Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:49 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,476,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Seriously. Short sleeved dress shirts are never OK unless you are 1) a character actor playing a nerd or 2) a Mormon missionary riding a bike around the tropics. These are the only two exceptions allowed.
They are also perfectly worn for annual flu shots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,361,386 times
How does the jury feel about Ban-lons?

They're short sleeved, with only two or three buttons, a la the Henley look, only with a soft collar. Some feature slit sleeves for those men with larger biceps.

I wore them to work before I retired. Comfortable, colorful, and sufficiently spiffy without being nerdy.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:48 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,762,305 times
If the shirt is the right material and you're outside in the sun, it can actually be cooler to leave the sleeves down. This seems to work better in a fairly dry heat, though. Where I live it doesn't top 80 very often, and I don't care for the short sleeve dress shirt look, so I stick with long sleeves. However, if I'm expecting to be fairly active (which is most of the time if I'm outdoors), I just wear a t-shirt. Things are pretty casual in this corner of the country.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:09 PM

35,246 posts, read 17,133,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Does anyone (other than me) think that it's silly for men to wear long sleeve shirts in the heat of summer (in places with 90+ F temperatures and high humidity), only to roll them halfway up so that they're bunched up around the arms?

I just don't get the purpose of this look (mainly with white collar office types) and have to wonder why someone is going to wear long sleeves on such a hot day, knowing that they're going to have to roll them up? Why not just wear short sleeves? To me, The look is just plain silly and it often looks sloppy and uncomfortable, because then the fabric is bunched up in one place, leading to a sweaty point somewhere between the wrists and elbow.
I have a collection of short-sleeve work shirts for the office. But they're hard to come by.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:10 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,129,165 times
I don´t really understand what is wrong with short sleeve shirts or why rolling up sleeves is better.

My Problem is I reinjured my ankle again and have had to give up running so I switched to working out in the gym and now I don´t get my arms in many of my short sleeve shirts.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:13 AM

287 posts, read 327,624 times
My office has a dress code that specifically states no short-sleeve shirts. Ties must be worn at all times. Shirts must be pressed, no frayed collars. Women are required to wear nylons, dresses cannot be more than two inches above the knees, slacks must cover the top of the foot and no opened-toed shoes. We do have casual Friday's- a $5 charity donation gives you the right to wear dress slacks and a polo shirt with the company logo on it. There have been a few days where the bosses have caved and told us we could take off our ties because the of heat (the building A/C is iffy at best).

Old 06-26-2015, 05:57 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,185,559 times
Short Sleeve Button Ups look very Dwight Shruteish to me

Old 06-26-2015, 06:00 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,498,462 times
OP, There are few clothesmore comfortable than a well broken in high quality oxford cloth button-down OCBD any time of the year. I personally have never had hot legs or arms. I rarely wear shorts. I can go wither way on long sleeved shirts. I personally prefer the rolled up sleeve look though recently I have been craving a nice short sleeve button down to wear with a tie for a more nostalgic look.

I can find good OCBD's, I wish I could find good Khaki's!

Old 06-26-2015, 06:01 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,498,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyforprez View Post
My office has a dress code that specifically states no short-sleeve shirts. Ties must be worn at all times. Shirts must be pressed, no frayed collars. Women are required to wear nylons, dresses cannot be more than two inches above the knees, slacks must cover the top of the foot and no opened-toed shoes. We do have casual Friday's- a $5 charity donation gives you the right to wear dress slacks and a polo shirt with the company logo on it. There have been a few days where the bosses have caved and told us we could take off our ties because the of heat (the building A/C is iffy at best).
OMG! This sounds like a den of hedonism with very loose morals!

Old 06-26-2015, 06:51 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,942,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyforprez View Post
Polo shirts with the company logo? No need for any logo, seems a bit over-the-top..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty