Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:41 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

I am 61, about 5% silver, and dye my hair only because my husband wants me to keep doing it and because with so little "gray", it just looks frumpy, imo, if I don't.

However, I cannot wait until I am 70, at which point I will stop bothering with it, regardless of how it looks or anyone's opinion!

If people are genetically blessed so that they keep their natural color even into extreme old age, great, but, seriously, people over 70 who color their hair do NOT look just middle-aged. They are fooling no one -- except maybe themselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Yeah, just think of all the chemicals you are exposing yourself to, and of all the water and time wasted...

I will never dye my hair. Luckily I am just a man, so by the time my hair would be all silver or white, it will be gone anyway

Old 03-06-2015, 11:13 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I was reading an article about a retired local personality who said that he still dyes his hair, eyebrows and beard and will continue to do so. It doesn't seem to bother him one bit, and apparently he's not trying to hide the fact.

Many people that dye their hair, young or old, however don't like to admit that they do, try to hide it, and avoid talking about it. They treat it as something that's almost taboo. How do you feel about it?
Everyone knows I dye my hair, I think. I can't hide the fact that every six weeks or so a silver stripe begins to appear on the top of my head. Well, I can't hide it sitting down, anyway. I am taller than 99 percent of people so not everyone can see the top of my head.

Plus, I joke about my hair being Medium Golden Brown because that's what it says on the box. And at my age, 56, very few people have NOT gone gray. Yes, I know, there will always be those few who start leaping up and down and shrieking that they have no gray and that their grandmother lived to be 150 and never got a gray hair and they are just like her, but in REAL life, most people are gray or almost all gray by mid-fifties.

I started going gray at 24, so by my 30s I already colored my hair regularly. However, back then, when a larger percentage of my hair was still brown, I could go a little longer before I had to color it again than I do now. I also changed colors several times over the year--dark red, light red, medium red, darker brown, lighter brown.

My plan is to let it grow in all gray when I am finally retired and then do it bright blue or bright pink, mostly to embarrass my daughter.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:19 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I've been coloring my hair since I was in my twenties, and I'm 66 now. I started going gray early, and wanted to cover it up. But I don't color my hair myself, I have it done professionally, because it stays on longer, and it looks better. My natural color, which I haven't seen in years is dark brown, I'm now a medium blonde with lowlights, and I get complimented on it all the time.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:25 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I love having dark red hair but don't want to spend the time or money on it. My daughter was crayon red for a while and is currently lavender. She wants to go back to a real hair color but doesn't want to cut it off and grow it out.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:26 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I dye my hair because I went grey prematurely (thanks Mom). I'm a 38 year old lady with waist length hair that is naturally black and when it isn't dyed, I look like Cruella DeVille; it's so grey. However, I don't dye as often as the box suggests, every six weeks or so, and it goes rather grey before I do it again. The chemicals are too harsh on hair to do it that often. There's nothing wrong with a person doing whatever he/she wants to look better, IMO.
I henna my hair because it makes me feel happy and young. No one else's business! I'm a natural redhead, so when people ask me, "Is that real?" I say yes. (Of course it's REAL. It's not a hologram of hair! )

People do all sorts of things to enhance their appearance. Why do men shave their faces at all? Why do people get their hair cut? Why shave your legs and lady parts? Why manscape? (really. WHY?) Good heavens, all this concern about what others do and why. I have too much going on in my life to even be curious about what someone does to improve on their appearance unless they are a close friend or SO and ask my opinion...

ScoobySnacks- do I have a treat for you! I discovered a company called Mehandi that offers completely natural henna for hair. No metals and no nasty chemicals. They have Indigo for your hair. I love doing henna. It takes awhile to do it, several hours, and you need to prep the henna the night before if you're using red. I think you can mix Indigo for black hair on the spot. Great benefit - it's not so tightly timed that you have a problem if you leave it on too long. I once fell asleep with it on my head and it was on for 6 hours! It just made my hair color deeper and lasted longer. It's relaxing and a great way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon. (DM me for more tips or questions.)

I don't have any connection to this company, I just love that they provide so much information and have a natural product that doesn't harm me or the environment. Scroll down to see the "How To" page. And if anyone's into body art with henna, this is also a great site for that.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I love having dark red hair but don't want to spend the time or money on it. My daughter was crayon red for a while and is currently lavender. She wants to go back to a real hair color but doesn't want to cut it off and grow it out.
See my note about Mehandi. You and your daughter could have a bonding moment some Saturday afternoon. Do each others hair with henna. It will turn out a different color on both of you due to your different natural pigmentation. They have a "rain" treatment you can put on first that safely takes out the other chemicals. When my daughters and I did this, we had a wonderful time together. They have jet black hair and the 30 year old is already going gray. We used Indigo on her hair, straight henna on mine, and a combo of henna and Indigo on another daughter who wanted black with red highlights. I swear it's one of the most relaxing things you can do. Just be sure you read the instructions all the way through, and use gloves!

Old 03-06-2015, 11:39 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I was already looking. Love the colors. I might do it.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:39 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
I have colored my hair exactly 0 times, and I have 0 plans to ever color my hair!

I've got a few grays sneaking in here and there...I've earned them, so I will proudly display them.
I've got relatively long hair that I put up usually. I'm complemented on it often, so I assume it looks good! For those who don't like, too bad, so sad.

My 20-something son is already going gray.....makes him look distinguished, I think.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,345 times
I dye mine every few months or so... not on a regular schedule. It all looks very natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty