Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 07:29 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,729,702 times

Advertisements

Do u feel u can hold ur head just a little higher when u are wearing a Hermes button-down with a versace white-tee underneathe with the burberry wallet and all the expensive stuff.... Do u feel more confident and better when u wear it?
For those that wear designer clothes.... why do u wear it? What about these particular name-brand clothes actually make your life better? How is ur overall quality of life better?

I like wearing desiner clothes because it sets u apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 07:51 PM

164 posts, read 196,474 times
No. I have expensive clothes and non expensive clothes. Expensive clothes are only worth it if they are the right fit and project what you want to project. A ill fitting luxury brand name piece doesn't mean anything and the thing is, other people wouldn't know it for what it is either.

Look at Paris Hilton and the people from Rich Kids of Beverly Hills. Do they look apart from others to you? Not really. In instances where they did, it's grooming, style and fit. None of their clothes stood out as particularly refined or exclusive. In the Simple Life, Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie looked down right trashy.

Last edited by EggWaffle; 08-02-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 08:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,794,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Do u feel u can hold ur head just a little higher when u are wearing a Hermes button-down with a versace white-tee underneathe with the burberry wallet and all the expensive stuff.... Do u feel more confident and better when u wear it?
For those that wear designer clothes.... why do u wear it? What about these particular name-brand clothes actually make your life better? How is ur overall quality of life better?

I like my clothes to fit well. For my office type work clothes, designer clothes are just better made, and when you get them tailored, you can really see a difference in how you look. So yes, I "feel" better in designer/well tailored clothes, especially because I am somewhat short waisted.

As for items like t-shirts, that are not tailored, I couldn't careless what brand they are. In fact I usually wear "cheap" white t-shirts because I like to replace them frequently.

As for accessories, I like leather bags that last, but I am into more classic styles, and again, since these are not something that gets tailored, I don't go higher end than Coach boutique bags. I also don't wear the ones with logos all over them, and in fact avoid clothes with logos, even designer clothes with logos. So I would not wear anything burberry. As for burberry, I like their trench coats but they are overpriced for their quality even for a designer item, plus the over construction make them hard to tailor.

As for making "life better" I wouldn't go that far. When I am not wearing office type work clothes, I wear levi's and t-shirts. That does not make my life worse by any stretch. The main benefit of a designer clothes in a capsule wardrobe is the fact I that the quality means I don't have to shop hardly ever, being I stick to the classics, it makes it very easy to pick "outfits", also I enjoy not being part of the disposable lifestyle to some degree. Is that what you mean by making "life better"?

Old 08-02-2014, 08:23 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,253,966 times
Expensive clothes, whats that again ?

All of my clothes other than suit and tie are below $ 50.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:19 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,213,203 times
I never cared how expensive clothes were. If they looked good, I wear them. And I prefer to look good in clothes you don't need to go into debt buying.

That designer dress that cost $10,000. No thanks. I could probably find a cheaper version of it elsewhere. Is it the same? No. But it looks the same, and for a reasonable price. I am relatively thrifty with money. Sometimes I will buy impulsively. But it's not a regular thing-and I try to keep it from being such.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,337,582 times
Quote:

Everyone should wear clothing that brings them their particular joy for the look they are trying to achieve and it seems you have found your 'chi', congratulations!

I enjoy simple classic clothing, an appropriate fit whether they are for work or play, and no, for me they need not be expensive and/or designer labels. Rather, they need to 'fit' my individual body type, taste as well as my lifestyle...all of which I choose because I am confident in who I am before I get dressed.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:55 AM

877 posts, read 1,320,236 times
No

It's what I grew up wearing and part of my lifestyle. I don't go to boutiques or Barney's thinking "Ooooh, this will make me look so chic and rich."

If I like it, I like it. If it happens to have a designer label then I'll buy it.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:56 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,405,478 times
Quote:

I much prefer being set apart by using complete proper words not wearing overpriced, under quality brand name anything.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:22 AM

10,060 posts, read 18,155,956 times
Quote:

Maybe it sets you (that's how you spell the word, OP) apart if anyone actually notices.

Seriously, wearing "name-brand" clothes makes your life better? I know this is the fashion & beauty forum, but this may be a new low in terms of superficiality.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:48 AM

1,349 posts, read 666,447 times
No.

What gives me confidence is wearing what is right for me.

I do buy expensive clothes but not for confidence, for quality, and they do look better when it's a "classic" anyone should have and will last ten years because of quality, such as black pants, white shirt, cashmere sweater, one or two dresses and a good pair of black "escarpins" + leather flats.

I immediately take the "etiquette" off. Not only it itches, but who cares whose creator I'm wearing?

I then accessorize around it with cheaper stuff.

All these "expensive clothes" are still perfect and probably better than cheap fashion or squandering money on the last trend.

I like fashion, of course, just not in a total look.

Never would I buy some clothes that"s "branded", like D&C, high price for cheap stuff PLUS you make their advertizing, no thanks.

Elegance (in my mind) isn't about the price or the designer, it's about having style, possibly your own. (and that is fun, since it changes as you go in life)

And shoes. They don't need to be expensive but please, ladies, take care of them. Have you noticed how men take care of their shoes and women don't? or maybe it's here, or me

What truly gives confidence in my mind, is either wearing beautiful lingerie underneath or nothing at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty