Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
I was thinking about getting dreads, so I did a lot of research. Sadly, my hair never wants to knot and it's soft and pin-straight. Which I guess is good since I can't do it, and thus have a more normal hairstyle, but it's obviously not good for dreading.
You can do blanket stitch braiding to put fake dreads in. You can put them in and take them out without chemicals. Do not use glue to help hold it in. Some people dot the top for extra staying powder, but glue tends to damage and you need a chemical to get it off.

BEAUTIFULLY CHAOTIC DESIGNS HOW TO INSTALL EXTENSION DREADS

Don't go for realistic. I personally don't think plastic hair will ever look real when it comes to dreads and euro hair won't dread as easily but it will dread. I would not buy fake euro hair to dread anyway because its just too expensive. You would have to rat the crap out of your hair and use salt water if its silky strait though. I don't think most people know how to dread right. They are too gentle about it, don't preclean it the right way and try to dread too much hair at once, too quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:20 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,826,078 times
I don't want dread extensions, lol. It'd feel like cheating. While I am totally white, my hair is more akin to typical Asian hair in texture. I'm happy enough keeping my short hair - I'm just gonna start dying it crazy colours.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
I was thinking about getting dreads, so I did a lot of research. Sadly, my hair never wants to knot and it's soft and pin-straight. Which I guess is good since I can't do it, and thus have a more normal hairstyle, but it's obviously not good for dreading.
emi, you could do interlock/latched lock. google "sisterlocks". it's a very, very intricate method of latching hair in a pattern to make it lock up and it can be done on straight hair (personally know of a black girl who had relaxed hair and a Filipino girl w/ super straight hair that both latched). sisterlocks can be VERY expensive and tiny (my sister paid her consultant $600 to install 500+ SLs in her head), but the method can be copied on the cheap at home. you can buy a specialized tool (nappy locs tool), use a latch hook found in craft stores, or just use you fingers for larger locs. there are some excellent youtude videos about latching hair

Old 07-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
emi, you could do interlock/latched lock. google "sisterlocks". it's a very, very intricate method of latching hair in a pattern to make it lock up and it can be done on straight hair (personally know of a black girl who had relaxed hair and a Filipino girl w/ super straight hair that both latched). sisterlocks can be VERY expensive and tiny (my sister paid her consultant $600 to install 500+ SLs in her head), but the method can be copied on the cheap at home. you can buy a specialized tool (nappy locs tool), use a latch hook found in craft stores, or just use you fingers for larger locs. there are some excellent youtude videos about latching hair
Thanks for the info. I'm not a fan of tiny dreads, but that'll probably be very useful for others that may stumble across this thread. :]

Old 07-02-2010, 05:07 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
It's very useful for me! I've been missing mine and considering re-doing them once my hair gets longer. The main reasons I cut them off are all related to the fact that they were too thick/big. They looked cool and I loved them for that, but they were heavy, made it hard to do anything with them other than just put them up in a ponytail (and at the time I had to for work anyway) and they took FOREVER to dry. I think having really really thin ones would help with those problems.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,424 times
Yes, there is a need for a dreadloc'ing salon. Some of us, don't want to sit in someone's house or what not, while this is done. I'm not loc'd myself, but know people who are. In a salon, I expect, cleanliness, professionalism, perhaps you can add "natural" hair services alongside the loc'ing services, for more profitability. I know I'd come get my hair twisted. Offer massages also. Sell Oyin, Afroveda, Curls, Kinky Curly, etc, products also. My 2 pennies worth.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Human View Post
I live in Virginia and have been a resident of the DC, MD, VA area my whole life. Dreadlocks nowadays are VERY popular in this area yet, the availability of shops that specialize with dreads are not, however. Me being a resident of Northern Virginia I often have to drive 2+ hours south to the hampton area to find a shop that handles dreadlocks properly. Most people in the DMV area go to friends, women who have dreadlocks around the neighborhood or simply just dont get them done anymore after a certain length. The addition of a dreadlock shop in Virginia would be a great investment to the state as long as the services are top of the line.
What is the name and location of the shop in hampton you go to? I live in Richmond and am looking to get dreadlocks within the next month or so. My hair is curly, but still white straight hair for the most part.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:45 PM

59 posts, read 469,554 times
Thumbs up Follow up

Hello All,

Its been a couple of years, and guess what?? My salon is open!! The Dreadlock Spot Salon is at 71 Afton Parkway, Portsmouth VA 23702 you can also add us as a friend on facebook under, The Dreadlock Spot.
Thank you wonderful sweethearts for all of your feedback back then! please Come by and check out the salon, Its a cross between a spa and an eclectic SoHo salon its so adorable. Nestled within a quiet residential and business area my clients automatically go to sleep when they get into the chair. LOL.After I posted, I did put the business plan together but I did not get the loan, I ended up getting a part time job and got my salon done one part at at time untill i could open it. Every inspection, every experience along the way was great!! We keep a positive vibe going everyday and are doing great things within our community. Please if you come by ask for Kisha and let me know your from City-Data, all are welcome locs or not. My clients are black, white, asian, seniors, babies, I love it. Thanks again for your time and info, you guys rock!!!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:16 AM

Congratulations!

Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Ugh. I live in a place where tons of people have dreads, and they all look gross, filthy, and unclean. I was by a guy the other day, and I could SMELL his nasty hair.

Maybe we need a place like that here, so if people choose to wear their hair this way, at least it is clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty