Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 AM

571 posts, read 1,201,221 times

Advertisements

Does he/she voice "I like you best in dresses" or "I prefer your hair long" - things like that? Do you have preferences for your significant other and do you voice your preferences?

The follow-up question to that is: do you aim to please your significant other?

For example, I prefer my husband to wear his hair a little longer. Every once in a while, he'll get himself a buzz cut. It's a nice change sometimes, but other times I'll think, okay now I'll have to wait months for it to grow back to the length I like it best. (BTW, I try to emphasize how much I love his hair when it's longer. If he's cut it, I don't say anything.) Now, on the flip side, I have very long hair. My husband goes on and on about how much he loves it. Prior to marrying, I didn't stick to a particular style (I had it super short, blonde, highlighted, all shades of brown). My natural hair is dark brown and I've worn it natural for the past four years. I mentioned lately that it may be time for a change and get highlights and my husband's response was "No, no, please don't. I love your hair dark. Don't mess with it. You'll ruin it." A little annoying that he has a strong opinion about it. Not sure if I should dismiss his preference and go for a new look anyway.

It'd be interesting to hear how much other people take their SO's opinion into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 09:29 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Indeed he does.

He "prefers" me in fitted clothes (shirts, dresses, skirts, skinny jeans), showing cleavage, high heels, hair long, but there are times when I think he's even surprised how much he likes some of more conservative or casual outfits.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 AM

456 posts, read 1,170,397 times
Lol I've noticed that I tend to attract "ass men" who like slender figures, really long hair and green eyes. If I were to cut my hair or lose my butt or become fat, I wonder if they would leave, but I would never ever do that of course.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
Does he/she voice "I like you best in dresses" or "I prefer your hair long" - things like that? Do you have preferences for your significant other and do you voice your preferences?

The follow-up question to that is: do you aim to please your significant other?

For example, I prefer my husband to wear his hair a little longer. Every once in a while, he'll get himself a buzz cut. It's a nice change sometimes, but other times I'll think, okay now I'll have to wait months for it to grow back to the length I like it best. (BTW, I try to emphasize how much I love his hair when it's longer. If he's cut it, I don't say anything.) Now, on the flip side, I have very long hair. My husband goes on and on about how much he loves it. Prior to marrying, I didn't stick to a particular style (I had it super short, blonde, highlighted, all shades of brown). My natural hair is dark brown and I've worn it natural for the past four years. I mentioned lately that it may be time for a change and get highlights and my husband's response was "No, no, please don't. I love your hair dark. Don't mess with it. You'll ruin it." A little annoying that he has a strong opinion about it. Not sure if I should dismiss his preference and go for a new look anyway.

It'd be interesting to hear how much other people take their SO's opinion into account.
I don't wear dresses, But my GF likes how I look in a suit. I met her that way was the only one in the bar wearing one as i came from work.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 AM

456 posts, read 1,170,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I don't wear dresses, But my GF likes how I look in a suit. I met her that way was the only one in the bar wearing one as i came from work.
Suits and cologne are so underrated. A guy that's a 5 (completely average looking) instantly gets 2 points when wearing a suit and cologne. Drives women crazy!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
No, my husband tells me he likes the way I look no matter what way I wear my hair or clothes - smart man

Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 PM

571 posts, read 1,201,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbunny View Post
suits and cologne are so underrated. A guy that's a 5 (completely average looking) instantly gets 2 points when wearing a suit and cologne. Drives women crazy!
yes.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times
He wants me to bleach my hair pale blond, wear short skirts or tight jeans, cut-off jean shorts, tops showing cleavage, and no underwear (especially no bra). At age 60???? I love him but no way will I go along with this (except some outfits in private, of course)

Old 03-03-2013, 02:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
My ex basically hated the way I looked. He liked light blonde hair, I have dark red hair. He liked short very thin girls, I'm 6'1 and curvy. He liked girls who wore sports outfits (tennis outfits, adidas track pants etc.) and I wore jeans and tshirts. He liked big butts, I definitely lack in that department. He liked small-ish boobs, I'm large busted. I'm rather heavily tattooed and he thought tattoos were trashy.

Basically, if you could possibly describe his perfect woman, I'd be the opposite He didn't let on to all of this until a few years into our relationship when he confessed that he'd never found me attractive and was, in fact, embarrassed to be seen with me in public. He's with a girl now that matches what he really wants though, so that's good

Old 03-03-2013, 03:53 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times
I think of this topic in 2 categories:

1) Does your S.O. have a "type" and are you that type?

and

2) Does your S.O. have a specific preferred "look" (re: styling) regardless of overall type?

My ex (last boyfriend I had before dating and marrying my husband) had a type (petite & blonde) to the point I'd classify it as a fetish. At first I liked it that I fit his ideal so perfectly. Then it just became ridiculous how predictable and 'one-note' he was about appearance. Every actress he thought was cool all looked like clones of each other. Every ex girlfriend I ever saw a picture of looked identical to all the others. My husband and I have kept in touch with him over the years and true to form every single love interest he's ever had is short and blonde.

My husband is the opposite. He's dated all different body types, races, etc. And never anyone that resembles me. He's equal opportunity.

As far as what my husband expresses to me about my look - it most frequently has to do with requesting that I don't wear makeup or "dress up". I seriously wonder if this natural, casual look is truly his preference or if he just likes that it takes the least amount of time and therefor gets him out the door quicker when we're going somewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty