Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,182,160 times

Advertisements

Old Navy
Carson Pirie & Scott
Macy's
T.J. Maxx
Marshall's
The Gap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 PM

297 posts, read 740,890 times
Any stores that make clothes with a giant logo on them. Probably includes every store except J. Crew.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,594 times
Walmart.
I hate how when you try and find a larger size, they're just wider and not longer and wider.
Just doesn't make sense

Old 05-07-2012, 03:41 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,982,574 times
Abercrombie and Hollister were bound to come up in this thread - and they have, multiple times.

I think the thing with these brands is that they were intentionally designed to appeal to secure, outgoing, and humble young people. Some folks might take issue with my use of "humble" here, but the way I see it is that the people wearing those brands are just going with the flow of their friends and social circles, and not spending a lot of time worrying about differentiating themselves from others, which they actually prefer not to do so - and that's one definition of "humble". Abercrombie and Hollister do make durable, high-quality clothes, and they fit very well and make you look good. So all in all, these stores seem to be a convenient, one-stop shop for those to which they appeal.

Further, those to which they appeal seem to be kids who might be labeled "popular" by others. I'm almost a decade out of high school, but I've come to realize through reflection that the "popular" kids are simply those that are very secure, confident, and are occupying their time by working hard at school and filling the rest of their time with the extra-curricular activities they are interested in, which are most often sports. The "popular" kids are those that are focused on what they like and enjoy and on being social, rather than spending their time on categorizing others, harboring resentments, and otherwise mentally masturbating and self-loathing. So in the end, those who are less secure and less confident and preoccupied with B.S. are those who would be turned off by said clothing brands because in their heads they recognize what I just said about those who were the brands and don't feel a part of or feel like an outsider. I think this process is also responsible for a lot of sub-cultures (cliques) that form in high school and college.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHuGG_FsC20

Old 05-07-2012, 04:29 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,422 times
Victoria's Secret. Can't stand that store sometimes. I mean, who the hell buys sequined bras and panties? It gives people more reason to wear see-through and skimpy clothes to show their "sexy underwear and bra". They have the PINK line and is the epitome of why most females dress so tacky these days..bling on a hoodie, and don't even get me started with the letters on your ass. I don't understand why people go gaga for their stuff.. it's the reason why people can be so annoying. ugh And clearly, VS understands their appeal to these people who are obsessed with them and releases multiple scents at a time. i can remember a few years ago when they only had a few scents and I could remember them but now, I can't even keep up. If you think about it, it is a "mid-end" trashy store with "sexy" articulated all over their stuff. Their quality is horrible, yet they charge $50 for them when you can buy much better bras at Macy's. I don't remember the last time I saw a VS ad or product with "sexy" written and articulated all over them.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Victoria's Secret. Can't stand that store sometimes. I mean, who the hell buys sequined bras and panties? It gives people more reason to wear see-through and skimpy clothes to show their "sexy underwear and bra". They have the PINK line and is the epitome of why most females dress so tacky these days..bling on a hoodie, and don't even get me started with the letters on your ass. I don't understand why people go gaga for their stuff.. it's the reason why people can be so annoying. ugh And clearly, VS understands their appeal to these people who are obsessed with them and releases multiple scents at a time. i can remember a few years ago when they only had a few scents and I could remember them but now, I can't even keep up. If you think about it, it is a "mid-end" trashy store with "sexy" articulated all over their stuff. Their quality is horrible, yet they charge $50 for them when you can buy much better bras at Macy's. I don't remember the last time I saw a VS ad or product with "sexy" written and articulated all over them.
Maybe they're sexy and they know it! Is that really that hard to understand?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Maybe they're sexy and they know it! Is that really that hard to understand?

Including 10-year-old girls who wear them? Doing it to attract your SO is fine but when you're walking around the streets, it's obvious you're striving for attention.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Including 10-year-old girls who wear them?
My question still stands. You didn't mention anything about young girls above.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
My question still stands. You didn't mention anything about young girls above.
Teenage girls wear their stuff, for the most part. You should know that...or not.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Anyplace that markets a majority of items with big, tacky, notice-me logos and labels, and chintzy-looking printed-on designs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty