Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of the problem is that larger sizes are still designed to fit large but proportionate women. Plus-size models still have flatter stomachs compared to the average large woman, and have waists. So, as far as I'm concerned, it's all misleading.

By the way, I classify "real women" by how the mass looks. I don't think "real" applies to the average women who are big OR skinny ~ NOT models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 03:36 PM

236 posts, read 860,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Yeah, I really mean no offense to anyone but that's actually kinda insulting. Fashion may fail certain kinds of women (it does), but even if they make up some majority and other girls don't, that doesn't make one group more "real" than the other. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the hostility that naturally thin girls or others get. If you're thin you're not a real women, you're also not just thin you're emaciated and sick looking, and you skipped all your meals and threw everything up to get that way, well, just saying.
Yeah, I understand that. I am thin and I have already dealt with conflict on the matter. ALL women have it tough when it comes to their appearance. No matter if you're curvy, skinny, obese, anorexic, short and tall. The problem is still there.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:51 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaPanda♥ View Post
Yeah, I understand that. I am thin and I have already dealt with conflict on the matter. ALL women have it tough when it comes to their appearance. No matter if you're curvy, skinny, obese, anorexic, short and tall. The problem is still there.
Also women over a certain age who don't want to look frumpy.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:04 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Charla Krupp comments on the state of evening wear for larger women:
Charla Krupp: Shopping for My Mom: How Fashion Fails Real Women
Just because we live in a nation of fat, lazy overeaters doesn't mean we should cater to that.

We as a society need to become healthier, not design fatter clothes

Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Just because we live in a nation of fat, lazy overeaters doesn't mean we should cater to that.

yes! in the meantime, they should be punished and wear clothing that does not fit. that will fix it

Old 03-21-2011, 05:35 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
yes! in the meantime, they should be punished and wear clothing that does not fit. that will fix it

Yep, a lot of people think we should all look the same.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:08 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post

Ahhh yes, there we go. The perfect solution... why didnt someone else think of that??

Brilliant!!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:45 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I have three different sizes in my wardrobe. It messes with your head.

From that article: average size is 14 & bra size is 38 DD

I don't get how we're rated just as fat

our average size is 14, however when looking a dress size, a size 14 in US = Aus size 12
Thanks for the info. I was confused.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Yeah, I really mean no offense to anyone but that's actually kinda insulting. Fashion may fail certain kinds of women (it does), but even if they make up some majority and other girls don't, that doesn't make one group more "real" than the other. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the hostility that naturally thin girls or others get. If you're thin you're not a real women, you're also not just thin you're emaciated and sick looking, and you skipped all your meals and threw everything up to get that way, well, just saying.

I agree with what you said about the hostility directed at thin women by "real" women, especially those of us who would be "real" if we didn't diet and work out every day.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I didn't read the title as a snub to thinner women, but I can see how it could be construed that way. Poor choice of words, unless the author wanted to rile people up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty