Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times

Advertisements

How long a suit should last? I bought a wool blend suit about 5 years ago from a guy who is highly recommended in my area. Gets tons of awesome reviews online etc... We met up, he measured me, went over options, I picked out a suit and a month later got it.

I've had it for 5 years and probably worn it 15-20 times. I store it in closet in a bag with a cedar hangar. It is pretty much junk at this point. I've had to have the pant leg fixed twice (split). And now it is just looking really bad. It is showing signs of wear on parts of the jacket and pants. Lighter colored areas and areas where the fabric is fraying or coming up or just looking different.

The suit was only around $500. I only went with this guy on the personal recommendation of others and online reviews. How long should a good suit last? Am I storing it improperly or something that it is looking ragged after 5 years? Or do suits really only last 5 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 02:00 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I just handed down several Burberry suits of SO which have been around 35 years. He outgrew them:>) Buy something off the rack where you can get tops and bottoms and buy two bottoms. Do not store it under a plastic cover! I use king pillow cases and suit coat hangers for tops and clamps for bottoms.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Sounds like poor quality. I have a couple that are 25 years old still looking new, but can't fit in them.

I suppose by now I should give up. My newest two are about 5 years old and look good, but I don't wear them much.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:49 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
A good quality suit should definitely last longer than 5 years. I have some suit jackets that belonged to my late husband and they are probably 40 years old and still look like new.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
How long a suit should last? I bought a wool blend suit about 5 years ago from a guy who is highly recommended in my area. Gets tons of awesome reviews online etc... We met up, he measured me, went over options, I picked out a suit and a month later got it.

I've had it for 5 years and probably worn it 15-20 times. I store it in closet in a bag with a cedar hangar. It is pretty much junk at this point. I've had to have the pant leg fixed twice (split). And now it is just looking really bad. It is showing signs of wear on parts of the jacket and pants. Lighter colored areas and areas where the fabric is fraying or coming up or just looking different.

The suit was only around $500. I only went with this guy on the personal recommendation of others and online reviews. How long should a good suit last? Am I storing it improperly or something that it is looking ragged after 5 years? Or do suits really only last 5 years?
You bought it from a "guy"?

There's your problem. Get suits from a good clothing STORE. A suit should easily last 10 years or more.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:10 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You bought it from a "guy"?

There's your problem. Get suits from a good clothing STORE. A suit should easily last 10 years or more.
Sorry it's a business, run by one man. He does everything and gets awesome reviews. I think it's more about my storage than anything.

I did some research online and I'm not seeing anywhere saying suits should last much more than 5 years unfortunately. Maybe suits were made better "back in the day".

Old 08-25-2016, 06:18 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Sorry it's a business, run by one man. He does everything and gets awesome reviews. I think it's more about my storage than anything.

I did some research online and I'm not seeing anywhere saying suits should last much more than 5 years unfortunately. Maybe suits were made better "back in the day".

Your research is lacking. Are you wearing the suit every day? Every week? Once a month? Obviously you are not as you said you've worn it 15-20 times. Which means the suit is crap.

As far as how long a suit will last, it completely depends on the frequency of wear and how you take care of it. I know lots of guys that still wear suits 10 years old, and older, and they look great.

How long do you expect a suit to last?

Old 08-28-2016, 11:02 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
All depends on how often you wear the suit, the quality of the garment, and whether or not you purchased something trendy that will go out of style in a few years. Suits for everyday wear should be of good quality, which means a half-canvassed suit made by a reputable maker, and not from their cheapest line-up. Most makers have different tiers of quality. Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman, all make excellent suits in a more traditional cut that will remain in style for years to come but you have to buy from their top tier selections if you want them to last.

If you only wear a suit a few times per year then you can get away with something less expensive from Men's Wearhouse, Macy's or Jos A Bank, and it should last you five to ten years easy.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:55 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
My problem was I out grew my suits before I wore them out........LOL

One bit of advice is to have several of things (suits, pants, shoes, shirts, etc.) and rotate them so you do not wear them out. Like wear suit A on Monday, Suit B on Tue, Suite C on Wed, then back to A or B for Thur, etc. Get them off ASAP and hanging between wearings so the can reform, wrinkle out, etc.

When traveling if for only two days wear the same suit. If 3 or more days than two suits will be needed.

A shoe salesman once told me that 2 pairs of $80 shoes will last 3 times longer than one pair of $200 shoes if rotated in usage. Especially true with golf shoes.

Last edited by johngolf; 08-29-2016 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-29-2016, 06:01 PM

95 posts, read 189,078 times
I have 20+ suits, various coats, and 3 tuxedos, many over 30 years old, all still wearable. I read somewhere recently that pinstripes are a no-no. Ladies, is this true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty