Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 04:30 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times

Advertisements

Cosmetics have little effect on attractiveness judgments compared with identity

Natural looks found to be much more important when it comes to how attractive a woman is* | Daily Mail Online

User comment that sums up my opinion:
This study was carried out on students, I.e. 18-21 year olds. Of course there's going to be little difference. They don't need help to create bright eyes and glowing skin, so things like foundation and mascara will make little difference. Try it on age groups 28-31, 38-41, 48-51 etc. and see whether the result is the same.

My guess is there's moderate leveling of some older, narrow playing fields, e.g., slim middle-class middle-aged women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:03 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Every man I know well has told me he prefers the natural look for women, meaning little makeup and a seemingly effortless, healthy appearance. This opinion includes both older and younger men.

Truth is there is nothing "natural" about the natural look after age 30! Skin care, exercise, healthy eating, sleep, posture, dental care, etc all take enormous effort to look effortless.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-08-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 02-08-2015, 10:13 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
OP mascara has nothing to do with brightening eyes. You'll fing manynof the most ardent makeup free people use mascara. 2 things low makeup women generally agree on: mascara and lipstick.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 AM

I'm not a woman, and I agree on lipstick. It does make a difference. Most women should keep using it, preferably not in blue-ish, evil-looking shades.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:58 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Every man I know well has told me he prefers the natural look for women, meaning little makeup and a seemingly effortless, healthy appearance. This opinion includes both older and younger men.

Truth is there is nothing "natural" about the natural look after age 30! Skin care, exercise, healthy eating, sleep, posture, dental care, etc all take enormous effort to look effortless.
Guys say that but if they were in a room full of natural women and a girl walked in who had fake boobs, extensions and heavy makeup, they'd make a beeline for her.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:12 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Women who already look great don't need makeup. Makeup can transform some plain or average women, depending. It can mean the difference between being invisible in a crowd and being a head-turner. For other women, depending on their features, it won't have much effect at all.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:23 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Guys say that but if they were in a room full of natural women and a girl walked in who had fake boobs, extensions and heavy makeup, they'd make a beeline for her.
What guys really mean is that they like women who put their makeup on well enough that the guys can't tell they have any on.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Yes for the first two, since they level the playing field. Unless done skillfully, heavy makeup does not enhance attractiveness. Likewise for makeup turning "some plain or average women" into beauties. I think many women are living in the past re makeup (e.g., when skin treatments were primitive), thinking wishfully, or not realizing that it's associated non-makeup methods (such as extensions) that are doing most of the leveling.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:58 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Make up is another term for make believe. Level the playing field? Treat your appearance and goals as a game and that is all it becomes, a game.

Try real life. The rewards are greater and genuine.

Sooner or later you have to take the clothes off, wash your face and be seen close up. If you can't get what you want , tricking someone into the position you want isn't going to do it either.

Watch carefully, see if you can detect the disappointment in the eyes of those who finally get to see the real you. Its there if you bother to look.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:06 PM

I think a main reason women think makeup helps much in the competition is that they almost always start before they are women. Most females don't have the ability to do much invasive stuff until they are adults; I guess even extensions aren't an option for many teens. Some schools (rightly, I think) won't allow skimpy clothes. Essentially they get stuck in a "I need makeup" mindset borne of possible desperation.
Latest Survey Results: Making Faces: A SmartGirl Makeup Survey Summary
"To feel better about myself 32.52%"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty