Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 07:28 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times

Advertisements

Rebel Wilson Thinks Plus-Size Clothing Is Awful ? and She's Doing Something About It - Mic

I'm old enough to be Rebel Wilson's aunt and I don't even like the styles they have for older women I've lost some weight but I just might check out Torrid because at a size 12 I'm STILL considered PLUS size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 08:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Cute dress.

I wish there were more nice modern classic clothing for plus sizes. I am sure those Torrid items will be cute on paper, but cheaply made. There are limited mid to high end options that don't look crazy.

Nice, well cut staples that are modern (like Theroy) would be great in a wider size range.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:55 AM

620 posts, read 639,016 times
I just wish there were more options. I shop primarily at Lane Bryant mainly because it's the only option for professional business casual. Torrid is too young (which makes me sound old, and I'm not). Catherine's is VERY matronly, and Avenue is cheap crap. There are a few department stores with halfway decent plus size sections, but that's pretty much it. At least in my area.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:08 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I buy everything off of ModCloth but would love to have more options to try clothes on. Torrid hasn't been appropriate since high school, the Avenue is all polyester crap, and Lane Bryant is far too old. Larger women need more structure in our clothing - tailored blazers, dresses that nip in at the waist, fashionable belts, etc. and yet it can be near impossible to find such garments at shops specifically selling clothing for us. The muumuus of the 1970s still seem to be overly prevalent and they look no less awful today than they did in 1973.

And don't even get me started on plus size workout wear.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:17 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Ther term "plus size" is what's most tacky, not the clothes themselves. As an aside, there are hideous clothes in every size. My wife and I are both short. She's tiny, and I'm average, and we have a hard time finding clothes that aren't ugly. I don't know who these manufacturers are, but I don't think they consult with regular women about their desires in clothing.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:08 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
I just wish there were more options. I shop primarily at Lane Bryant mainly because it's the only option for professional business casual. Torrid is too young (which makes me sound old, and I'm not). Catherine's is VERY matronly, and Avenue is cheap crap. There are a few department stores with halfway decent plus size sections, but that's pretty much it. At least in my area.
Talbot's plus sizes are well made, but expensive. They might be an option for your work clothes.

Lane Bryant seems to have a lot of weird styles, zippers in odd places or fake leather panels or other things that just make the clothes weird. They do have workout clothes, but they seem to focus on appearance rather than function...who wants exercise clothes with really tight tummy-control panels? not me

Torrid is really overpriced for a store that is basically plus-size juniors clothes. Plus, their jeans fit really weird, they always seem to have room for an extra butt around the top of the thighs. And what good are clothes that are too fragile to go in the washing machine, like all of their more interesting-looking tops?

I can't figure out the fit at Avenue anymore...I could shop there when I was a size 30/32, and my sister who wears that size can shop there, but now that I'm a 20 or 22, nothing in there fits me the right way, no room in the shoulders or bust and way too big around the tummy. And their jeans are sized so inconsistently...take 4 or 5 pairs of their jeans, compare the size at the waist, the jeans will all have the same size label but they'll have several inches of variation between the different pairs.

Catherine's...Catherine's is good when you're too big to fit the clothes anywhere else. Catherine's is expensive, probably for that reason. I've always wondered if people really buy the regular plus sizes there, or if everyone who can fit other clothes avoids Catherine's. I know I quit going there as soon as I could fit into clothes from other places.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:21 AM

I love torrid's skinny jeans or jeggings. They fit me fairly well outside of the waist. Forever 21 jeans are hit or miss on fit and fabric. And old navy ones don't fit me. Too lazy to deal with gap online if I need to go up one size for proper fit.

I find Talbot fits matronly. I am too trendy for talbots. I am at the border size wise and find that for certain things (Blazers, dress pants) I need to go to plus. For dresses, tops and most skirts I can stay in the standard stores.

I have found stuff at Ann Taylor, but you need to go online.

Modcloth is experimenting with a fit store. The first one is in SF and it try stuff on only.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:57 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Cute dress.

I wish there were more nice modern classic clothing for plus sizes. I am sure those Torrid items will be cute on paper, but cheaply made. There are limited mid to high end options that don't look crazy.

Nice, well cut staples that are modern (like Theroy) would be great in a wider size range.
Torrid is sold by One Stop Plus and Roaman's, and they are decently made, but they are fitted for teenagers and juniors, not misses sizes.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Torrid is sold by One Stop Plus and Roaman's, and they are decently made, but they are fitted for teenagers and juniors, not misses sizes.
I have too much waist definition for torrid. And they don't have a small enough band/large enough cups to accommodate my bra size so I just get trendy jeans.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:39 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
In the Northeast I like Dress Barn Women. They have a website as well. I always bought their stuff for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty