Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:59 PM

523 posts, read 494,991 times

Advertisements

I like the early 80s for one reason.........

the hairdo's, sweaters, and those tight jeans. YUMMY

look at today's fashion, YUCKY

yucky, you'll see lot of those in clubs and bars. and why waste time going to clubs and bars, and wearing those types of dresses? when we can prefer the first pic on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 02:09 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Oh god no. The 80's jeans are horribly unflattering once you develop an ounce of body fat, and the hair is highly flammable.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:34 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Well, I can remember some trampy looks in the 80's, too. Remember the popular look of ripped black hosiery with mini-wear? Of course, styles varied from beginning of 80 to 89.

I can't say I like the hair in either of the comparising photographs, but the 80's do's are a heckuva lot better than the horrid tight-perms (PLEASE don't let those come back!).

I miss the higher-waist pants. I also loved it when the mid-to-later 80's got trendy with neon colors and I wore them a LOT. I had some fun outfits then. I still wear my cobalt-blue sweater from the 80's and it still looks great (I bought it in a discount store for $10 and it's appearance has lasted better than anything else I've bought for a lot more money). There WERE a lot of great sweaters then!

Didn't like the weird makeup look from the 80's but I sure enjoyed the crazy jewelry.

There was something out there for everybody.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Both of those pictures feature people wearing attire, hairstyles, and makeup that is unflattering on them. Decade is immaterial.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:03 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
80s Stone washed jeans and big hair should never have happened. A blemish on an otherwise great decade.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:58 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
What was so wrong about stone washed jeans? And heck, i kinda wish big hair would come back so i wouldnt have to spend so much time each day trying to defrizz my hair

Old 06-13-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
What was so wrong about stone washed jeans? And heck, i kinda wish big hair would come back so i wouldnt have to spend so much time each day trying to defrizz my hair

Stone washed jeans are just so...outdated. Big hair just looks outdated as well. It just looks tacky. Still the 80s were a great decade and overall, the people were thinner and looked better than today.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:38 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Thats not a good reason. Everything is outdated after a few years. Im asking specifically what is wrong with stone washed jeans. Same with big hair. Other than "its out of style" what is wrong with any of it?

"I dont like it" isnt a good reason either.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
The eighties was a fun decade for fashion, even though, like every era, some of the fashions were ridiculous.

Personally, the thing I really enjoyed about 80s fashion was that it was very diverse and fun and colorful.

I remember having a pair of skinny white jeans, and wearing a little geometric patterned spaghetti strapped top with a hot pink, cobalt blue, white and brilliant yellow pattern and a long, streamlined yellow linen jacket with big padded shoulders, with my hot pink vinyl Candies - and y'all, I was rockin' it Miami Vice style in Panama City, Florida! LOL

I really enjoyed the big earrings, the layers of necklaces, the cinched waists, and that Flashdance look as well. I was young and fit and trim and I remember wearing those cropped tops with one shoulder exposed, high waisted jeans (so only a couple of inches of midsection skin showed) and LEGGINGS and thinking I looked like an urban dancer. Errrr, not.

Oh and the BIG HAIR. Having very thick, coarse hair, this wasn't a problem for me at all. One of my favorite styles was a side ponytail with multiple scrunchies in coordinating colors.

And remember layering our socks over our tight legged jeans? And the whole skinny legged black pants and white socks with pointy toed flats - channeling Michael Jackson?

Epaulets, anyone?

Fun fashions, even if we laugh at them now.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Thats not a good reason. Everything is outdated after a few years. Im asking specifically what is wrong with stone washed jeans. Same with big hair. Other than "its out of style" what is wrong with any of it?

"I dont like it" isnt a good reason either.
Well that's just too bad. It looks dated as does anything from the medieval period. No crime in having the look. It just looks funny. So go ahead and look funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty