Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 03:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
It's really not that serious and not meant to start some sort of gender war. If this was something other than a lighthearted observation, I could have posted this in Great Debates or something. I think that you are really overreacting. It's not like I am writing a thesis on it.
Perhaps not bashing one gender would help and I am not over reacting.
If your post is nothing more than *a lightheared observation* it would not have been important enough to you to even mention let alone make a thread about.
I think it would behoove you to learn what *lighthearted* is defined as.

PS ~~ This topic really has nothing to do with Fashion and Beauty either which is merely my opinion and lighthearted observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 04:34 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Exactly.

I mean let's face it, if you started out with two-buck chuck...
Haha - so funny!

Old 08-10-2016, 10:05 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
No matter the sex if you are lucky enough to have the genes, eat right, keep your weight down, and exercise you will look good as you age.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:10 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
No matter the sex if you are lucky enough to have the genes, eat right, keep your weight down, and exercise you will look good as you age.
This plus if you stayed out of the sun otherwise sun damage shows up in the 40's and leathery skin plus crepy chest with sun spots is the norm on lighter skinned women. Long term smokers and drinkers/ drug users even after stopping addictive behavior still wreaks havoc on the face, skin and overrall health.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:58 PM

298 posts, read 276,847 times
We all age and so what? I don't think I will age like wine since I never even took a sip of it once in my life either.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:19 AM

768 posts, read 718,778 times
I was interested to see what was meant by wine & milk in this case. Milk could curdle or infer a creamy complexion. Wine could turn bitter or sour or age like ...well like a fine wine.

Anyway...so glad to see so many positive & encouraging comments. I have looked younger than my age throughout my lifetime but over 60 years on earth & having children takes a toll on a woman's body & health. Thank you to all who have such a good attitude towards both genders.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:03 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
This plus if you stayed out of the sun otherwise sun damage shows up in the 40's and leathery skin plus crepy chest with sun spots is the norm on lighter skinned women. Long term smokers and drinkers/ drug users even after stopping addictive behavior still wreaks havoc on the face, skin and overrall health.
Yes! Forgot to add this.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:26 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
Quote:
Based on what I have seen on Facebook, the women I went to school with look pretty good, whereas, sorry, the men look terrible. Many of them lost their hair and/or gained a lot of weight. Why does it seem that there is this myth that men look better when they get older, but not women? Why does it persist? I have talked to a number of 50+ women that have no interest dating men their own age because they just do not take care of themselves.
I don't think its a myth at all and think that all things being equal that men generally do age better than women. I think the main reason for this is that women who lose their youthfulness become less attractive while men who lose their youthfulness can still look mature and distinguished. Namely men have a second stage in their life where they can still be attractive to the opposite sex while most women don't have that second stage and they enter a slow or fast decline in physical attractiveness depending on how well they keep themselves.

The 50+ women you've talked to may not have an interest in dating men their own age and I'm sure 50+ men often feel the same way, BUT unlike 50+ women, older men have a much better chance at finding a younger partner than older women do. Even without fame and fortune, an older man STILL has a much better chance at meeting someone younger than an older woman does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I don't understand why we always have to do this. This is not directed at you, OP, but just in general, why do we always have to have these wars between the sexes where we tear each other apart, discussing who gets older- and uglier-looking first? Same goes for other arguments between the sexes over basic things, differences between us that we don't necessarily have any control over.
It doesn't always have to be a war. It is quite possible to have a conversation about men and women without it having to turn nasty.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:21 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
always remember, BOTOX IS your friend.

it works wonders and takes years off you!!!!

Old 08-11-2016, 11:40 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Why does it seem that there is this myth that men look better when they get older, but not women?
In general:

Men are deemed desirable by potential partners for their earning power and professional success, which improve with age. A man's looks become less important to partners with age.

Women are deemed desirable by potential partners for their beauty and fertility, which decline with age.

I doubt these societal norms will ever change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty