Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:50 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,461,697 times

Advertisements

How do you keep lipstick on for more than a few minutes?

I've tried everything, no matter what I do, it just disappears in a matter of minutes. Doesn't matter what brand, they all disappear.

I've tried those lip primers, then apply 2-3 coats, blot in between, apply powder to set, no matter what, it just evaporates!

any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 02:06 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,963,227 times
I've been using lip "stain" for a few years now. You put the stain part on first, then after it dries, you put on the gloss part. You might have to refresh the gloss during the day, but the stain doesn't come off until you scrub (pretty vigorously) at night.

It's Maybelline SuperStay 24-Hour. But I've also used Revlon "Just Bitten."

Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,750,615 times
Yep, the long-wear lipstains. They tend to be drying, though, and if your lips are dry or in the early stages of getting chapped, the stain will settle into any of the little "cracks" or irregularities. You need something more moisturizing when that's the case.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:47 PM

184 posts, read 704,373 times
if you seriously can't keep any lipstick on for more than a few minutes, maybe you should just stop trying.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:11 PM

15,643 posts, read 26,338,483 times
I use L'Oreal's Infallible lipstick. I've had great luck with it, but I've discovered that you have to let it dry. It takes about 30 seconds or so to set.

Put it on and leave it sit. No licking, or making kissy faces to spread the lipstick or blotting --- just leave it alone to set.

It doesn't have that moisturizing creamy feel to it, like most lipsticks or balms have. It's also odorless and tasteless. And if you're a person that licks your lips a lot because they feel dry, and you like that creamy lipstick feel -- you're not going to like this lipstick. It feels like my normal lips. Sometimes I'll use Burt's Bees balm very lightly, and THEN use the lipstick.... it doesn't have quite the holding power then, but your lips do feel more moist.

As for lasting -- it holds up pretty good under normal use, but eating? Forget it -- you'll have to reapply.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,963,227 times
That's why I like the stains. You can eat, drink, lick your lips, make out, brush your teeth, kiss the dog (not necessarily all in that order) and the color is still there.

I tend to have dry skin and my lips chap easily, but I just put balm on top of the stain. The ones I mentioned come with an attached gloss/balm, but I use that up pretty quickly and just use my good quality balm on top of the stain, and I'm fine.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,305,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I've tried everything, no matter what I do, it just disappears in a matter of minutes. Doesn't matter what brand, they all disappear.
You must be constantly licking your lips or something... No lipstick ever disappears in a matter of minutes. Not even gloss.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 AM

410 posts, read 744,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
How do you keep lipstick on for more than a few minutes?

I've tried those lip primers, then apply 2-3 coats, blot in between, apply powder to set, no matter what, it just evaporates!

any suggestions?
I would make sure the lipstick is of a thicker consistency. The more sticky it is, the longer it will last; the same for lip gloss as well.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,399,567 times
I recommend Revlon Colorstay lip shades. I usually apply at 6:30 in the morning and let it dry for a few minutes. Then I use the clear gloss it comes with or use a light gloss of another brand over the top of it for moisture. I do not reapply until after lunchtime, although I may refresh the gloss after my morning coffee. The Colorstay stays on so in the afternoon, I just refresh the gloss not the lip color. The lip color stays until I wash my face before bed at night.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:12 AM

27,406 posts, read 27,454,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I've been using lip "stain" for a few years now. You put the stain part on first, then after it dries, you put on the gloss part. You might have to refresh the gloss during the day, but the stain doesn't come off until you scrub (pretty vigorously) at night.

It's Maybelline SuperStay 24-Hour. But I've also used Revlon "Just Bitten."
Good advice, heck I benefitted from that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty