Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,832,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
By the time the kids old enough to be able to have this done, it will be SO out of fashion it won't be funny. You can stop worrying about the children....

By the way -- no tattoos on me -- I hate them too. But I don't have the right to tell everyone else what to do with their bodies.
I can't imagine tattoos ever going out of fashion again. That seems too good to be true. Although when the young people in the future see how hideous the old folks look covered in old tattoos with their sagging skin they may think twice. Young women may want to avoid tattoos to maximize their beauty advantage over the older women.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
If they lived in a culture where nobody was tattooed it wouldn't enter their mind and they would have a negative opinion of the concept. You undervalue how much influence peers have even if it's on a subconcious level.
Really? Then how did tattooing get started if nobody had ever seen it before? Many different cultures have marked the skin without ever making contact with each other. Like I said, I was the first person in my group of friends to get a tattoo and since then maybe 3 others have made the leap. The vast majority of my friends do not have tattoos.

Quote:
I can't imagine tattoos ever going out of fashion again. That seems too good to be true. Although when the young people in the future see how hideous the old folks look covered in old tattoos with their sagging skin they may think twice. Young women may want to avoid tattoos to maximize their beauty advantage over the older women.
I've met and seen a ton of pictures of older folks with tattoos, and *gasp* I still got them!!

When I'm 70, the last thing on my mind will be 'wow, I'd be soooo hot if only I hadn't received these tattoos!'

As for the 'beauty' thing, I'm worth more than what I look like. You may treat others differently based on how attractive they are, but I don't.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:02 AM

119 posts, read 183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
it's a fad, I would guess it will become unpopular again as the fad fades

but will always be popular with the lower class, criminals, gangs, etc

I agree, it looks very silly seeing all those people covered in tattoos these days

and Ive seen some terrible tattoos, just looks like bruised up arms with old tats when the detail fades, I dont know why they think it looks good?

With the lower class? Are you really that ignorant?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,754,151 times
I don't know about the rest of the riffraff, but I'm hoping to shock the grandkids someday.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,667,890 times
Quote:
If they lived in a culture where nobody was tattooed it wouldn't enter their mind and they would have a negative opinion of the concept. You undervalue how much influence peers have even if it's on a subconcious level.
Again, this is no different from any subconscious peer influence that leads you to form YOUR opinions on the topic.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nah, not so much.

Case in point, ELCA Lutheran pastor Nadia Bolz-Weber. More ink than a lot of hardcore musicians.

Pastor turns heads by blending tradition and irreverence - The Denver Post
First of all, ELCA is a liberal Lutheran branch. They ordain homosexuals, for crying out loud.

Secondly, it's not always a good thing to be attracting people into church by being crazy-different like that. Many pastors do that themselves or with their churches and all that happens is that the Word of God gets diluted and convoluted.

I wouldn't listen to one word spoken by a pastor who was covered in tattoos. I once played for a pastor who had old tattoos from his Vietnam War era days in the military, and he had plenty of issues which ultimately doomed his ministry and his pastorship.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,667,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
First of all, ELCA is a liberal Lutheran branch. They ordain homosexuals, for crying out loud.
Yes, I'm aware of essentially all the finer points of the denomination. Your point? Hmmm, possibly that it's not possible to be both liberal and a person of faith? Your credibility has issues. Similarly, tattoos have no bearing on one's personal faith.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,840,967 times

[CENTER]This Thread Is Closed For Moderation[/CENTER]

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty