Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:46 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,736 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread. Yes on one hand women claim they do not want men to dictate what they wear but in reality MOST women dress to impress men, so why not just have a man telling you what to wear instead of figuring it out yourself, seeing his satisfaction and approval is that important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
I'd love to see all of these stats on how "most women" are only dressing/caring about their appearance to please men.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:12 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Every day there is a new thread up with "instructions" from men for women on what shoes to wear, what clothes to wear, hair styles, makeup, purses, body shape and proportions......

Are we, as adult women, incapable of making clothing and appearance decisions without male input? Is everything we do appearance wise supposed to be seen through a male appraisal lens?
I don't know how many men you know in real life, but...it sounds like you are living in some sort of alternate universe.

Men are the ones constantly queried by women with questions such as:
"How do I look in this?"-Sweetheart, you look great in everything!
"Does this dress make me look fat?"-No, it really shows off your curves, baby!
"Do you think these pants make my ass look too big?"-Absolutely no correct answer to this one.
Further, any married man will tell you that his wife holds it as an incontrovertible truth that even after 40-50-60+ years he has never learned to dress himself; doesn't matter those years he spent as a bachelor doing pretty well with the ladies, or that he dressed well enough to attract YOU. "Now take that thing off, and go put on your charcoal-grey pinstripe with the Jerry Garcia tie my Mother gave you last Christmas..."

The type of "man" you are describing sounds a lot like one of the narcissistic/self-obsessed individuals you must see frequently when you sit around watching way too much daytime TV. Guys with names like Quentin, Shannon, Lance, Sebastian, or Julian. Real men are not these fashion and style obsessed "metrosexuals", nor do they "instruct" women on how to dress. Those types of "men" do so because they either want to be women, or wish they could at least wear their clothes.

Real men, the ones who care about women as mates or prospective mates(not as friends to cry, ***** and giggle with even if you don't have a penis), the ones who are heterosexual and not fashion/style obsessed, could care less about what a woman wears. Most of the time we don't even notice unless the wife/girlfriend points it out to us. There has never been a straight man who upon seeing an attractive woman fantasizes, "Oooh, I wonder what she would look like in an ankle-length, strapless blue chiffon with Prada heels and a Coach bag!"

We get kind of freaked out when the significant other says, "So, what do you think?" That's because we have no idea whether you have a new haircut, bought some new shoes, finally fit into your old jeans, or you're feeling fat today. It's not that we're insensitive, or even unobservant, it's that we see YOU, not your clothes.

If you are so insecure that you feel that your self-worth can only be validated by a man's critique of your apparel then you're neurotic enough to schedule an appointment with Dr. Freud.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:22 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
I'm calling BS on this. Most of the truly weird stuff worn by women was designed by men.
Am I the only one who sees the irony in this?

Sure it may have been designed by a man.

Sure, it may be truly weird and grotesque.

But I, as a woman, will wear it anyway.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:47 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 552,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Only for those males who leave the "instructions" for women.
Those are the shallow ones who care more for looks than substance....and there's really no pleasing them anyways, as they'll always find something about a woman they don't like.
yeah, that's right. Men who care about a woman's appearance can never find any woman that they like.
That's a well known eternal truth indeed. Only those men who care about the "inner beauty" appreciate women.

It'd be funny if we all became non shallow and then when a woman asked us if we thought she looked great, we could answer "I don't care what you look like, you could look like anything and it'd make no difference at all to me!"

Old 01-28-2014, 05:04 PM

993 posts, read 1,561,533 times
I don't give two f*cks what the men here think because I know that they're not representative of most (healthy, well-adjusted) men in my age group.

In general, though, I do like to hear what guys think about this or that. It can be helpful sometimes to know which trends of ours they do and do not like. For instance, the hair situation in our bikini area. There have been a few polls around the web that would suggest the way that the majority of we women prefer to groom down there is different than what the majority of men like to see.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
It seems its mostly other women and magazines, TV shows.etc written by women telling them what to wear.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,615 times
The first thing that came to mind is What Not to Wear (U.S. TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems like women are being told by both men and women what and what not to wear. Men too, but less so.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:42 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'd love to see all of these stats on how "most women" are only dressing/caring about their appearance to please men.
Please, make a poll? For women what they are tinking when dressing up at normal life/ dates and what part a man would act of her dressing Or is there old polls still kicking?

Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,373 times
There is a proper way to propose man's own will, bags, shoes with high heels, clothes, must be given as gifts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty