Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 03:06 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,039,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You don't actually know if that's not all the woman of the OP's comment is doing--you don't know that she does a "3-hour daily ritual," and I'd wager he doesn't either.
No, which is why I wasn't specifically addressing that one woman... it was a general comment, in response to what the thread asked. To be honest, I only skimmed the personal anecdote part of the OP.

Quote:
And as a man, I would not be so general as to say "men don't really care or notice." I'd more generally say a man would like a woman to look like women look who are made up without looking like they are made up. "Sport Illustrated" swimsuit models in the magazine spreads all look natural to most men--and none of them is. But that's how most men would like women to look.
When I say "men don't care," I mean they're not going to run in horror. A man might appreciate a nicely made-up woman, but most would be just as attracted to that same woman without a lot of makeup. I hardly ever wear makeup, and not once has a man said "I'd date you if you weren't bare-faced," or anything along those lines. And I've never had a problem getting dates!

Quote:
And most women don't look nearly that good bare-faced.
I don't think that is true at all, and again, feel sad for women who think they're ugly without makeup. Maybe you're all just programmed to think that way? I bet half of the women (if not more) who think they NEED it would look just fine without - and probably fewer people would even notice than they'd predict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 03:54 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,839,702 times
Growing up my mom was like this. She spent so much time on her appearance and even if she went to the grocery store she had to look a certain way in fear of running into someone she knew. Her major focus in life it seemed was her looks and there was underlying issues in my opinion why.
It is one thing to want to look presentable and another when you fear judgment of others or your looks take the place of more important things.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:58 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,390,393 times
I with no split second hesitation would prefer beautifully dressed, combed, make-upped and hairdo-ed insecure person over arrogant jerk in pajamas who think her unbelievably high value lets her visually and aesthetically assault surrounding people.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:56 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,870,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't think that is true at all, and again, feel sad for women who think they're ugly without makeup. Maybe you're all just programmed to think that way? I bet half of the women (if not more) who think they NEED it would look just fine without - and probably fewer people would even notice than they'd predict.
Most women bare-faced do not look as good as the Sports Illustrated swimsuit model in the magazine spreads. Yeah, that is true.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:42 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,621,979 times
Or, the OP could live next door to a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader, who have contracts that require them to never leave the house without being fully done up.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:04 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,936,778 times
To each their own. If your wife's friend likes her beauty routine and it pleases her, then why not? My Mom never left the house looking sloppy or unkempt. Even if dressed casually (which would be "dressed up" by today's standards), her hair, makeup, nails and such always looked very nice. For the most part, both my sister and I have followed suit. I would never in a million years go out in pajama pants, slippers or knarled up hair like you see so many women (esp. teens and young adults) doing these days. I am totally fine with them doing it--it's just that I would not.

When you step out into the world, I was taught to put your best self forward--which includes how you present your person.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,030,667 times
I really don't think much about them at all.

Oh, I may notice that someone like that looks a little 'done up' for a quick run to the grocery store, and wonder "what's up with that?" I do think that's 'a lot of work' just for a quick run for bread and milk. BUT maybe they're on their way to or from an event, or party or dinner, luncheon -- or whatever.

But other than that I've got other things to think about beside how other people dress -- whether they dress up or down, or wear formal attire -- or pajamas -- to the grocery store.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,077,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Truthfully, I find this type of person a tiny bit annoying, although I understand it better than the person who sets off to Wal-mart in hair rollers, bath robe and fuzzy slippers.
Yep, and that's after she's been to Target and many other stores.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 AM

17,567 posts, read 39,228,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I with no split second hesitation would prefer beautifully dressed, combed, make-upped and hairdo-ed insecure person over arrogant jerk in pajamas who think her unbelievably high value lets her visually and aesthetically assault surrounding people.
Beautiful ^^^ I'm a woman, and couldn't agree more. I already posted in this thread, but when I see a nicely dressed and made-up woman, I make a point to tell her how great she looks. I get sick of seeing slobs who wear sweats/yoga pants everywhere, uncombed hair and no makeup at all.

I also agree with the poster who said it is more common in European countries. I am of Spanish descent, and most of the Latina women I know like to look nice wherever they go. I only wear light makeup - just eye pencil and mascara, and tinted lip gloss, I don't need any on my skin. And I at least put my long hair into a pony tail or bun and wear neat clean clothes. Not "red-carpet" by any means, but I get my share of WOMEN, yes WOMEN telling me all the time how pretty I look. And by the way, I do this for myself because it makes me feel good!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,349,210 times
Who cares, I go out as I wish no matter what anyone else thinks because I seriously just don't care what anyone else thinks.
I haven't cared what anyone else thinks since I was about 10 in the real world it my appearance affects someone else's day it is their issue not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty