Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:49 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
IAnyway, Americans have this bizarre "will anybody think of the children" obsession.
That has always impressed me as the most surreal thing about the anti-breast agitators. What do they think breasts are for? They are for children. It's how children are fed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:25 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That has always impressed me as the most surreal thing about the anti-breast agitators. What do they think breasts are for? They are for children. It's how children are fed.
Well stated. I would count myself squarely in the pro-breast camp.

Unfortunately here in Washington state, the 'anti breast agitators,' as you term them, run the show. As I said in post number 1, I once had a job where I had to take training from the state liquor board. They had very specific rules as to how much cleavage was too much. You had to strictly enforce their rules, because they had roving agents that could shut down your establishment if you didn't. I guess you could call it a 'war on cleavage.' This was over 20 years ago, but I doubt that things have changed here in the Peoples Republic of WA.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:50 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
I see absolutely nothing wrong with the way the young woman was dressed for a day at Disneyland. After paying $16.00 to park a car, close to $100.00 a head to get in, and then pay exorbitant prices to eat lousy food, she should be able to wear nothing but her birthday suit, if she so desires.

One reason why I haven't patronized "the most happiest place on earth" in 22 years.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:18 PM

99 posts, read 190,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
For obvious sanitary reasons, most restaurants will not seat a person wearing a thong.
"Obvious sanitary reasons?" Women wearing short skirts and dresses -- and purportedly thongs underneath -- are probably sitting their bare bottoms on restaurant seats all the time, so citing a "sanitary reason" would be rather illogical. (Many of them are not likely going to take the effort to sit on their outer garments, even if they easily could.)

Old 11-17-2014, 04:15 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwumavs View Post
"Obvious sanitary reasons?" Women wearing short skirts and dresses -- and purportedly thongs underneath -- are probably sitting their bare bottoms on restaurant seats all the time, so citing a "sanitary reason" would be rather illogical. (Many of them are not likely going to take the effort to sit on their outer garments, even if they easily could.)
I'm not a woman, but I'm quite sure most women are going to take the effort to sit on their outer garments.

Anyway, unless the OP meant wearing a thong underneath the spandex, wearing only a thong with nothing on has never been acceptable in any gym.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
This woman was barely showing any cleavage at all. The fact the she is heavy and has big natural boobs is probably what drew ire from Disney's spotters. A fit athletic woman with a smaller chest gets a free pass most of the time to show more chest then the woman in the OP.

There was a similar incident with some woman who had just lost a bunch of weight getting asked to cover up at a water park - there was a thread on it here. Although she was no longer very heavy like she claimed before losing the weight, she was still on the thick/healthy/buxom side and had big natural boobs - so they staff asked her to cover up.

It isn't about cleavage vs thongs. It is about typical fat shaming, and the idea that only young tight bodies get to be shown off - and they better be as close to the trophy wife Hollywood ideal as possible or some people are going to get their feathers ruffles.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:53 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
Everything i see looks super slutty to me. Its like women are desperate. A piece of clothe and some dental floss. is about what it looks like. You really want your daughter looking like this.
Yes, as a matter of fact, both my stepdaughters as well as I wear Brazilian bottoms. So do the hundreds of thousands of women on South Florida's beaches every year. Shocking, many are Brazilians! Yes, they are moms, daughters, granddaughters etc.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:36 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
It seems to me that this thing the OP is worried about is based only on limited examples. Disneyland is not the world.
There have been numerous similar cases where the right to cleavage has been under attack.

Cleavage banned, gams and condoms OK: Southwest Airlines' arbitrary... - CultureMap Houston

Google to pay fine for showing woman's cleavage on Street View - CNET

Biglaw Memo From Top Firm Advises That Women ‘Don’t Giggle,’ Don’t ‘Show Cleavage’ | Above the Law

Old 03-02-2020, 10:13 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
I would say the opposite is true. Cleavage is everywhere and accepted. Thongs worn in public? Very rare in U.S., unless you're someplace like South Beach, which isn't very American or typical.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:42 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You can go to the beach or even the gym and see that thongs have become widely accepted.

Sexy Girls In Thongs on Pinterest | 264 Pins

Some of these thongs leave NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING to the imagination. The difference between this and full on nudity is basically negligible. I'm not saying that it's good or bad, but just that it is.

But why is it that the same thing when it comes to excessive cleavage becomes a major taboo? What if a female decided that she preferred to go to the gym or beach in just pasties? That would basically be the equivalent of the thong bikini bottoms, no? There would be a major outcry.

Disneyland worker ordered mom to cover up her cleavage | Daily Mail Online

Years ago I had a part time job where I had to take training from the Washington state Liquor Control board. We were told that state law had very specific requirements regarding how much breast could be exposed. They went into some detail about what was 'too much' under the law. But there was nothing in the training about the exposure of the derriere.

Why this apparent inconsistency? It seems to make no sense.
Come on, OP; you can read the article, can't you? Disney strives to maintain a "family-friendly" environment. It's standards, therefore, are stricter than the norm outside of Disney parks. Have you ever heard of women being asked to leave a restaurant, for the small amount of cleavage the Disney-mom was showing? No, you haven't. Did the article say, that parading around the park in a thong was allowed? No, it didn't, because--it isn't.

I don't know why you're making a huge generalization to what is and isn't acceptable by the population at large, on beaches or off, from an article about an incident at a Disney park. Could you explain your rationale? Your liquor control board trining didn't mention how much of your rear was or wasn't allowed to be exposed, because office workers and store clerks don't usually go to work in thongs or bootie shorts. The issue just doesn't come up, but apparently there has been cause for the board to issue guidelines about women's tops. What does surprise me, when I think about it, is that there was no guideline on skirt length.

And btw, when our local Whole Foods hired a male cashier who made a habit of rigging his pants, so that they were always half falling off, showing his underwear, he found out there was a sort of dress code for men. Sometimes rules don't get made until someone does something outrageous, that demonstrates the need for a new rule. If someone were to show up for work at a state liquor store in bootie shorts, a new rule would probably be created, eventually.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-05-2020 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty