Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 06:18 PM

483 posts, read 691,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
Women try harder because they have more things they can do to improve. A woman who is well below average in looks can become "hot" by getting in shape, applying expensive makeup and wearing high heels. A guy who is well below average in looks cannot become above average, no matter how much he tries to compensate for his naturally ugly features.

Here is Mila Kunis with and without makeup:
If that's recent, it's also "Mila Kunis without makeup - as a pregnant woman", which is a little disingenuous to hold up as her "ugly phase".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 06:34 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I agree that mens bodies are viewed as not only undesirable, but dispensable. It seems that women are taught that their bodies are to be cherished, adored for what it is, and protected and taken care of. They, particularly in todays america, are told that any and all women are beautiful in any form, and should think of themselves as such...they are taught that their body parts are all aesthetically AND clinically valuable...and that anything that may not perfect is perfect because there is a clinical function to it, and not only an aesthetic one.

contrast this with men, who from VERY early ages learn (from both men AND women) that the bodies of the average male are a thing to be mangled in war, aesthetically repulsive , kicked and ridiculed in comedy under the guise of humoring the masses, and infinitely inadequate in function unless it meets each INDIVIDUAL womans subjective criteria for being capable and/or attractive. (Tall, muscular, well endowed, strong, or whatever else.)

U can count the difference in the number of people who laugh at even the INSINUATION of the rape of a female, or the violation of her genitals in any way vs. The uncontainable laughter most reflexively have at the sight of a stern crotch shot to a man, or a story about the male who has had his genitals severed, or the dismissal of the idea that a man has been raped, or hell even just the visual a normal, healthy, natural but naked man in society, standing as he has been created generally garners ridicule and double entendres.

From early on young boys learn to internalize this devaluation of their bodies and channel it into bodily self destruction, and servitude/deference to the female figure as being more intrinsically valuable than their own.

A man who publicly revealed his decision to have himself castrated because theres a likelihood that he might develop penile or testicular would get laughed off the airwaves, which is in total contrast to the way angelina jolie has been heralded and has inspired many women to take the same measures for their own health's sake...and he almost CERTAINLY wouldnt still be married, I dont think...lol
Yep, there's some truth in that. There's definitely a double standard there. Of course, men's rights are seldom really taken seriously, either, since it's accepted that women usually have it worse off.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:36 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
The OP and the few other men complaining that male body is not "appreciated" like female body have poor understanding nature in general, and Homo Sapiens in particular.
At a biological level, a man is little more than a sperm donor and an ATM machine.

The entire layer of romance and love + the social institutions (like marriage) built on top of that are societal inventions to ensure our species continues on.

Females are to attract males, and have offspring. Males are to "win" females, and then provide for them and their offspring. That, my friends, is basic biology. If you are unhappy with those roles, then perhaps start complaining how "unjust" the gravity is because you hurt yourself in the fall last Friday.

Many men don't understand that women view "attractiveness" of the opposite sex in a very different way.
An "average looking" man which, accidentally, is ~80% of the population, will be attractive in the eyes of "average woman" if he projects the image of a "provider" and a "protector".
Most women are highly attracted by intelligence for a reason. Today (as opposed to the Neolithic Age) intelligent men are far more likely to be good providers than unintelligent ones.
Energy, optimism, sense of humor and confidence without cockiness are other key criteria used by women. Good looks usually help, but they are secondary to outward manifestations of intelligence, attractive character and the ability to "bring home the bacon".

Male bodies (and above all, their brains) are tools to achieve goals.
You don't worship tools, but you take a good care of them so they will work well for a long time.
Then you could just call women walking incubators and nannies...how is that any different? Saying that just devalues and dehumanises people. We're not basic cellular animals whose sole purpose in life is to reproduce: it's a good thing these days people are more valued for what they can contribute as individuals, not just what their DNA says.

Male bodies have been 'worshipped' throughout history, as well. Look at all those statues.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:17 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I don't want to brag, but my soft underarm skin make women jealous, sometimes very jealous. According to doctors I visited its a weird genetic trait I was blessed (or cursed) with.
Ive yet to ever hear of any woman being jealous of a man's arm pits.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:53 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Then you could just call women walking incubators and nannies...how is that any different? Saying that just devalues and dehumanises people. We're not basic cellular animals whose sole purpose in life is to reproduce: it's a good thing these days people are more valued for what they can contribute as individuals, not just what their DNA says.

Male bodies have been 'worshipped' throughout history, as well. Look at all those statues.
Not only that, but the age old attempt at dismissing male bodily valuation as being designed for nothing more than brute utilitarianism is outdated and scarcely applicable today. Hell, I used to say the same thing up until about 2 years ago: that the male body was a "tool" and all this other biological malarkey...while thats obviously true, its also an oversimplification of the present reality; which is that EVERYBODY'S body is a tool...women can do whatever men can do, including protect themselves (using firearms), fight, kill you, or out think you...womens bodies are a tool for giving birth, for building things, nurturing or whatever else...

not only that, but if you were to posit that "men win women" garbage on this website, ur going get nothing but a gaggle of manhating 'enlightened' bra burners, and pet males posing as open minded equal rights advocates whining about how men need to STOP viewing women as prizes and how they should view each woman as an individual person who is not a prize or something to be earned...I know, backwards as hell right?...almost feels counter to male nature, it seems...but thats what happens here...I know, because it happened to me.

but what also happens here is people try to deflect the focus from the issues that some men say are beginning to be unique to men...particularly young men.. but in order to avoid having to even consider the possibility that those issues exist and are rooted in something OTHER than some f*cked up misfit males psychology (as in, perhaps there are societal problems that we could all benefit from addressing in order to better help young men avoid these pitfalls), we would rather yammer about how "its not my responsibility to blah blah" or "its not womens responsibility to blah blah blah"....either that, or we'll attempt to derail the conversation by shifting the focus from being on whichever trends some male posters feel are concerning, to the focus being some narrowminded referendum on the actual personal life of whichever male poster brings these perceived issues to the fore; and on how he just MUST be speaking about his own personal life, or else why would he care about other men right?..lol... Might I add, again this isnt just the female posters who engage in this juvenile deflective,dismissive behavior, its also other (generally older men) who have an emotional investment in squelching "the risen voices of younger discontent males."

this is a grade school deflecting tactic more than anything though...the ol ostrich head in the sand if you will, in order to avoid having to consider that maybe, just maybe people who arent women are also experiencing problems stemming from current societal structure. And the even crazier notion that women, as a part of society, also have an obligation to maintain the general welfare of the members of society, beyond their own agenda/gender biases.

At any rate, the comforting thing, I find, is that ive noticed that these people are nearly nonexistent in real life...at least in my experiences with people...the aforementioned types of dismissive people you encounter on here, are generally relegated to chasing any and every thread that contains the keyword 'males', and talking the thread to death until its closure, day in and day out...but, with the exception of a couple of frequent female posters on here (with whom I actually very rarely, if ever even agree with, but who seem to present much more objective and rational counter arguments to the concerns of some male posters), but aside from those 2, in real life hardly any normal women share the extremist, dismissive sentiments of the women in these threada...which should be reassuring for most...real life women and men are alot more balanced, and far less deflective in their evaluations of male/female relations today.

But is not uncommon, at least in larger progressive cities to run into young men who share their unsolicited and uncensored opinions of todays male/female relationships, and they voice surprisingly similar concerns as the men who post here do....but if you were to listen to the dissenters here, they would lead these younger men here to believe that their concerns were some misplaced fringe element of the American male. But the only difference between the men who complain on here and the men and women in real life who share similar concerns about todays american male is that the real life men and women seem to have actual lives and cant afford to waste days at a time composing whiny screeds like this one.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:48 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
I think a lot of it has to do on the emphasis on the male body's function rather than form, while the opposite is kinda true with women.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:32 AM

241 posts, read 360,055 times
Supply and demand. Women's bodies and sexuality are more in demand then males. I don't know why men in here are getting butt hurt that their bodies aren't objectified more, lol. Oh the horror, I am actually judged for my character instead of how nice my ass is, oh the horror!

Old 06-22-2014, 12:36 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
Supply and demand. Women's bodies and sexuality are more in demand then males. I don't know why men in here are getting butt hurt that their bodies aren't objectified more, lol. Oh the horror, I am actually judged for my character instead of how nice my ass is, oh the horror!
Not actually the case though.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:04 AM

241 posts, read 360,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Not actually the case though.
How so? Even if a men isn't good looking if he's good leader/athlete/ intellect then he'll be reverend for that. The reason women on average put more effort into their appearance then men is because society is much more likely to reward women for being attractive then being a good althelete/leader/intellect. Just look at women's sports, the only time people care is when a specific player is attractive or when skin is showing( beach volleyball). It has gotten better, but it's still very much like that. Marion Bartoli got a lot vile comments about her appearance, instead of people focusing on her achievements.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:19 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
I think overall men simply dont want to be labelled as "sperm donors" and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty