the canoe someplace where I might have to portage. There are many reasons for 'long' pants... but for the heat... they abosrb moisture (sweat) that would otherwise evaporate rapidly. High plains dehydration comes quickly... This desert will kill you if you let it. I have to agree with Young Herman... most men who wear shorts look like clowns... or scruffy something-or-others. There's no personal pride in appearance anymore.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
I live in an unincorporated Open Range area of the Sonora Desert. Temps here (at least this time of year) run 105-124 deg. F. We don't wear shorts. We wear Wranglers and boots... and often as not long sleeved shirts. I'm not sure when this 'shorts' thing began... but it's a ghetto culture influence... particularly with those ridiculous 'board' shorts. I haven't worn short pants since I was six years old (if that) unless I'm out in the canoe someplace where I might have to portage. There are many reasons for 'long' pants... but for the heat... they abosrb moisture (sweat) that would otherwise evaporate rapidly. High plains dehydration comes quickly... This desert will kill you if you let it. I have to agree with Young Herman... most men who wear shorts look like clowns... or scruffy something-or-others. There's no personal pride in appearance anymore.
I don't know what kind of shorts you are referring to, but "board shorts" are close fitting surf/swimming shorts and there is nothing "ghetto" about them. As far as personal pride, if you don't know how to dress properly, then it doesn't matter if you wear shorts or pants. You'll fail. Sorry, but shorts are absolutely a perfectly appropriate item of clothing, for both women and men.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:58 AM

615 posts, read 545,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
It is nice to see there are people out there that agree with me. The way shorts are made guys can't but help look like clowns when wearing shorts. Shorts have a time and a place, they are suitable for a few things in life, but that is it. I always thought long pants served a purpose in hot/desert climates, the dehydartion stuff makes a lot of sense.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Women should probably stick with the capris, shorts, especially short ones make women look "loose."
Women's Shorts at Lands' End

really?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Men's Shorts & Swimwear at Lands' End

this is "low class?"

Old 08-07-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Exactly. Shorts can be very nice looking!!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
I used to be against shorts, but if you shop around you can find a nice pair. Slim fit, mens capri look great on slim to average fit males. You see this all over in Europe. Also you can roll the right fitting pants. Certain above the knee shorts look great depending on your size & color you buy.

Absorb more vitamin d and stay cooler.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:40 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
I personally don't enjoy wearing shorts, but that's just because of my body. I see nothing wrong with men and women wearing shorts.

I'd rather see a man in shorts than capris. THAT is just wrong!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
shorts on men are fine. No cut-offs or too wide when they sit we can see up them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty