Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 AM

8 posts, read 48,495 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a newbie to tanning and I went to a stand up tan today. When I was in the stand up tan the door didn't close all the way, now is that normal for the door to be opened a little? Anyone that tans have any advice. Also I started at 10 minutes today when will I see results. Plus is it bad to tan again tomorrow or should I skip a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Tanning is just bad all the way around. It prematurely ages and wrinkles your skin. Same with smoking. You may not think much of it now but when you get into your late 30's you'll have skin that looks like a wrinkled up alligator.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:46 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
tanning is great you will be nice and brown all year long
I tanned for 11 years 3 times a week, was always tan, and being of Greek descent, i was even darker.

I now have skin cancer and have had 2 surgerys on my chest along with radiation.

so think about that for a while.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:57 PM

836 posts, read 2,948,606 times
^^ None of those responses seem to clear doubts to the OP...

Old 05-15-2013, 04:58 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxie View Post
Hi I'm a newbie to tanning and I went to a stand up tan today. When I was in the stand up tan the door didn't close all the way, now is that normal for the door to be opened a little? Anyone that tans have any advice. Also I started at 10 minutes today when will I see results. Plus is it bad to tan again tomorrow or should I skip a day.

Yes, that is normal. I think it may be a safety precaution so it is easy to exit if you begin to burn or overheat.

What is your skin tone/ type? Are you fair, medium, NC 20, etc.? Olive, etc.

I'm medium complected nc 25-30 and I can be noticeably more tan after three 10 minute sessions in my first week of tanning. To maintain that shade I will go back maybe once a week. Sometimes twice a week. I have actually "quit" tanning and haven't been for over a year now.

Are you using tanning lotion? What type? Tingles work the fastest but I find them uncomfortable. Its worth trying.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
tanning is great you will be nice and brown all year long
I tanned for 11 years 3 times a week, was always tan, and being of Greek descent, i was even darker.

I now have skin cancer and have had 2 surgerys on my chest along with radiation.

so think about that for a while.

Has anyone else in your family had skin cancer or cancer?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:24 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Has anyone else in your family had skin cancer or cancer?

no, no one.

we also used to lay out in the sun in the backyard with baby oil and iodine, with no sunscreen.
so what we do when we are young is cool, fun, you look great, but when you get to be a Dad like me, suddenly it isn't so cool after all.

But I am fine now.

PS: I do not allow my sons do to indoor tanning even though they are young mena and in their 20's, and they know better

Old 05-15-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
no, no one.

we also used to lay out in the sun in the backyard with baby oil and iodine, with no sunscreen.
so what we do when we are young is cool, fun, you look great, but when you get to be a Dad like me, suddenly it isn't so cool after all.

But I am fine now.

PS: I do not allow my sons do to indoor tanning even though they are young mena and in their 20's, and they know better

Wow, that's amazing. How old were you when you got diagnosed? I tanned for three years regularly. I'm South American so a little darker than pale people but still somewhat fair.

I don't want to get cancer which is why I stopped. I still like to sunbathe at the beach. I have a lot of family members who have had cancer, there is probably a 50% I will have it too one day (probably breast or skin). Half sister & aunt had breast cancer, father had lung cancer (smoker), and I assumed I may get skin cancer because of my three years of tanning salon visits.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxie View Post
Tanning in moderation is no more harmful than going outside. The UVA and UVB rays are exactly the same as those from the sun. In fact, indoor tanning is generally considered to be safer than outdoor tanning since you have control over the length of exposure time to reduce the chance of skin damage.

In order to produce Vitamin D, the body must be exposed to UVB rays. It is estimated that more than 90 percent of the adult population is deficient in Vitamin D. Clinical tests have proven that there may be a correlation between the development of certain types of cancer (most notably breast cancer) and lack of this vital nutrient. Other studies have shown a link between lack of Vitamin D and the incidence of multiple sclerosis).

Doctors have been known to recommend indoor tanning to patients who suffer from Psoriasis, seasonal depression, acne and other maladies. In addition, many doctors, nurses and other medical professionals tan on a regular basis because they do not have the opportunity to obtain Vitamin D naturally through the sun. Yes, you can use supplements to get Vitamin D, but it has not been determined that this method is better than obtaining it in the fashion that nature intended.

It might also interest you to know that populations that live closest to the Equator have the lowest incidence of skin cancer. Whereas, populations who are furthest from the Equator have the highest. Moreover, when the study was made, linking indoor tanning to an increase risk of skin cancer, the research was highly skewed. Not only did they take the names of the interviewees from the cancer registry, but they did not question the participants as to other risk factors such as outdoor exposure, previous sunburns, exposure to other cancer-causing chemicals, etc. Not only that, but the participants of the study were from Great Britain which has a predominance of low-melanin individuals who typically burn and do not tan well. Skin cancer is much more likely to occur in this sampling of individuals.

Finally, as for premature aging, you can counteract that easily by using a high quality lotion that contains silicone moisturizers and keep your skin well hydrated by drinking water regularly. Tanning in moderation will also help reduce the incidence of dehydration of your skin which could lead to the stereotypical "leather face" look.

Overall, in my opinion, tanning presents far more benefits than drawbacks, when done in moderation. Most people can tan on a daily basis if they do not have any indication of overexposure (pinkness). However, many people choose to tan every-other day instead, just to give their skin a rest between tans.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 PM

8 posts, read 48,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Yes, that is normal. I think it may be a safety precaution so it is easy to exit if you begin to burn or overheat.

What is your skin tone/ type? Are you fair, medium, NC 20, etc.? Olive, etc.

I'm medium complected nc 25-30 and I can be noticeably more tan after three 10 minute sessions in my first week of tanning. To maintain that shade I will go back maybe once a week. Sometimes twice a week. I have actually "quit" tanning and haven't been for over a year now.

Are you using tanning lotion? What type? Tingles work the fastest but I find them uncomfortable. Its worth trying.
I don't know what my skin tone/type is. I still have a slight tan from last summer so I'm not really pale, but I'm not dark either. I'm using australian gold sinfully black bronzer and I noticed I got a little tanned already, I'm gonna go again tomorrow and see if I get any darker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty