Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 AM

75 posts, read 88,686 times

Advertisements

I tend to wear socks all the time, when not in bed, even in the summer. My girlfriend asked me why and I didn't have a good answer. I mainly do it out of habit.

In general she prefers to go barefoot all the time and suggested that I try it. So I did. My tennis shoes don't feel good without socks so she picked me out some nice sandals and said they look good on me. She suggested that I wear them to a BBQ we went to the other day but I was a bit embarrassed mainly because I have a sock tan lol (legs are tanned but not feet). She said I need to get some sun there.
I have to admit it's more comfortable going sockless but is this really a good look for a guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:31 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times
Your girlfriend is right. Just work on your tan now. Let your feet enjoy fresh air in the summertime

Old 08-26-2015, 10:46 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Best you learn this now....the girlfriend is always right.

Say it with me, "Yes, dear. You are right, dear. I love you."

Repeat multiple times daily to keep a peaceful and happy relationship.

FWIW, I hate shoes. I wear flip flops, sandals, or go barefoot whenever possible. Only when walking do I wear socks in the summer.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:49 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I agree with your girlfriend, and it's not just because of sock tan or lack thereof. I used to wear tennis shoes all the time and never wear sandals. I live in a very hot humid climate and one day I noticed some small white spots on my toenails. I ignored them at first but they didn't go away; they just got bigger. I told my doctor about it and he told me it was toenail fungus. Toenail fungus!!! EEEWWW! He told me just to cover it up with toenail polish and I said hell no; fungus was gross and I wanted rid of it right now. He laughed and wrote me a prescription for expensive toenail polish. I applied it faithfully for four months and the fungus finally went away. Since then, I wear sandals all the time, even in the winter sometimes. You should too, because your feet need to be dry and need fresh air to stay healthy.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:49 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
I tend to wear socks all the time, when not in bed, even in the summer. My girlfriend asked me why and I didn't have a good answer. I mainly do it out of habit.

In general she prefers to go barefoot all the time and suggested that I try it. So I did. My tennis shoes don't feel good without socks so she picked me out some nice sandals and said they look good on me. She suggested that I wear them to a BBQ we went to the other day but I was a bit embarrassed mainly because I have a sock tan lol (legs are tanned but not feet). She said I need to get some sun there.
I have to admit it's more comfortable going sockless but is this really a good look for a guy?
She is neither right nor wrong. She is expressing her preference. It's up to you. Anything else about you that she is trying to change?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:50 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
I'd kick her to the curb.

...no but seriously - why is it such a big deal to her? If you like wearing socks...wear socks. Especially in summer. I hate flip flops. I can't drive with them, and I don't drive barefoot. My cars have stiff clutches...I don't get how people drive with flip flops...or walk...or run....

IF you wear regular shoes without socks your feet will stink them up quicker.

So yeah, find a new GF and wear socks.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:50 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I would like to know exactly how this was phrased. If your girlfriend said "You shouldn't wear socks in the summer; take them off right away," then she would become an EX-girlfriend very quickly. No way would I tolerate someone trying to exert that much control over my life.

On the other hand, if she said "You know, I think you'd look better without socks, and your feet might be more comfortable without them in the summer heat," then I'd give it a shot and see how it felt.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, I think it's just a matter of personal preference and style. As for myself, I prefer wearing socks year-round.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:01 AM

75 posts, read 88,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would like to know exactly how this was phrased. If your girlfriend said "You shouldn't wear socks in the summer; take them off right away," then she would become an EX-girlfriend very quickly. No way would I tolerate someone trying to exert that much control over my life.

On the other hand, if she said "You know, I think you'd look better without socks, and your feet might be more comfortable without them in the summer heat," then I'd give it a shot and see how it felt.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, I think it's just a matter of personal preference and style. As for myself, I prefer wearing socks year-round.
It was the 2nd scenario, she wasn't rude about it. I have to admit it's more comfortable....just wasn't sure in general if that's a good look for a guy when in public.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
It depends on the type of shoe you are wearing. If you are wearing sneakers then ankle socks are accectable. If you are wearing boat shoes then no socks are needed

Old 08-26-2015, 11:17 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Just so you're not wearing socks WITH sandals. Anythings looks better than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty