Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Wow, $1000.00 to try and impress someone you haven't seen in ten years, that to me is unbelieveable but good luck. I hope she spends as much on herself to try and impress you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Thought of something else: Visine.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
I prefer Queen Helene scrub and mint julep masque over the St. Ives scrub. I love quite a few of St. Ives other products, but their apricot scrub is too harsh. After I do a scrub, the masque, and a good steam treatment (I put very hot water and lemon slices into a bowl, then hold my head over the bowl with a towel over my head to trap in the steam... it's a wonderful way to steam your face...)... but after I do all that, I use Egyptian Magic on my face and it feels amazing. Then I place a hot damp towel (not too hot...) on my face and take a nap! Totally relaxing, and my face looks amazing afterwards. Before I discovered Egyptian Magic I used local honey and that is actually really great, too. I learned that trick at the Spa Luana in Hawaii.

The teeth whitening is really toxic. Anything that will burn a hole in your clothing should not be put in your mouth, IMO. The easiest way to keep your smile healthy and youthful looking is to: drink alcohol in moderation (only one glass on special occasions), don't do black teas, stay away from coffee.... NO SODA except perhaps Sprite or 7-Up or other clear ones, do not smoke.... brush and floss 2-3 times a day... and see your dentist every 6 months for a good cleaning. The spinbrushes and sonic toothbrushes also clean your teeth really good.

If you get proper sleep and drink half your body weight in ounces of water (for example: if you weigh 120 pounds, try to drink at last 60 ounces of water a day) and get daily exercise and eat good food, your skin should look fabulous at any age.

If I had a friend visiting and I only had about $1000 to spend... I'd do something really fun with that friend for the visit! Go on a shopping spree together, have a spa day together, see a show, do a concert, rent a limo to drive you around, hire a massage therapist to come to your home and give you both massages... $1000 can create a lot of memories. Anything to have fun and create a really memorable experience. Good friends don't care about lines on the face, especially if they know you've been through a stressful period in your life.

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 04-05-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,481 times
Just some very simple (and cheap) advice: Get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of water, get quality concealer and moisturizer. Maybe update your overall makeup/hair style.

The more rested and hydrated you are, the better your skin will look. Procedures are apt to be still noticeable this close to your target day.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I'm really not sure why certain people think that this was "to impress someone" while other people get it, and have given positive, practical and helpful advice.

I don't really care what anyone in this world looks like except for myself. I don't measure myself against others or against 21 year olds, or worse my daughter.

It's for MYSELF! I want to get back in the habit of pampering myself appropriately, and of taking care of myself.
I spend money on my family with out a thought, and yet I've gotten into the bad habit of begrudging myself what I would give freely to my teenagers.

For me, this is a wakeup call. I do think that this should all be routine, not an emergency.
There are those women blessed (and I am not sure if it is a blessing) with being able to be comfortable no mater how bad they look, or how out of date their clothes, or how much weight they have gained. Then there are woman who won't leave the house with out a full face of make up.

I am neither. However, a daily skin care plan and regular personal maintenance are only normal for me. Looking good has always enhanced what ever activity that I have been involved with.

I really can't express how grateful I am for the people who have given me suggestions, advice and encouragement! The past week has been so much fun and I've made a few friends on this forum, and look and feel so much better! Just the act of caring for myself has brought me back to myself.
Today, I have an appointment for Botox, a mani-pedi, (which will once again be a regular part of my life) and tomorrow I'll have my hair highlighted and cut. I am going to a meditation group in the evening, which should be interesting.

My whole family sees the difference in me. I am just more alive and full of joy!

And I am still enjoying all of my new toys!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 AM

467 posts, read 665,049 times
Sleep, eat Perricone Wrinkle Cure salmon diet & get Botox or fillers.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:49 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
I think it was just the "want to look younger in a week" title coupled with "Urgent question. On Easter I am being visited by an old friend and her family. I have not seen her for ten years." that gave the impression that you felt pressured to look younger for your visit from an old friend.

Sounds like you're feeling much better! That's great... meditation is wonderful. Dry sauna sessions are also very beneficial.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Urgent question. On Easter I am being visited by an old friend and her family. I have not seen her for ten years.

The past five years have been really stressful for me. If you are familiar with that "stress test" that measures life events that can impact your health, I am off the charts!

The following things have occurred within the past five years -

1. Loss of a loved one
2. health problems of spouse
3. loss of job
4. relocation to a new area
5. changes in friends and support system
6. forced to sell home for financial reasons

And others. I am OK and I'm greatful for what I have. However, the past few years have taken a tole on my face. I look more worn and tired. Sometimes I think I look haggard. It really has been hard on me.

The reality of this visit is just setting in. I was wondering if someone could suggest some treatments or minor procedures that I could have in the next week that would give me a fresher and more youthful look.

I really don't want to get into debates with people about plastic surgery. I am not opposed to it in moderation.

I have had Botox and a filler where I used to live. It was good. Because of all of the changes and moving, I am not as up on what people do as I once was.

I also do not like the general quality of my skin. It looks dull, slack and sallow I think it would also give me a bit of a psychological boost to look and feel better.

I only have about 1000$ that I can use.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!
Do a full body cleanse, then go on an organic juice fast for a week. Get outside and walk at least an hour a day in the sunlight. Drink lots of water and get at least 8 hours sleep every night.

You'll look like a new person in no time.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-05-2012, 10:30 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Do a full body cleanse, then go on an organic juice fast for a week. Get outside and walk at least an hour a day in the sunlight. Drink lots of water and get at least 8 hours sleep every night.

You'll look like a new person in no time.

20yrsinBranson
Always wanted to try that. I think I'll need a juicer, I misplaced mine in the move. It really sounds like a good idea, and a good way to cleanse rest and renew the body systems after a winter of sluggishness.

I think I'll try it after Easter, Branson.

Are there any particular fruits and veggies that you use? Is there a book on the subject that you could recommend? What benefits have you personally derived from this practice, assuming you have tried it.

I have heard that break outs are common during such a fast. Was that your experience?

Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm really not sure why certain people think that this was "to impress someone" while other people get it, and have given positive, practical and helpful advice.

I don't really care what anyone in this world looks like except for myself. I don't measure myself against others or against 21 year olds, or worse my daughter.

It's for MYSELF! I want to get back in the habit of pampering myself appropriately, and of taking care of myself.
I spend money on my family with out a thought, and yet I've gotten into the bad habit of begrudging myself what I would give freely to my teenagers.

For me, this is a wakeup call. I do think that this should all be routine, not an emergency.
There are those women blessed (and I am not sure if it is a blessing) with being able to be comfortable no mater how bad they look, or how out of date their clothes, or how much weight they have gained. Then there are woman who won't leave the house with out a full face of make up.

I am neither. However, a daily skin care plan and regular personal maintenance are only normal for me. Looking good has always enhanced what ever activity that I have been involved with.

I really can't express how grateful I am for the people who have given me suggestions, advice and encouragement! The past week has been so much fun and I've made a few friends on this forum, and look and feel so much better! Just the act of caring for myself has brought me back to myself.
Today, I have an appointment for Botox, a mani-pedi, (which will once again be a regular part of my life) and tomorrow I'll have my hair highlighted and cut. I am going to a meditation group in the evening, which should be interesting.

My whole family sees the difference in me. I am just more alive and full of joy!

And I am still enjoying all of my new toys!

If it truly is for YOURSELF you would not have said it was "urgent" and mentioned a "Friend you havent' seen for ten years".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty