Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 AM

699 posts, read 1,015,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post

You asked if you should color? Go with your gut. If you really wanted to do it, you wouldn't need to ask .
True.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
OP, I envy you for having gray hair that you and your husband like, and that you were able to make the transition from coloring hair to having it your natural gray. I went gray very young (I started coloring my gray in my 20s) I am now in my 50s, and I have to get the roots retouched every two weeks. I hate that. But I dread the transition process of join gray.

I have long straight hair that falls a few inches below my shoulders. I like this length because it is so easy to pull back in a ponytail or do an undo. I think if I decide to go gray, I will need to get it cut extremely short (leave only an inch or two of hair) and maybe just wear a wig until the colored hair is all gone.

I'm pretty sure that if I take the plunge and let myself go gray, I will stay that way.

I had mine cut VERY short when I took the plunge....it was so liberating...and I'm so happy I did it, really.
Living in Italy is different from living stateside though. Women here are REALLY into youth and beauty.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I am a strawberry blonde and when the greys popped up in my early thirties I asked the salon about coloring.
They told me 'the only one who knows they are there is YOU'.

They were right. The greys are almost platinum blonde. All people see is gorgeous, thick waist length blonde hair.

OP, it depends on what color your hair is. Blonde and grey, brown and grey, or all grey?

You are very lucky...your hair sounds really beautiful.

Mine has no blonde or brown. It's shiny silver with charcoal in the back....its a gradual change down the back.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
My mother has been complaining because I stopped dying my hair. I have long hair and am no longer interested in trying to keep up appearances. I have other things I'd like to do in life.

Her complaint is that my grey hair makes her look old! She colors her hair and thinks every woman should. So much for aging gracefully with her around. I live 3 hours away and only see her 4-5 times a year. So I'm not sure what my hair color has to do with her life.
Lol

Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
Silver is a color that can't be duplicated. If I could upload pics, I'd show you my neighbor's hair, which is about 4' of (what looks like) silver water cascading down her back and hips. Every woman in the neighborhood is now letting their hair go natural (besides, grey softens the look of laugh lines and fine wrinkles, where dyes pronounce them.

I love this story, thank you.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
For some females gray hair means they are officially "old" and signifies the final loss of their youth, attractiveness and so forth. This of course is a load of flannel but long as the media continues to shun femmes d'un age certain, in favour of youth things won't change.
So true....great point.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
If you want to grow out and have bulky wavy hair like I do, a keratin treatment lasts six months. Fewer chemicals and less maintenance than color.
I don't know what this is but will definitely google it.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
My town is full of "old hippies" - artistic types who moved here in the 60s and 70s when abandoned old Victorian homes were selling for a song - and many of the women here have absolutely gorgeous gray, silver, and white hair, long and short. I'm almost 60 and only have about 5 strands of gray, and I *wish* my hair would go gray, but judging from the rest of my family, that probably won't happen.

interestingly, I complimented a stranger on her beautiful shoulder-length gray hair one day, and she told me she was visiting from Texas and everyone there who knew her told her she should color it. I couldn't imagine why she would want to go to all that hassle and expense when her hair was such a nice silver color. She said she didn't plan on doing it.

Boy can I relate.... I live in Italy, where the philosophy of life is "La bella figura" which means putting careful thought into the face you present to the world...with a constant eye toward aesthetic beauty. And everything and everyone is beautiful here......well almost.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 AM

Default thanks

I'm so glad I posted here....so many great stories and suggestions......lots to ponder.

I think I wrote this because when I used to go to the salon for color, cut, etc., I was always changing things up. And I would leave the shop with a spring in my step and feel a sense of newness that I haven't felt for a long time. Now that spring is here, I want that feeling again.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I love the pics of silver/gray hair. Here is a link to hair color close to mine, although my hair doesn't look this good, no way!

silver-hairstyles-1

After looking at so many stunning styles, I realize I need to get my stylist to step up a bit. I want one of those great cuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty