Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of guys wearing jeans and flip-flops/sandals?
It's perfectly fine 40 57.14%
Guys should only wear flip-flops/sandals with shorts 11 15.71%
Guys shouldn't wear flip-flops/sandals at all 19 27.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:23 AM

72 posts, read 231,627 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people seem to be opposed to this clothing combination on guys, or at least think it's an "awkward" outfit? Although there are a minority of people against guys wearing flip-flops altogether, I've heard a lot of people say that they think guys should only wear flip-flops/sandals with shorts.

Some say it's looks "feminine", but the main argument I've heard against it is that its an "illogical" clothing combination, because its either too hot for the jeans or too cold for the flip-flops/sandals. I've always found that interesting, because that same argument can be made against the shorts and sneakers clothing combination, which seems to be a much more "socially acceptable" outfit for guys.

Anyways, I'm just curious what other people think about this. Guys, do you wear jeans and flip-flops/sandals ever? Girls, do you find jeans and flip-flops/sandals attractive on guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 04:36 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volxen View Post
Why do so many people seem to be opposed to this clothing combination on guys, or at least think it's an "awkward" outfit? Although there are a minority of people against guys wearing flip-flops altogether, I've heard a lot of people say that they think guys should only wear flip-flops/sandals with shorts.

Some say it's looks "feminine", but the main argument I've heard against it is that its an "illogical" clothing combination, because its either too hot for the jeans or too cold for the flip-flops/sandals. I've always found that interesting, because that same argument can be made against the shorts and sneakers clothing combination, which seems to be a much more "socially acceptable" outfit for guys.

Anyways, I'm just curious what other people think about this. Guys, do you wear jeans and flip-flops/sandals ever? Girls, do you find jeans and flip-flops/sandals attractive on guys?
I used to think that too. I'm not sure when I changed my mind, but needless to say I did. I wear sandals with jeans all the time now. I lived in California for a while and over the winter it was cool enough to not wear shorts sometimes, but warm enough to not need shoes. I can probably trace the change in my habits to these years.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:00 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
I only wear sandals with shorts but that's my personal choice. Other dudes can do whatever they like.

I don't wear flip flops at all. I find them very uncomfortable to walk in.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
I do it all the time.

Don't care if it looks feminine. Jeans, a T shirt, and sandals are my most common outfit in late summer. I have smooth feet, so thats a plus.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,021 times
Flip flops with jeans or shorts is cool. Sandals never worked for me. Having always been an athlete, that's all we ever wore before and after our games, and that's all we ever wore after PT training in the military. It's been that way ever since.

But that's just me.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:07 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volxen View Post

IMO, it's no different than a sweatshirt/hoodie and shorts; or God forbid those stupid shortie skirts with the furry ugg style boots!

I think it's fine.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:29 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I only wear sandals with shorts but that's my personal choice. Other dudes can do whatever they like.

I don't wear flip flops at all. I find them very uncomfortable to walk in.

same here.

I don't find flip flops comfortable in the least. I only wear them around a pool, as to not walk on hot concrete, and that isn't too often.

I have never worn sandals, and never will.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:41 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
This has to do with the metrosexual man of this era.

Men and women did better in the 1940s.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:13 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
When you get the right flip-flops, they're very comfortable.

My husband used to insist he had to wear jeans and boots everywhere. No matter what the weather was like, it was jeans and boots. When he was younger he said it was in case he got in a fight. When he got older, he said it was in case he had to change a tire. Over the years I slowly eased him into wearing shorts (and away from wearing denim shorts) and he got used to flip-flops. Now he'll wear them with jeans sometimes but never with khaki pants. Sometimes he makes a huge deal about whether it's the right weather or if we're going somewhere he doesn't like and feels the need for real shoes.

It's funny, I guess I am totally uninterested in men other than the one I am married to, because I can't remember the last time I looked at a man's shoes or even noticed if he was wearing flip-flops. I'm not even that interested in my husband's shoes, it's just that he complains sometimes and then I notice what's on his furry little feet. Or the dog chews his flip-flop and I have to go pay $50 for a new pair because it's the off-season and he will only wear flip-flops that look a certain way.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:16 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
In India, everyone wears flip flops. Men, women, and children. I got used to it as a primary part of my footwear.

I also have very sensitive and sweaty feet. Thankfully, they are smooth, so I like to reveal them as much as possible.

I like jeans & flip flops. I also like it when women wear Jeans & tank tops with high heeled boots.

I am a huge fan of the summer to fall transitional look.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-31-2014 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty