Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times

Advertisements

I would agree that "mature" would be code for less makeup, no cleavage, conservative hair style, no "fad" clothing.

I had to laugh though, because this is the first post I've ever seen where looking "mature" is a plus, usually employers want to get rid of us ol' mature ones (and anybody that remotely looks mature). That's why we have alot of older women dressing like young girls these days! I don't get it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:55 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
As I know Mir in person, I think the only problem of this nature might be the glittery eye shadows she likes to wear...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...f-oct-2010.jpg

Oops, I guess there might be a little too much cleavage on this picture, too, dear! But that should BRING business!
hey! That's a picture of me on a night out..of course I was wearing sparkly things, but I don't do that for work. the dress I'm wearing there isn't even that low cut, I just have a hard time cause of the huge balls on my chest that I have, lol.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
hey! That's a picture of me on a night out..of course I was wearing sparkly things, but I don't do that for work.
I'm just guessing... I've seen you twice and being a "tree" struck down by a hurricane wasn't your best hair look.

Quote:
I just have a hard time cause of the huge balls on my chest that I have, lol.
Hey, some will kill for those!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What do you wear to work now that would bring on the "need to mature" criticism?
well yesterday when the DM came in (who told my manager to tell me to "mature" my appearance), I was wearing black pants (loose fitted through the leg) and I had to layer my white top with a tank top underneath a solid white top that had a scoop neckline. The top underneath peaked out the neckline of the top I had over it so I don't think I had any cleavage showing. As for shoes, I was wearing black ballet flats. I hadn't had time to do my hair and since my hair is naturally wavy (its a beachy wave look, hate it) and looks like a mess if I don't put it back, I had to put it in a half ponytail. Also, my chin has been breaking out with like 5 huge pimples all the sudden (grrrr) and cover up worsens my uber sensitive skin so I had to leave it and that was something that my manager brought up also. My skin is so sensitive I even have to be careful with blush. lame.

Also somebody posted a list of what I should wear. We're allowed to wear pretty much any type of nice shoe as long as they're not sneakers so I can even wear open toed sandals if I wanted. The jewelry I wear can only be from the store I work for, which they let me borrow on every shift. I have one black skirt that I'm starting to think I can't wear to work. Its super swingy, in a chiffon and silk material and hits a couple inches above the knee. any thoughts?

Someone else said that they were saying nicely that I dress to "skanky"...not even close. I tend to wear fitted clothes only cause I'm curvy and baggy looks awful on me, but I don't show skin when/where I shouldn't be.

Anonchick- I do wear colored lip gloss. My profile pics must not have picked it up, haha.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I'm just guessing... I've seen you twice and being a "tree" struck down by a hurricane wasn't your best hair look.

Hey, some will kill for those!
haha, I HATED my hair that night. I have friends taht are out to make me ugly and they wonder why I grow resentful, lol. All the other girls had more appropriate hair..oh well.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Also, my chin has been breaking out with like 5 huge pimples all the sudden (grrrr) and cover up worsens my uber sensitive skin so I had to leave it and that was something that my manager brought up also.
How rude! As if there's anything you can do about it... Who do they think they are?! It's a stupid retail job - a dime a dozen! Just go find another one.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
If the skirt were -below- the knee, then the swingy chiffon would be terrific. Unfortunately, it's not really appropriate if you're presenting yourself in a jewelry-retail environment. You don't want customers looking at your legs. You want them looking at the bracelets.

For the shirt, tank tops that are visible, whether by peeking up from, or seen through, another shirt, are not appropriate. A solid shell with a vest or waist-length light-weight jacket would be fine though. It sounds like you're wearing very casual stuff. One thing that could be very pretty, very comfy and casual, but still provide a professional touch:

Get a lace-top camisole. Wear it under a deep v-neck shirt, so that the lace sticks up from the V. All your skin is covered, but you still get to have the femine touch, and not the "stuffy" look it sounds like you're trying to avoid.

As for the zits on your chin, your manager will just have to accept that you have zits on your chin. She can't force you to cover them up with makeup. Maybe she could buy you a pretty silk veil

Old 04-07-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
How rude! As if there's anything you can do about it... Who do they think they are?! It's a stupid retail job - a dime a dozen! Just go find another one.
ya, I didn't know how to take that comment. People always have something to say about acne, not that I get it all the time either.

If they keep being ridiculous than I will have to look somewhere else.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If the skirt were -below- the knee, then the swingy chiffon would be terrific. Unfortunately, it's not really appropriate if you're presenting yourself in a jewelry-retail environment. You don't want customers looking at your legs. You want them looking at the bracelets.

For the shirt, tank tops that are visible, whether by peeking up from, or seen through, another shirt, are not appropriate. A solid shell with a vest or waist-length light-weight jacket would be fine though. It sounds like you're wearing very casual stuff. One thing that could be very pretty, very comfy and casual, but still provide a professional touch:

Get a lace-top camisole. Wear it under a deep v-neck shirt, so that the lace sticks up from the V. All your skin is covered, but you still get to have the femine touch, and not the "stuffy" look it sounds like you're trying to avoid.

As for the zits on your chin, your manager will just have to accept that you have zits on your chin. She can't force you to cover them up with makeup. Maybe she could buy you a pretty silk veil
that's exactly what I did yesterday. Most of my cami's are lace-top. I wear casual stuff because none of my coworkers wear anything super businessy so I get confused, plus I can only wear 2 colors..which rules out all my super businessy clothes that I actually do own. I don't have vests (don't really like them) but I have waist length jackets...that I can only wear in black if its a cover up. I only have gray, white, off white and brown. lol, see how frustrating this is? they don't pay enough for me to go out and buy all this black and white, otherwise it woudln't be an issue.

Ya, I told my manager about how sensitive my skin is and that I'm on BC pills and a skin care regimen. I only get hormonal acne (chin area mostly) now and there's almost nothing you can do to stop it, unless diet can change that, who knows. Acne facials are expensive too and those work better than my skin care regimens, but I can't afford that right now. Regardless, she said she'd talk to my DM and let her know about my "issue".

Old 04-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
they don't pay enough for me to go out and buy all this black and white, otherwise it woudln't be an issue.
Exactly! So they're not entitled to this sort of pickiness!

Quote:
Regardless, she said she'd talk to my DM and let her know about my "issue".
I'd tell them to shove their "issue" where it doesn't shine and go find another job. That's a 2nd job for you anyway and it's nothing worth even giving a 2nd thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty