Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

What brand of eye shadow do you use?

I used to use Clinique, but got out of the habit of using makeup. Now I find Clinique a bit too expensive. I tried Estee lauder, a gift with purchase. I was so disappointed! It was like cheap, drugstore eye shadow. Its flaky, doesn't go on smooth, smears off, and the colors don't go on--whatever I used, it looked like a grayish powder. To make matters worse, the case was so hard to open it broke my fingernails! Seems they put all their money into the case, not the shadow!

I then headed off to Walmart, for the cheap stuff. I really had good luck with Almay. Its about $9 for a 3-color pack. It goes on smoothly, stays put, and is true to color. And the case doesn't break my fingernails!

I also ordered some Urban Decay, got a deal with my ULTA points. Its all neutral shades, but hey, I'm 58, I don't want to look like I borrowed my daughter's makeup! Just the name was off-putting, I think its called Naked, with shades like grave gray, dead brown, etc. Well, who cares about the name, I just wanted a soft shade, not a lot of bling.

So, what are some cheap drugstore brands you find work as well as the department store ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:37 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
NYX hands down. Its like fake MAC without the price.

All shadows in various brands are not created equal. Some colors just come out as a failure. If you see something you like check out reviews online before buying. That happens with high end and drugstore shadows.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:11 PM

Thanks, will try!

Old 12-22-2012, 03:11 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
I only like MAC for eyeshadow. I have some Clinique and Lancome that are decent.

I used to have some Revlon quads that were actually pretty good, decent pigmentation and not too glittery/shimmery. I would use those again.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:19 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,630 times
I have been wondering what brands are crease proof and dont fade. I have stopped wearing eyeshadow because of that.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:16 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,811,149 times
I second nyx its a great product along with elf.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 PM

Has anyone tried Naked? I bought some using my ULTA points, haven't received it yet. I'm just looking for something basic, not a lot of glitter, that stays on and doesn't smear all over. I've found regardless of what one uses, a primer really helps with the creases, smears, etc.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:47 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
MAC, love it!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:54 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
I have been wondering what brands are crease proof and dont fade. I have stopped wearing eyeshadow because of that.
MAC Eyepaints works awesome for a base. I have really oily skin and when I put this on my eyelids before putting on liner or shadow, the stuff stays put all day It wasn't even designed as a primer, but it works better than products made for that purpose, IMO.

I also love MAC eye shadows just because the pigments are so rich.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I've totally given up drugstore brands, except for lipstick. The last thing I bought was the "highly pigmented" HIP Loreal dark brown/gold duo -- and the lady at the drug store warned me how dark it was.

Well -- the gold was.... which I never intended to use. On my pink skin gold is a horrible color. The brown -- so dark dark dark in the pan -- went on a light cocoa. And didn't want to blend.

That was when I announced I was done.

But that meant I had to SHOP. Which I HATE. With my bad knees trudging all over cement floors -- painful.

So I ordered an Urban Decay liner pencil (really nice) and the matte Too Faced eye collection from Sephora.

I'm so happy with them, I can't say enough. Real color that lasts. Fading wasn't never the problem for me -- I'm blonde and pale and not even the darkest drug store stuff would even SHOW UP on me.

Supposedly there is an Ulta opening very near me... so I can indulge a little more... my last tube of mascara wasn't very good either -- after years of using Loreal Voluminous...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty