Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 02:14 PM

164 posts, read 195,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What brands are your top as far as class and wow factor goes? What brands make you think the person wearing them is loaded with money or certainly knows how to spend it?

This can apply to clothes, shoes, watches, sunglasses or any other fashion accessories - formal or informal. I'm thinking Gucci, Armani and Versace, but what do I know?

It seems like that everybody and their mother here as a Gucci or LV purse or wallet or a close knockoff that that it isn't worth the money to look get one to look like one of the crowd. If they're sporting one of these (genuine), then the wow factor definitely go up on my end:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 02:27 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
Nothing with a label. Bespoke tailored items.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Nothing with a label. Bespoke tailored items.
Best answer!

Old 06-14-2014, 05:32 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I don't really associate expensive with class, I associate it more with ego and taste.
I learned living out west that wealth and class often do not go hand in hand...many far from sophisticated people with money and high end belongings out there.
True... It's kind of like there are two types of luxury brands. There are the brands that are very "blingy" that nouveau-riches (or wannabes) will wear. Then there are the very subtle luxury brands that someone with better taste and probably more refinement would wear.

Some brands market to both groups of customers with different products: Louis Vuitton has less pricey monogram patterned handbags ("look at me, I'm carrying an LV bag"), but their really expensive bags don't flash the LV label.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:35 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Hermes, Chanel, LV, Gucci, Cartier, Christian Louboutin, Dior, Rolex, etc

Old 06-14-2014, 06:08 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
when it comes to clothes I don't worry about the price tag as much as it looks. As a guy, I've seen plenty of other guys that have layered and pieced together an outfit from the likes of Banana Republic and J. Crew and Bonobos that look better put together than someone who bought it all at Brooks Brothers or places more expensive than BB. Brands don't mean much to me in name only. If I tend to buy a brand it is because I happen to consistently like their design and quality for the price.

In other words, I don't care about expensive = classy. Well put-together is classy. There is certainly a threshhold that helps (it's harder to look good with the likes of Old Navy than J. Crew for example) but once you get to a certain point it's more about how someone wears it and styles it than how much it cost.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:17 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
I work in finance in Manhattan. If you're a man and want to cut a figure you wear a bespoke suit, a custom shirt, an Hermès tie and Prada shoes. Period. Some guys wear Gucci shoes, but they're usually over 50.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:27 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
I have found Ralph Lauren jeans in thrift stores for $5 and they were virtually new. Not the cheap stuff either.

Given that, the price tag means nothing.

Who are you trying to impress other than the impressionable?
If that is the point, what is the point?

Old 06-14-2014, 07:25 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,052 times
Faded Glory

Old 06-15-2014, 12:34 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I work in finance in Manhattan. If you're a man and want to cut a figure you wear a bespoke suit, a custom shirt, an Hermès tie and Prada shoes. Period. Some guys wear Gucci shoes, but they're usually over 50.
When I was visiting London some years ago, I was staring at the windows of bespoke suit tailors on Savile Row and dreaming about affording one of those suits some day.

Is there any place similar to that in Manhattan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty