Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Get a plain white bra underneath..

White shirts demand white bras.
Actually, this isn't true at all. The least likely to be visible lingerie color under white clothing is flesh-tone.

I own no white bras, for exactly this reason. I don't need to wear a white bra with darker colored clothing (i.e. most of my clothing), and for use under white/light clothing, nude lingerie is generally more discreet than white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 10:32 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
Flesh tone bra. (I remember a friend of mine in college amazed that I would wear an off-white bra with a white shirt. She had very dark skin and, of course, would wear a black bra with a white top. I guess she just knew the "rule" from her Mom or whoever and didn't consider the why of it.) Smooth construction with no extra trim, etc. Hold a shirt up in natural light and see how transparent it is. If it's too transparent, wear a camisole or extra shirt with it.

But... bras are going to show up at some point. There will be an indentation or a faint line or a strap sneaking into view. As long as you do everything within reason to keep it hidden, you're fine.

Women who wear a normal bra with a cami, halter or racer-back tank though... No. Make an effort at least!

Old 12-11-2015, 10:38 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
Anytime a bra is showing is tacky. Wear a cami. Or in the case of a tank, a half bra.
Bras are made to hold the girls in. Period. Not to be displayed.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:40 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
Since we are on the topic, do you think it's tacky in the summertime if a woman shows bra straps when she's wearing a tank top?
No just tacky. But, trailer trash tacky.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:35 AM

758 posts, read 1,640,489 times
I rarely wear white shirts because this is a particular pet peeve of mine. I've tried white bras, flesh colored, pale colors...they all tend to show through most white shirts I have. As a consequence, all of those white shirts--which happen to be t-shirts--have become gym shirts (since I don't have the same issues with seeing a sports bra under a shirt, especially when working out and said shirt gets sweaty), and I don't buy white shirts any more.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I don't buy white shirts because they stain and discolor easily, and white is unflattering on me. I didn't even wear white for my wedding.

But occasionally, I have had to wear white for various uniforms, and concert attire for music performances. For those occasions, nude bras have worked fine.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:05 PM

23 posts, read 61,846 times
In my opinion, if both fit you properly it isn't tacky. My daughter wears those tops and they are sized properly. She wears them with nude bras, also sized properly, and she has creases where the bra band is. If it were a different kind of top I might suggest you wear a cami under it. That's what my older daughter does.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:45 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,416,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
No just tacky. But, trailer trash tacky.
If you came to my neighborhood in summer, you'd think that all the teenage girls must live in trailers, which would be strange because there aren't many trailer parks around here.

Some of us can remember a time when it was a major sin to let a bra show, but there was no absolute requirement for women to wear a bra at all.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:48 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
Is it tacky for your bra to kind of show when you wear a white top/blouse? What I mean is the shirt is light in color and slightly fitted so you can see in the indentations of the bra straps/band on your back, and of course the bra is a conservative color/beige.
That's fine.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Get a plain white bra underneath..

White shirts demand white bras.
No this is not true. White shirts demand a bra that is similar to your skin tone. Nude may work for you if you have lighter skin. For someone like me, who is darker, white is like flashing a neon sign. I can wear a black bra. Or a purple bra or any dark colored bra without issue.

Though these days many shirts are so thin everything is visible even when choosing your colors wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty