Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times

Advertisements

I only have a one strand necklace, and a two strand bracelet -- but I love me some pearls. Any and all colors and sizes.

When Barbara Bush made them popular again, I think people took another look at how they could be worn and what they could be worn with.

They're classy, classic, elegant -- and can make a statement with formal or casual wear.

What are your thoughts and stories about pearls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
I am still trying to make them work. I dress sort of edgy preppy and pearls can push things a little to far in the staid category for my style.

I do have 2 necklaces, a short strand of pink pearls that are oblong. And a long strang that can be doubled in grey with random shaped pearls. I have paired them ironically as part of a Halloween costume. Layered them with another necklace for a dress up affair. And worn then to work a few times.

I did go casual and wear them with jeans and a bright peplum tee as well.

I cannot wear pearl studs. Or bracelets.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 PM

664 posts, read 1,036,811 times
I have some of my grandma's pearl jewlery from the 20's here with me.

Real pearl is going up in price.

They can't machine it in the U.S. due to IOSHA laws.

The dust can kill you.

The price is going way up on any and all pearl.

I have some pearl handle knives as well.

The real stuff 'dances' in the light when you turn it.

You'll see rainbow colors and it will have this "dancing" "flashing" effect.

Fake or synthetic doesn't....once you know how to tell, you can spot fake a mile away.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
I love my pearls. I have a double strand from my Grand-Mother ( passed down from her Mother) and a Tahitian single beautiful large black pearl on a white gold very fine chain ( it can also be mounted on a Grosgrain Ribbon and looks beautiful that way too) my Dad bought me for my 16th Birthday and a pink pearl bracelet .

I wear my pearls a lot, to the theatre, good restaurants, opera etc.... It is my favourite necklace. I had a beautiful pearl ring also from my Grand-Mother ( one truly beautiful single pearl mounted on white gold) but it got stolen in one of the places I lived and I was gutted.

Pearls to me look good with casual smart "preppy" outfits or very smart dressing up evening clothes. I love the Lustre of a real pearl, its feeling against your skin, its iridescence. I just think they are beautiful. I also have a few items with tiny irregular freshwater pearls in pinkish to ivory hues.

I like the shape of pearls too. In my other favourite necklace is one made of Lapis-Lazuli "pearls" and this one I wear pretty much all the time even at home !

Old 06-07-2013, 05:21 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
I wear my short strand of pearls with jeans and shorts and crisp white blouses and short Polo dresses and longer strands with dressier outfits.

Pearls by the way have never gone out of style...and Barbara Bush may have worn them but so did Jackie O and Mamie Eisenhower and Nancy Reagan. The women of my family have always worn pearls and to us they have never been "out of style". Classics are always "in".

Old 06-07-2013, 05:26 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I wear my short strand of pearls with jeans and shorts and crisp white blouses and short Polo dresses and longer strands with dressier outfits.

Pearls by the way have never gone out of style...and Barbara Bush may have worn them but so did Jackie O and Mamie Eisenhower and Nancy Reagan. The women of my family have always worn pearls and to us they have never been "out of style". Classics are always "in".

Hear, Hear ! I concur 100%. A true classic as you say never dates IMO. A lot of people nowadays seem to see pearls as old fashioned and staid , to me you can wear them with jeans or an evening dress.

My Grand-Mother had an entire jewellery box of various pearl items but they all went to my Mother including the amazing triple super long strand of "flapper" pearls I had my beady eye on.... There is something timeless about pearls , to me they transcend the ages.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:01 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,226 times
My parents gifted me with a beautiful strand of pearls when I was 16. My Father gave me a lovely triple strand when I had my first Son; my Mother gave me a long strand (maybe 40 inches?) a few years ago when she decided that she no longer wanted to wear jewelry.

My Mother gave me some truly beautiful black pearls when I had my second Son.

My DH has given me different pairs of pearl earrings (I love my pearl drop earrings).

I think that they are so gorgeous and can be worn with almost anything.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:13 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Quote:
Of course that's true. I just mentioned Barbara because people made so much a a to-do about her wearing them. I got sick of hearing about her and her damned pearls. I was like, "I get it. I get it. She always wearing pearls. Enough already about the pearls."

((RANT:
Sort of how the media are now about Michele and her great looking style and her shapely, bare shoulders. I get already. She works out, has nice shoulders, and shows them off with her choice of gowns, etc. But enough already about it. To be honest I wish she'd wear a gown that DID NOT show her shoulders. I'm tired of her predictability. I get it Michele you have nice shoulders. Now cover them up, and wear something different, PLEASE!.))

Old 06-07-2013, 09:06 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Of course that's true. I just mentioned Barbara because people made so much a a to-do about her wearing them. I got sick of hearing about her and her damned pearls. I was like, "I get it. I get it. She always wearing pearls. Enough already about the pearls."

((RANT:
Sort of how the media are now about Michele and her great looking style and her shapely, bare shoulders. I get already. She works out, has nice shoulders, and shows them off with her choice of gowns, etc. But enough already about it. To be honest I wish she'd wear a gown that DID NOT show her shoulders. I'm tired of her predictability. I get it Michele you have nice shoulders. Now cover them up, and wear something different, PLEASE!.))
LOL - I do get what you are saying....media reporting gets really tiresome sometimes for sure.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:47 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
I like the posts on Michelle O's clothing. Sort of. I think she dresses really cute. But I really wish, that for women in power we can stop talking about the clothes, shoes, workouts etc and focus on the important stuff: there accomplishments, policies, goals, etc.

I am so tired of the mainstream media trying to make any story about women a fashion story. [Obviously in a fashion magazine this is OK. But a news story?]

Kathryn Ruemmler wears shoes: How journalists use Louboutins and Manolo Blahniks to minimize women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty