Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

If I reach the end of my life with perfect skin, immaculate hair, unbroken nails, and a well-preserved body I will be extremely disappointed that I could have and should have had many more adventures, love, and wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Want to look younger longer? Don't smoke, don't do illegal drugs, don't drink more than townalcoholic drinks a day, don't sun tan, eat healthier, drink more water, and do moderate exercise. I put smoking first becaus the chemicals in cigs wear down cologne and form virticle wrinkles around the mouth and sagging jowls.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Want to look younger?

Have the professional hair, makeup and wardrobe people that Demi, Suzanne and Jane (all mentioned earlier) have at their disposal. And the plastic surgeons. And the lighting technicians and the camermen. And, my personal favorite, the wind machine. There's a reason work in a film studio starts well before sunrise. The actors are sitting getting their faces done and the crew on set is making sure the wrinkles won't show. Unless Makeup draws them in.

I've made a promise to myself to not name drop but I've seen some pretty famous women without their makeup. They look like everybody else. Some better. Some worse. And once they have makeup on you can't even SEE their skin.

But Suzanne and Jane have made oodles of money telling the American woman they weren't good enough. That they need a tighter butt or thinner thighs. I'm all for self improvement, but come on. All the thighmasters in the world aren't going to equal what some well-known women get from their doctors when they turn on the liposuction machine. I saw some new face work on Piers Morgan just a few nights ago. Does that family never stop?

If y'all are insecure enough to want to buy into all of that... Feel free.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Be supportive, not in the box or sexist. Encourage her to eat well, buy her skincare, let her go to a spa, let her spend her own money on herself.....help her with pms & any stress she has...... it's all related.
I wouldn't marry someone who was sexist. I'm the one who decides what we eat; it's not my husband's job. My husband wouldn't know a cleanser from an eye-cream; not his job to buy me skin care. I make most of my own anyway. If he ever once thought I needed to ask permission to go to a spa, he'd be begging permission from my lawyer to not have to give me half of everything he owns in the divorce. Same thing with "letting" me spend my own money however I damned well please.

He helps me when I'm feeling grouchy and stressed for the same reason I help him when he's feeling grouchy and stressed. We're married. That's the job of a spouse.

Perhaps some day when you've had a long-term relationship, and experienced more in life than what you can find in a strip of lean steak and a jar of skin cream, you'll have a better idea about what people should and shouldn't "let" their spouses do. Til then, maybe just stick to talking about lean strips of meat and skin cream.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:48 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
It's perfectly fine to want to look younger/good for your age...... there is even a book written about it, How to Not Look Old by Charla Kruppf. There are websites & articles all over the Internet about How to Look Ten Years Younger. Google it. I think there was even a TV show in the UK.

This along with the cougar movement, Demi Moore Suzanne Somerset etc have spawned a whole new zeitgeist---- losing your looks after 40 isn't the issue. Refusing to do something about it is.

I've noticed the culture is more ageist than ever...... in any case there is a ton of info about antiaging online. Internet skincare & beauty boards are a great source. Almost all I've read recommend a $50 product called Retin-a. Of course diet is part of it, but it can only do so much. Diet can't build collagen. Read the Perricone Prescription....low glycemic is the way to go & salmon definitely has a smoothing, anti inflammatory effect on the skin. I did the Perricone approach throughout my 30s, really helped me a lot. But a good diet doesn't build collagen.....

I'm not sure why people perceive anti aging beauty stuff as shallow or narcissistic.... the culture has changed. I decided to change with it.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:57 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Thats a stupid ass study & far from the truth.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
You know, lemon&lime, I am not against self improvement. I am not against wanting to be your best. Not at all. What I do object to is being told constantly that something in a bottle is the key to beauty. The key to beauty is what we, as women, think of ourselves. The beautiful woman is, IMHO, the woman who accepts that her grandmother came from Pakistan and her father from Rhodesia and she is never going to be the svelt blonde goddess Hollywood tells her she must be. (I object strongly to Hollywood telling women they have to be slim and blonde. And I'm slim and blonde. But not everybody gets that DNA. Why are we listening to people who are selling us a product telling us our hair has to look like we never left Finland? So they can make more money with some artificial standard?)

I will name a name and tell who who is the most beautiful Hollywood star I ever saw: Natalie Wood. My god, that woman was beautiful. And I saw her, more than once, with minimal makeup. Just out with her daughters. Yes she had a beautiful face and hair. But looking at her you realised half of her secret was how she carried herself. I saw her surrounded by her family, who didn't care that she was a star - they just saw "Mom", when she was happy doing normal things and that woman glowed.

But haven't we all seen that woman? The one who may have inexpensive clothes but knows how to dress? The older woman who has a face that says, "Yeah. I raised 5 kids and I'm old, but I'm a survivor"? The awkward 13 year old with bad skin and a face full of braces who, you know in your gut, is going to come out of her cocoon and be the All American Beauty.

You can't buy that. Eat right. Yes. Drink water. Yes. Use a sunscreen. Yes. But accept your wrinkles and surround yourself with people who love you no matter what you look like. Surround yourselves with people who accept your flaws. Who accept that you are a 50 year old woman and you look like a 50 year old woman. That's not a sin! Wrinkles are not a sin! Some people get them. That's life. What is a sin is thinking that we women need to look younger or we won't be attractive. Personally, I'd get a new man if I had one (and I don't thank God) who thinks I should look like I'm 30.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:36 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Heck, women start to lose their looks after about 22-23 year old. Its all downhill for them after that.

Take Britney Spears and Ashlee Simpson for example. Britney was HOT when she was 18 years old. HOT HOT HOT. Now look at her. She turns 30 years old this year and even though she still looks better than your average chick, she's no where near the hotness she was at age 18. Ashlee Simpson with her nose job and all. I never really thought of her as being attractive (remember the stupid ho-down dance she did on SNL when she goofed up her song?) but while watching the movie "The Hot Chick" yesterday on TV, she made an appearance and she was SMOKING HOT!!! I mean SMOKING. She was about 17 or 18 years old then.

Bottom line people is that we all lose our looks as we age, so its important that we cultivate our personalities and try to stay in as good a physical shape as we possibly can so that we CAN age and still enjoy life.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:45 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
I will never accept a lined, tired face as inevitable...nor will I surround myself with people who think aging is normal. I'd rather set higher standards for myself health-wise & spend time with people who have similar values.

A lovely website about how easy it is to use Retin-a....
Welcome to Skinacea! - Happy Skin is Happy me

My only regret is that I didn't start using it sooner! 30 something ladies, don't play around with your looks....get on a good skincare regime *before* you turn 40.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:47 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
I will never accept a lined, tired face as inevitable...nor will I surround myself with people who think aging is normal. I'd rather set higher standards for myself health-wise & spend time with people who have similar values.
That is one of the saddest posts I have ever read on C-D. I feel sorry for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty