Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:32 AM

6,422 posts, read 4,917,410 times

Advertisements

Optician and Optical Business owner for 45 years. As far as color of your frame, go with whatever makes you happy. True black goes with everything but its not for everyone, colors come and go. When I started out in the 1960's frames were Tortoise or Black period. European frames came as a single unit whereas domestic frames came in pieces so you could get a better fit by changing the temples (sides) for the correct length. My parents, who owned an optical company paid me .02 for every frame I assembled (child slave labor ). Because of OSHA laws domestically produced metal frames did not have the color palette of foreign ones and did not compare. For those and other reasons there is virtually no domestic frames. They mostly come from China (big surprise there) and Italy plus a smattering of Titanium from Japan and a very few from Germany and France.
European frames always were better styled. In the early 1970's France, Germany and Italy were the big producers with the UK and Spain lesser so. Better colors, better finish and better quality. Domestic ones were clunky by comparison.
Before the advent of Transitions, when lenses were made of glass, there was Photogray (got darker outside, lighter in) by Corning which was very popular. When plastic lenses took over because of safety and lighter weight, despite scratching easier, Transitions by Essilor came out and revolutionized the industry. They are now on Transitions VII which is an improvement on the previous 6 getting darker outside,lighter inside and doing it faster. I have them and love them.
I recommend Crizal anti-reflective coating as well because its very scratch resistant and helps with night driving. There are also digital lenses now which further improve your vision.
Good luck and enjoy your new glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 09:02 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
There are also some new styles of frames that have a base color and change into different hues when you move your head. My new Tura glasses are like that. They are a base tortoise color with a purple accent, and it really shows when I turn my head to the side. I love the look.
Attached Thumbnails
Black or purple glasses?-tura.jpg  

Old 07-04-2016, 11:28 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
For those who haven't read my last post, Optician here. Here's the deal about Transitions:

Many people don't like them because they stay dark for a few minutes when they go indoors. That is true but the vision is not compromised when you go inside; it's just a little darker until it turns light again. Transitions are NOT a sunglass. They do NOT get as dark as a sunglass. If you don't want super dark, they are fine, but if you do, sunglasses are best. If you have cataracts. they can help cut that irritating glare that you experience while driving. They do not darken at night at all.

There are three levels of Transitions: regular, which does not get dark in your car, Xtractive, which partially darkens in your car, and Transvantage, which partially darkens in your car and offers UV protection. If you have tinted windows or wear hats it blocks the action of the Transitions so they don't work as well. If you want them as dark as possible, get a plastic lens, not polycarbonate, Trivex, or hi-index. There are two colors available, brown or grey. You can only get them in single vision, lined bifocal, or progressive lenses, not trifocal at this time. Oh, one more thing. They are rarely covered well by insurance: 50% at best, and not at all with Medicare. I hope that explains thing well for you guys!

Thanks for the info

Old 07-04-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
There are also some new styles of frames that have a base color and change into different hues when you move your head. My new Tura glasses are like that. They are a base tortoise color with a purple accent, and it really shows when I turn my head to the side. I love the look.

Wow!

How much do these cost? My optometrist doesn't carry such, actually, his selection is a bit limited. Can I order these through them? Or would there be a financial dis-incentive for them?

Old 07-04-2016, 11:37 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,837 times
I am older than you and have had cranberry/purple framed glasses for over a year. I love them. I never thought about being too old to wear colored frames.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:38 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times
I honestly think that people over 60 who wear colorful glasses or blue nail polish etc. are very cool. And I'm the neutral type too.

But I'm 51. When I've over 60, I'm having a little fun!

Go for it!

Alley

Old 07-04-2016, 12:38 PM

496 posts, read 396,144 times
I'm 62 and shockingly don't look a day over 61. I had to get new glasses, usually fun for me to pick out something new but the night before I only had two hours of sleep and i looked wretched. Nothing that I tried on looked good except for a very dark (almost black) tortoise Kate Spade frames. I was sick of trying on frames so I went with them. It has taken me about three months to get used to them. The frame shape is very attractive on me but the almost black is intense. I wish I had gone with a color but I'm too cheap to buy different frames. I can't wait to ditch the dark frame. Go with the purple ones you love!!!

Old 07-04-2016, 01:15 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Wow!

How much do these cost? My optometrist doesn't carry such, actually, his selection is a bit limited. Can I order these through them? Or would there be a financial dis-incentive for them?
That frame is $175 retail at our optical (about average for a frame in our area) but prices vary from one optical to another. If you have vision insurance, the insurance will normally pay for most or all of the cost of a frame, and if you don't, you can ask for a cash discount.

If you are interested in this specific frame, it is a Tura R536, 51 eye. Most opticals will order frames for you to view if they don't have something you like in stock, and will also let you browse online catalogs to help you find something you want. There is no obligation for you to buy any frames they order for you to look at: if you don't like them, they keep them as stock frames or return them to the manufacturer.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:38 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
Purple!

This is not even ALL of my glasses. I like wearing glasses and think of them as jewelry/accessories, and I buy them to coordinate with the color (of clothing) I prefer to wear. Happily, my prescription does not change much year after year, so I can wear all of these.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
That frame is $175 retail at our optical (about average for a frame in our area) but prices vary from one optical to another. If you have vision insurance, the insurance will normally pay for most or all of the cost of a frame, and if you don't, you can ask for a cash discount.

If you are interested in this specific frame, it is a Tura R536, 51 eye. Most opticals will order frames for you to view if they don't have something you like in stock, and will also let you browse online catalogs to help you find something you want. There is no obligation for you to buy any frames they order for you to look at: if you don't like them, they keep them as stock frames or return them to the manufacturer.

Thanks for the info!

The purple frames I like are $159, so, about the same price. My insurance covers up to $140. In interest of time, I think I will go with the purple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty