Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,873,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I paint my nails only once a month for the same reason.

Like your hair, your nails are dead cells. You can rub all kinds of potions on them, but they won't heal because they're dead. Your best bet is the vitamin, healthy living route, which will make your nails healthier as they grow out.
Yes, which is why the cuticle cream helps b/c it gets applied where the nail is still forming.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 02:34 PM

615 posts, read 1,677,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
My nails keep getting more and more brittle. All it takes is a little whack against the door jamb or a slight bend when I'm working in the yard wearing gloves and a nail starts to break way up in the nail bed, starting from the side going toward the center. I try to keep fairly long nails and they seldom break further out towards the tip.

I take a lot of vitamins including a women's multi, biotin, iron, calcium and apple cider vinegar. I do polish my nails regularly in the summer.

What's the best product to save my hard, brittle nails?

^^Sally hansen green tea and bamboo!!!! I'm on my 2nd bottle and LOVE it!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 PM

165 posts, read 323,356 times
Hands down... Nail Tek Xtra... Use that for about a month or two...or however long the bottle says... And then switch to Nail Tek Intensive Therapy. They're pricey (around $11/ bottle) but well worth the cost.

The Nail Tech Xtra stopped my toenails from splitting... And they have worked WONDERS for my fingernails... Most think I have an overlay on my nails because theyve gotten longer and stronger.

Sidenote: Nail tek is NOT the same as Nailtiques

Old 08-30-2011, 05:52 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,502,126 times
It doesn't matter what you use as long as you use it every night. Coconut, olive, nivea. I dated a hand model.

The nail will not retain the oil so persistence is what matters.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:39 PM

334 posts, read 538,304 times
Taking the supplement MSM will make your nails stronger. Health stores also sell Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,509,133 times
OP checking back in. I tried some Sally Hansen that didn't help and may have made it worse. I was reluctant to try the more expensive ones recommended here because I had tried some before (don't remember the brand but it was higher end stuff) which didn't work.

So instead I bought some MSM and silica and have been taking 1000 mg silica and 3000 mg MSM each day and I'm happy to report that after taking both products for 3 months or so my nails are less brittle. It did take some time to see a difference, so if anyone else with this problem is reading along, don't expect results in a couple weeks with the supplement change.

I whacked one on the gate latch hard enough to hurt which in the past would have been a goner and it's fine. I broke my thumbnail while trying to scrape a really stubborn label off but it broke at the tip, not up in the nail bed, so I'm happy with that. I still have 1/8 inch on it, big improvement, and I was doing something stupid that nails aren't meant for.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Nice to have a resource like this forum.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:49 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,060,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Rub olive oil into your nails and before you know it they will be strong and healthy. Works for me
I've noticed that, too.

I used to have to use OPI's nail envy on my nails to keep them nice. Otherwise they would get thin and break and peel and would just look really unhealthy.

I switched to using olive oil as a body and face moisturizer quite awhile ago and noticed my nails were getting healthier, I stopped using the nail envy and haven't used it since. My nails are great now... my issue now is finding a good nail file! I'm going through emory boards like crazy to keep them filed nice.

Olive Oil is good stuff!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 PM

541 posts, read 861,977 times
Quote:
OP checking back in. I tried some Sally Hansen that didn't help and may have made it worse. I was reluctant to try the more expensive ones recommended here because I had tried some before (don't remember the brand but it was higher end stuff) which didn't work.

So instead I bought some MSM and silica and have been taking 1000 mg silica and 3000 mg MSM each day and I'm happy to report that after taking both products for 3 months or so my nails are less brittle. It did take some time to see a difference, so if anyone else with this problem is reading along, don't expect results in a couple weeks with the supplement change.
Thank you for checking back and posting your results. I also found the Sally Hansen did nothing for my nails and when it peeled off it was no better for me than the damage from regular nail polish. The Nail Tek Xtra contains Formaldehyde which I have had terrible reactions to in the past when present in nail polish so I'm not going to attempt it!

I'm going to try the MSM/silica as I can't stand how bad my nails split and peel in the winter. I moisturize them constantly, maintain a very healthy diet and wear gloves when washing dishes, handling chemicals, etc. but still get splits to the pink (ouch!). Wish me luck!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,721,387 times
Quote:

I whacked one on the gate latch hard enough to hurt which in the past would have been a goner and it's fine. I broke my thumbnail while trying to scrape a really stubborn label off but it broke at the tip, not up in the nail bed, so I'm happy with that. I still have 1/8 inch on it, big improvement, and I was doing something stupid that nails aren't meant for.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Nice to have a resource like this forum.

Thanks for the follow up! I really love it when people do that.

Naturally Healthy Hair and Scalp - Benefits of Silica, MSM, B-Complex, and PABA

That link has some reasoning why those things worked. I found it interesting and thought I would share.

Which sally's did you try? Bamboo/green tea one or the 4 in 1?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,509,133 times
OP reporting again. I'm still high on MSM and silica, and I've been rubbing olive oil in most nights too at the suggestion of Larkspur and Wilson. I keep a bottle in the nightstand and apply it when I go to bed to watch the evening news. If I should die I hate to think what the person cleaning out my house is gonna think that's for.

I've been doing some pretty heavy yardwork including pruning trees. As I was putting my gloves on I noticed how long my nails are (about 1/4 inch past the nailbed) and thought I should trim them first. But I'm lazy so I didn't and expected at least one to be left in the gloves when I was finished. But no! I even grabbed something awkwardly and felt them bend, but they didn't break!

I'll start wearing polish again for the summer here pretty soon, and I think that'll be the real test. Wish me luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty