Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 07:11 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

I've used powder since I was in my late teens and I remember when the big perfume companies had their gift sets which included a bottle of cologne, powder and lotion. I saved the last powder decorative container from the perfume Chloe which I'm not sure if it's even sold anymore that's how long I've had it. I refill it using either the baby powder with corn starch or Gold Bond.

Living in a hot, humid climate I like how it makes you feel after a shower. I think the cancer scare might have contributed to the disuse of women using powder but from what I understand the women that developed ovarian cancer were using it in their underwear, genitals, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 06:51 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
Funny coincidence that this old post popped back up today. I was going to be outside for an extended amount of time over the weekend and wanted to powder my back since I would be sitting down. As I tried to "poof" baby powder on it and made a mess I started thinking about the powder puffs my mother used to have and wished for one.

I'll have to look next time I'm at Walmart. I'm also wondering if a dollar type store might have it.

As a side note: I would recommend Caldesene powder if one wants to use powder in the genital area. It's made for baby's diaper rash--corn starch and zinc oxide. I first learned about it when my adult daughter was an infant.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:04 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Plain old cornstarch works just fine and doesn't have that sick cloying smell that baby powder has.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:24 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,452 times
Marks & Spencer have body powder that comes with large puff and nice smell too.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:53 AM

3,067 posts, read 1,679,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
No Kudzo, i'm an old geezer and i know you asked the younger women do they not use a body powder any more...... I still do......

my mother used to buy everything in bulk it seems...... she's been dead for 13 years now and i still have her old body powder.... Casaque by Jean D'Albert and it is such a lovely light light fragrance i will be sad to run out of it....i STILL have one left and about 3 of the bath oils ......
I remember that scent! I owned another fragrance by Jean D'Albert, Ecusson. Loved it! Casaque smelled great, too.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:15 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Plain old cornstarch works just fine and doesn't have that sick cloying smell that baby powder has.
Cornstarch is my choice as well. I pour it into an old glass candy dish with a lid - it looks pretty and is just the right size for holding the powder and puff. If I want a scented powder, a few sprays of perfume on the cornstarch, mix it, then put the lid on and it's done. You can't get any easier or cheaper than that.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:12 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Well maybe it is because dermotologists don't want women using body powder anymore because it clogs the pores in your skin causing all sorts of problems LOL. I say bunk I still use body powder but I use the one with the Spanish dancer on it called Meija and the scent is spicy and I love it . But I also use other scents as well. I hope that helps and yes my grand and great grand used body powder my mother did not because she was so religious she said it was sinful to put scents on your body .

Old 05-19-2019, 04:39 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
For a great home made dusting powder, I mix equal parts corn starch and real sandalwood powder (available online) Smells great and sandalwood is great for your skin (smells wonderful, too!)

Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I can't believe this item which was a staple for every mother and grandmother for generations is so hard to find. DH looked at 2 targets and 2 walmarts and called several Ulta without success. The $1.99 on amazon (Diana) had terrible reviews. We will order from the Vermont Country Story- how could I have forgotten that wonderful source- tonight. Also going to get White Shoulders Dusting powder from them too.

So tell me younger women---Do people not use body powder anymore? It would seem so since it is so hard to find.

I could never see the point of powder. It just sits on your skin, if you sweat, it makes a cakey mess. Not to mention the whole talc problem. Haven't used it since I was a kid.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:46 PM

48 posts, read 25,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I can't find one on line and i can't find a big enough one in the old fashioned boxes of body powder. With hot weather already here both my husband and I slather on the baby powder and we need big puffs so it doesn't end up all over the floor.
Many thanks.
Put it on while standing in the tub then turn the shower on to rinse it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty