Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:33 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

Didn't click on the article, as I have always said here, everyone should wear what they want - it's no one's business but one's own. I am almost 67 years old, and if I want to wear short skirts (which I do) I will - I too have long tanned and toned legs from all my working out and dancing so I feel free to show them (at least to a certain cut-off point, lol)

Frankly if someone wants to dress up as Bozo the Clown or a costume every day it is their right to do so, as long as they don't have a dress code at work or something that would prohibit that.

There is a woman in my tap dance class who is 87 years old, and comes in wearing pointed toe stilletto heels! She loves shoes! One is NEVER too old for anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 11:38 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
A T-shirt with a chicken on it? Mommy likey. I want one.
Women's Dark T-Shirt | CafePress.com

I also wear a tiara sometimes (not outside). It's my daughter's from a winter dance, and sometimes it'll end up downstairs. It is the most comfortable headband ever. It holds my hair back perfectly and I forget it's there. My son had a friend over a few weeks ago. His mom came to pick him up and we chatted for several minutes. She smiled a lot when she talked and finally she said, "I love your tiara." I forgot I was wearing it.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:09 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
[quote=animalcrazy;45053272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Ew, clickbait. I wear what I want. Maybe someday I will want to look matronly and sedate, but not yet, thank God. My grandmas wear powder blue seersucker tops with matching capris embroidered with bees. I'm not there yet. I'm wearing cutoff jeans and a T-shirt with a chicken on it.

Wear clothes that fit. Wear clothes you like. The end.

Okay mini skirts on a very pregnant woman is a big No No. I'm too old to wear one but I swear it would have looked better on me. Yikes.

"... matching capris embroidered with bees..." OMG that is too funny!

Old 08-08-2016, 12:12 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
I might be too old to wear short shorts. It doesn't stop me from wearing them. It didn't stop getting hot in the summer just because I got older.

When someone is willing to buy me a whole new wardrobe is when I'll care about someone else's opinion about what I wear.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:18 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I saw a woman (under 40) wearing a t-shirt with a teddy bear on it. This past Friday at work (business casual office, but we can wear jeans on Fridays). I admit I did a double take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Nail polish; my aversion to the trendy colors has nothing to do with my age. Yellow reminds me of nail fungus or a chain-smoker, black looks "corpse-like". No thanks.
I'm also not a fan of the non-traditional colors... I haven't found blue (esp navy blue) nail polish to be flattering on anyone. I prefer red, pink, or natural (French manicure). Just personal preference though.

Quote:
I also wear a tiara sometimes (not outside). It's my daughter's from a winter dance, and sometimes it'll end up downstairs. It is the most comfortable headband ever. It holds my hair back perfectly and I forget it's there. My son had a friend over a few weeks ago. His mom came to pick him up and we chatted for several minutes. She smiled a lot when she talked and finally she said, "I love your tiara." I forgot I was wearing it.
I was about to say that I'd never seen or heard of a woman wearing a tiara, and then I read your post...

I love tiaras but alas there is really nowhere for me to wear one.

In any case, I don't think this list really serves any useful purpose, or at least the one it purports to. It just allows people who don't wear these things to feel morally validated, and anyone who does will fall into the "don't tell me how to dress" bucket. I'm not saying either is completely right or wrong, but no one is going to read it and think, you know, now that they mention it, I probably *am* too old for this crop top.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:27 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Women's Dark T-Shirt | CafePress.com

I think we should totally start a trend! Start wearing tiaras everywhere! Ever since I was a little girl, I felt like I was a queen and still do. I always wore tiaras or little home-made crowns. I think I will order one off ebay or something and wear it to the store just for kicks!

Old 08-08-2016, 03:50 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
Fashion rules are generally stupid, and these are no exception. I've seen plenty of girls in their late teens who should have reconsidered wearing midriff baring shirts and shorts even though they are "age appropriate". And while I've never worn most of the clothing items mentioned, I absolutely would if I wanted to.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
I don't ever scroll through those pages-after-pages clickie "articles." They're to obtain more clicks for the site, which is dumb, and they tend to clog up the works and slow them down and then are a pain to click backward from to your initial search, which is even dumber.

Whatever it is, I'm sure it was designed to make people all stand up and go "But that's RIDICULOUS! Wear what you want!"

Old 08-08-2016, 04:19 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
I believe you can wear a few of the "trends" after 40 either modifed or "full on" if it's a nail color or a scarf, handbag, sunglasses. I wear more simple cuts that flatter my figure and neutrals with pops of color except summer when I channel my inner 1970's diva and wear colorful(mostly blues) shifts, tunics and caftans. I wear a fun color on my toes and a hat with sunglasses. Summer is so much fun to express yourself through personal style and I think it's the best season for women of a "certain age".

Old 08-08-2016, 05:05 PM

551 posts, read 582,903 times
Should be called Trends You're Too Adult To Wear.. really, stripper heels? Crop tops and hot pants? Tiaras?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty