Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No, not too many of those around here. I did go to a couple of bridal shops after I got out of the mall though. I'm going out again tomorrow to hit some boutiques and if I can locate some vintage places not too far from me, I'll certainly check it out. Thanks!
I was just thinking also, maybe you can find a beautiful beaded (or lace) shrug to go over a strapless or spaghetti strap dress? I mean I *like* strapless dresses, but it seems like designers have lost all imagination and decided that's ALL they're going to make! It sure would be nice to see more variety..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I share your frustration HOWEVER you have no idea how much worse off you could be. At least you're a size 4. I'm a bundle of oddball sizes and I can hardly find anything that fits me, except online.

Why can't women's stores offer alterations like men's stores do?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:44 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Well, here's my gripe for the day ...

I went out shopping today to see if I could find a new frock for New Year's Eve. Why does EVERYTHING have to be either strapless or with small spaghetti straps? What I am looking for is pretty simple, really - it's just that nobody seems to have it!!! I want something more covered up on top - can have mesh and sparkly bead work. Low back, form fitting through the bust and torso and flared, chiffon skirt. Don't need a train either! I don't want to look like everybody else on NYE. I'll brave it again tomorrow, but I think I may just end up wearing one of my competitive smooth or standard gowns for NYE. I will be going to a ballroom dance, so I guess I can wear a gown, but I sorta, kinda wanted to wear a "civilian" frock!
try a yaya frock! simple yet elegant. (they have them in YAllow!)

Old 12-28-2007, 06:44 AM

98 posts, read 374,048 times
Another thought... people who hate shopping usually don't have much motivation to shop. Maybe if they shopped around some more they'd find a place they'd like?

I weigh the same as I did in 8th grade. Also used to have a 9.5-10 inch difference between my waist and hips but haven't had the tough time you guys describe. My tough time was when I was about 15+lbs heavier and hated pants who clinged to my thighs and exposed the roundness instead of just creating a straight line all the way down. Yeah, that made shopping hard. Or maybe I'm just picky. I can't see how 15lbs would be so horrible on another person.

So glad someone else noticed about the long sleeves. They're ridiculous, really. I got a white sweater for Christmas with said long sleeves. Needless to say, it feels awkward.

Twinkle Toes... Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom & Bloomingdales didn't have anything? I always manage to find dresses there.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:16 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Most clothing today is made overseas in the sweatshops. The workers in the factory do not have the skills to do anything other than make the cut and dried pattern of the manufacturer. They are mostly very poor quality, poor material, poorly made, even in the "nicer" stores now. Is very disheartening.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:54 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
I know, isn't that crazy! I am slender, but have an hourglass shape- 9.5 inch difference between waist and hips, and it's like they assume that if you have a slender waist, then you also have no hips to speak of. I'll pick up a pair of pants that look about the right size for my waist and then get in the dressing room and find that I can't pull them past my hips! I used to really enjoy clothes shopping, and I still like fashion, but it seems women of every size and shape are having a downright impossible time finding clothes that fit these days. One of these days we're all going to rebel and hunt down these designers with pitchforks and a tape measure
I'm with you on the waist/hip thing! Ugh! That and super long pants are my main complaint since I pretend to be 5'3".
I read somewhere that one of the major designers uses herself to determine sizing, so even when she gains weight, she insists on remaining a size 2 and it's reflected in her designs.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paper doll View Post
Another thought... people who hate shopping usually don't have much motivation to shop. Maybe if they shopped around some more they'd find a place they'd like?

I weigh the same as I did in 8th grade. Also used to have a 9.5-10 inch difference between my waist and hips but haven't had the tough time you guys describe. My tough time was when I was about 15+lbs heavier and hated pants who clinged to my thighs and exposed the roundness instead of just creating a straight line all the way down. Yeah, that made shopping hard. Or maybe I'm just picky. I can't see how 15lbs would be so horrible on another person.

So glad someone else noticed about the long sleeves. They're ridiculous, really. I got a white sweater for Christmas with said long sleeves. Needless to say, it feels awkward.

Twinkle Toes... Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom & Bloomingdales didn't have anything? I always manage to find dresses there.
Yes, I looked at those three places. Physically went to Nordies twice and looked at their website, looked at the other two websites as well as a trip to Saks Fifth Ave., and their website as well. Everything this year is all the same - very open front with cleavage or strapless or small straps. Nothing for me this year!

I just got back from the Fe Zandi boutique. Everything is one of a kind and the prices reflected that as well. The sales lady was very nice and helpful. She never asked me about what I could or could not afford, which was very nice because I was dressed in sweats and no makeup. Anyway, Fe's gowns were priced in the $10,000 range. It was the same experience as wandering around a Ferrari lot!!! Very nice haute couture clothing, but definitely for billionaires. So, I am going to probably wear one of my ballroom competition gowns. After all, I will be at a ballroom dance. Why fight it anymore!!!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:00 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Yeah....same dilemma here too.
5'4, with curves.
I noticed, that I can wear size 2...all the way to a size 7, depending on style, how I want to wear it, and who the manufacturer is.
I have been ordering my clothes from Victoria Secret, and always a solid and accurate size there (Size 5).
Clothes shopping is definitely frustrating for me anymore.....still try sometimes, ending up frustrated and pee'd off....just to go back, ordering my clothes from Victoria's catalogue again. LOL.
Sorry, I like the "routine" and "sure bet" thing.....LOL.
Does that mean I am boring????

Twinkle....I usually check out department stores as well....Macy's, JC Penney, sears...etc.
If no luck there (which, most of the time I am not successful there either ), I end up checking the yellow pages, going to a second hand store, consignment shop.
If nothing is found there either....you have 2 choices left....resort to something you already have, "spice" it up a bit/ change it (different belt, pin, add rhine stones, dye it yourself a different color)....or, borrow a friends dress (if you have someone pretty much the same size, taste etc.)
Hope you will find something......

Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
Oh I hate shopping for pants too. I am in between sizes right now between a 6 and a 8. My problem is when i go up to size 8 they assume that just because your waist is an 8 your legs must be a 8 too. Mine aren't. I carry all my weight in my belly, hip and butt area but my legs aren't fat. So when I find a size that fits my waist the pant legs look like tree trunks. I too don't get why all pants are made for people so tall. I am 5'3 and could technically shop in the petite department. My problem is that the petite sizes sometimes don't fit right in the waist either. Off the rack clothes assume you are 5'10 and petite clothes assume that you are short and skinny. Not always true either. Ugh.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Spain seeks clothes that fit real women | ajc.com (broken link)

I wonder how many american women would be happy with this?

you buy a size 12 today, and you go to the store tomorrow and they say your a 42?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty