Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:05 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite things to do is going to thrift shops to find cute clothes. I also love shopping at low-priced stores like Ross, Target and JC Penney.

I've always told myself that if I won the lotto, I wouldn't change a thing about the places I shop at. The most 'upscale' places I shop at now are places like Buckle, Express and Bebe, and even those aren't that expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 02:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I've always told myself that if I won the lotto, I wouldn't change a thing about the places I shop at. The most 'upscale' places I shop at now are places like Buckle, Express and Bebe, and even those aren't that expensive.
my wife said the same thing when we were in school. i didnt believe her back then and she is singing a different tune today.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Well in Austin, that guy you see outside the nice restaurant with the long hair, worn and dirty cut-offs and stained T-shirt is likely to be the owner.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Well in Austin, that guy you see outside the nice restaurant with the long hair, worn and dirty cut-offs and stained T-shirt is likely to be the owner.
LOL! So true! I was just in Austin this past weekend and I saw plenty of that around!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im certainly not saying that my logic applies 100% to all affluent women. but it does apply to many. also, im not saying that if someone doesnt have x then they are poor, but if they do have x its easier to start making determinations about the person.

im not really sure what you are trying to say about the cars. i live in an affluent town, there are many high end cars and many low end cars. what town are you talking about? my guess is a large % of them go home to the less expensive houses in the community or belong to children/family of owners or are just people driving through town. not all, but a large %.
The Bay Area is weird (especially in the wealthy inner-eastern parts). Expensive homes and inexpensive cars are common. The Berkeley Hills has lots of subarus and older volvos. I live next to Piedmont. Typical cars are pretty common, and then mid-range luxury after that. More expensive cars (over $60K)? Not common at all. Average household income is about $250K-300K.

There are other places in the Bay Area (Peninsula and South Bay) where you will see status cars. Just not in my part.

This is the same thing in terms of fashion -- but this applies to most of the entire region. You can't bother assuming someone's wealth with their clothing around here. Rich people dress down a lot. The best you can probably assume is "clique." Berkeley rich people? Hardly dress at all. There is a lot of North Face/REI/Lululemon/casual clothes.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
A few years back I had the pleasure of working with an upperclass woman. She fell on hard times and was a coworker of mine in a white collar work environment. Notice I said upperclass. Being rich is not the same as being upper class.

I asked about what sets the upperclass apart fashoinwise. She told me that it doesn't matter what sort of clothes you wear, but... for a man it does matter what sort of watch, belt and shoes you have on. In other words a $1000 suit doesn't work with a $500 watch and $200 shoes when you walk into a high end restaurant. Levis, dress shirt and $1500 cowboy boots, with a $5000 watch--you're good to go.

For a woman, its the accessories more than the clothes.
This sounds about right.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
One of my favorite things to do is going to thrift shops to find cute clothes. I also love shopping at low-priced stores like Ross, Target and JC Penney.

I told myself. But I know it is a lie. :P

I'd probably go a little higher end. For somethings. My style would be the same, but I'd mix in some more expensive pieces for sure. Hello Zac Posen! But I'd still be a Target, H&M and Nordstrom Rack too.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
Just curious because I do lots of driving for my job and come across different neighborhoods and envrionments. Whereas one side of town looks like they play golf all day long, the other looks like they've been constructing houses all day long.

Is it just me, or do people who earn more tend to dress differently than those who earn less?
There are plenty of poor 20-somethings (in low-paying service jobs) buying designer clothes/shoes (e.g. LV, Gucci, Louboutin) on credit and racking up debt (I know some). And there are also multimillionaire farmers/plumbing co. owners who wear Sears coveralls to work everyday (I know some).

That being said, the upper-incomers do tend to know a thing or two about dressing and image, especially if they are in a white collar industry (as opposed to the trades). Successful professionals are often creating an image to effectively sell themselves/their company. The clothes they choose should support (not hamper) this image. They consider clothes an investment and often will spend more money to get better cut, better designed, and higher-quality fabrics.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I live next to Piedmont.
sorry for being sneaky, the purpose of me asking the town was to check on the claim of no houses being under $1 million. i saw well over half the listings for real estate under 600k. its normal to think that a wealthy town is basically everyone wealthy, but ive noticed that even the wealthiest towns have plenty of less expensive houses in them. thats where most of those cheaper cars are parking at night.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 PM

836 posts, read 2,948,386 times
rich can spend more but that is not equal to be better dress, the style is part of the person, poor or rich, doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty