Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 08:34 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
You do realistic I'm a person of color right?
Nothing about this Barbie post is realistic... and why play a race card now?

Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 PM

459 posts, read 769,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nothing about this Barbie post is realistic... and why play a race card now?
Not about race it's about culture. A small waist isn't really celebrated when I grew up more curves are. It's not that Barbie is ideal. Her measurements just aren't that far from the average skinny women's that it's abnormal. That's all I'm saying not that anyone should try to achieve that small of a waist or anything.

Last edited by justawkward11; 01-05-2015 at 08:56 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 09:17 PM

161 posts, read 219,462 times
This thread has been loads of hilarious fun!

I am amazed by the sheer doggedness on both sides: 99.9% of posters trying to reason with the OP who is determined to tie herself into knots defending her position! And after all these pages, posters are still trying to present logical arguments to someone who lacks the grasp of terms such as "typical" "most" "average" "popular" "many" "uncommon." The list goes on and on!

OP, good luck to you in whatever it is you're hoping to achieve with this thread (and in life.) Some advice: take some more math classes--preferably stats. You won't regret it.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:42 PM

459 posts, read 769,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimama1 View Post
This thread has been loads of hilarious fun!

I am amazed by the sheer doggedness on both sides: 99.9% of posters trying to reason with the OP who is determined to tie herself into knots defending her position! And after all these pages, posters are still trying to present logical arguments to someone who lacks the grasp of terms such as "typical" "most" "average" "popular" "many" "uncommon." The list goes on and on!

OP, good luck to you in whatever it is you're hoping to achieve with this thread (and in life.) Some advice: take some more math classes--preferably stats. You won't regret it.
I'm sorry it's a hard concept for you to understand but all I've said was her waist could be achieved by a corset in most skinny women. If this makes no logic maybe you should look up how corsets work so you have a better understanding. .

I'm also not saying this is anything ideal to Me it's pretty creepy.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:13 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,891,800 times
I agree on the premise that Barbie's figure wouldn't have seemed as strange decades ago, when at the same weight women had narrower waists than they do now (source probably produced on request). Also, I'll add Indian women (at least the upper caste, who really are more Middle Eastern) as a group with a natural tendency toward that body shape. I don't know that "most skinny women" could train their waists down to tiny. Organs can only be compressed so much. There is, to point out the elephant in the room, upset in the thread and in Barbie-critical news stories at the implicit (and, to me, valid) point that women (or at least young women) are supposed to have narrow waists.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:13 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,902,884 times
Barbie is a plastic doll, has no job, lives in a freaky "dream house", drives a pink Corvette or Jeep, has an outrageous wardrobe which would cost thousands of dollars, and has an asexual boyfriend named Ken.

It's funny how people are up in arms about her imaginary body measurements.

How many men look like GI JOE or Stretch Armstrong?

Last edited by armory; 01-05-2015 at 11:21 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 11:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,277,006 times
Quote:
At my heaviest I had a cup size smaller than her example no back pain...
This poor woman had to wrap herself and couldn't find bras that fit. She had the surgery paid for as a needed medical procedure.

It is possible to be over sized to the point its painful. She wasn't overweight either. She loved after that she could get into clothes without having to refit everything.

I think Barbie would be asking for pain pills given the way her back in narrow and the rest of her slim.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I agree on the premise that Barbie's figure wouldn't have seemed as strange decades ago, when at the same weight women had narrower waists than they do now (source probably produced on request). Also, I'll add Indian women (at least the upper caste, who really are more Middle Eastern) as a group with a natural tendency toward that body shape. I don't know that "most skinny women" could train their waists down to tiny. Organs can only be compressed so much. There is, to point out the elephant in the room, upset in the thread and in Barbie-critical news stories at the implicit (and, to me, valid) point that women (or at least young women) are supposed to have narrow waists.
I think something is wrong with our food honestly. My mom was "skinny" and her and most of her sisters had sub 20 inch waists pre-kids. She didn't have super slim hips either. My mom had a really teeny waist into her late 20s when she had me and was mostly slim waisted till post-menopause / thyroid issues. This wasn't out of the ordinary 2 generations ago. But even our slimmest celebs have larger waists than their peers in the 40s/50s/60s. And these were not corseted measurements. Our waists are not the same in modern times. Maybe it is the chemicals or hormones.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:19 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
That means absolutely nothing what people say on this forum. Most body shape calculators go by the bust.

Actually you can look on most body shape calculators than it's focused on the bust size even when the shoulders are taken into account the bust is also proportional large even in that case.

But most body shape calcs talk about the bust.

Sorry but it's true.
The websites I checked, and others that have been referenced on this forum, say otherwise.

But, whatever.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
This poor woman had to wrap herself and couldn't find bras that fit. She had the surgery paid for as a needed medical procedure.

It is possible to be over sized to the point its painful. She wasn't overweight either. She loved after that she could get into clothes without having to refit everything.

I think Barbie would be asking for pain pills given the way her back in narrow and the rest of her slim.
There is a lot of variation on bust size and pain. For example my sister and i are very similar bra-sized. She has about 1 cup more than i do at a similar size. Yet she has back pain, even if she is smaller. I never have (bust related) back pain, and i have been larger than her. Technically my back is narrowr than hers and that usually corresponds with back pain, but that does not match up for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty