Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:57 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

I don't think this has been mentioned ... in addition to moisturizing the outside of your skin, you need to moisturize inside as well. Make sure you are VERY well hydrated. I can always tell if I'm getting enough water by how my skin feels. When you think you've drank enough water, drink some more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 08:05 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I don't think this has been mentioned ... in addition to moisturizing the outside of your skin, you need to moisturize inside as well. Make sure you are VERY well hydrated. I can always tell if I'm getting enough water by how my skin feels. When you think you've drank enough water, drink some more.
Sorry! That's a myth actually. Just drink enough to stay hydrated.

Skin Care Myths: Drinking More Water Will Hydrate Your Skin | The Derm Blog

Here's more from the Mayo Clinic.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...n/faq-20058067

OP- using a cream that contains hyaluronic acid has proven to keep skin more moisturized. You can also get cleansers that have it too.

Last edited by Meyerland; 09-22-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Sorry! That's a myth actually. Just drink enough to stay hydrated.
Thanks for the links, but my personal experience tells me differently. There is a noticeable difference.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:00 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Mr. CSD gets terribly dry, cracked hands in the winter and what helps him the most is putting plain Vaseline on his hands right after a shower, putting a pair of socks on his hands and going to bed.

I use baby oil after every shower but before I dry off and it helps but I also try to keep myself hydrated as well.
Not only for the benefit to my skin with my illness I can get dehydrated very quickly so I have to be mindful of that.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 AM

466 posts, read 581,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My favorite thing hands down, if you excuse the pun.... I take about a half hour to bake my hands. I cream them well, put on plastic bags and insert my hands into the hand spa heating pads and sit and relax for a half hour while the moisture bakes in.
Amazon.com: Thermal Spa Heated Mitts: Health & Personal Care
I've had mine for YEARS.... and it really helps when my arthritis kicks in.
Other than that, I love Curel Ultra Healing lotion.... and sometimes if my hands are in dry condition I use Roc Deep Correxion retinol face cream on my hands, and then the Curel -- it really works for me.
This sounds very relaxing and I think it is certainly worth trying.

Can I suggest something for your arthritis? This is a product that the Chinese have used for over 2,000 years.
My tea is made from artemesia annua, grown, harvested, shredded and frozen fresh by myself. I mix 12gms of my fresh/frozen artemesia annua with half a litre of hot water, it is far stronger than tea made with the dried artemesia annua - best made the night before and leave till morning. This quantity also allows my husband to have one glass after supper everyday. He used to suffer badly from rheumatics but since joining me in indulging in this daily he has not had to take any more Nurofen tablets and we both sleep much deeper.

AM: approx 160cc artemesia annua tea after breakfast
Lunch: approx 160cc artemesia annua tea after lunch
PM: before bed approx 160cc artemesia annua tea after evening meal

I warn you it tastes horrible but it does help a lot. See Artemisia annua - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or Google it.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:26 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I have found that creams don't help much - natural oils are the way to go - some have already mentioned - virgen coconut, almond or argan. I use a combination of them, and I also try not to overly wash my hands with harsh soaps. Despite being 65 and getting sun regularly (I live in Florida) my hands are fairly smooth and soft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty