Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:11 PM

13 posts, read 7,692 times

Advertisements

I am, as my name indicates, cheerfully clueless about what to wear for business-related meetings. I've worked from home for over a decade, so I'm out of the loop on casual "professional" clothing.

I am a writer, will be meeting with the representative of a possible publisher. Her (professional) web page shows her wearing jeans, a top, and some scarf-like thing, so I'm guessing I can be somewhat casual.

Here's what has me concerned: I'm probably 15 or so years older than she is. So I don't want to look like her mom, OR look like I'm trying to dress too young, either.

I am 50 years old, size 10, about 5'7", and in my private life wear a lot of jeans, in dark denim, khaki denim, and black denim. Occasionally, when it's cooler, I wear skirts above the knee, with tights. My shoes are all rather casual, except for one pair of black suede heels. I do not have any idea how to add a scarf to an outfit unless it's with a winter coat--otherwise it seems odd and floppy to me. Not that I have to have a scarf. Not that I need to mirror this person I'll be having a meeting with.

I don't have a clue, but I do have a couple of weeks to assemble a casual, cheerful business outfit.

Thanks for any suggestions.
CBC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 09:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Use your dark or black denim, an expensive and nicely fitting white shirt and a tweedy jacket. If you wear gold, put nice gold earrings on. Wear a couple of nice rings, especially if one of them is an artisan made ring. Don't wear a scarf since you aren't comfortable doing so. Open the throat of the shirt though.

For shoes wear something dressier than tennis shoes--maybe suede booties or wedges. You can match the color of your belt with your shoes. I think that is a nice subtle sign that you are well put together.

Get a manicure and make sure your hair is as good as you can get it.

Good luck! May you have a successful meeting.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:35 AM

13 posts, read 7,692 times
Thank you so much!

"Nicely fitting white shirt" means woven, NOT knit, right? Like oxford cloth, cotton, or linen?

And nicely fitting means not very puffy, but fitted more to the body?

I have all the stuff you suggest already! Except maybe the shirt.

I would not have thought of adding a belt (matching or not!), tweedy jacket, or the manicure, all great ideas.

And on the jeans, is straight leg good? I know more wide leg are recommended for the fashionable this fall, but let's remember who we are dealing with here. I own boot cut, flare, and straight ones. I hate mid-rise jeans, they all look mom-ish to me, but that seems to be the thing now. Thanks again!

Last edited by cheerfullyclueless; 09-22-2016 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-22-2016, 01:20 PM

By using "nicely fitting" I meant to say, "a woven shirt that fits you well."

One good quality white shirt will serve you well for years. I would not go baggy. You are wearing this under a jacket. Opening the throat of the shirt is a signal that you are open minded. Buttoning it up signals the opposite, in my opinion.

Use the jeans that look the best on you, and that work well with your booties. I doubt your interviewer will be critiquing your style.

Whatever you choose should make you feel confident. Doing the details well will give you a boost of confidence.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:20 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
By using "nicely fitting" I meant to say, "a woven shirt that fits you well."

One good quality white shirt will serve you well for years. I would not go baggy. You are wearing this under a jacket. Opening the throat of the shirt is a signal that you are open minded. Buttoning it up signals the opposite, in my opinion.

Use the jeans that look the best on you, and that work well with your booties. I doubt your interviewer will be critiquing your style.

Whatever you choose should make you feel confident. Doing the details well will give you a boost of confidence.
Must it be a jacket? Too hot for that, still.

I would take the denim jeans and a blouse in any color, but white!

Old 09-22-2016, 02:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I wouldn't pick a white blouse either, personally.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I wouldn't pick a white blouse either, personally.
Thanks! Too formal and a bit boring, right?!

Old 09-22-2016, 02:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Thanks! Too formal and a bit boring, right?!
No, I'm just top heavy and the white shirt makes it look a lot worse. And it's hard to get a bra not to show under a white shirt, even a skin-colored bra.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:33 PM

I was giving the OP my opinion. I wear white shirts all the time, and I am certainly not slim. I think they are classic. I also they look fresh. If you buy a good quality white shirt, and wear a flesh colored bra, there should almost no show through. And under a jacket, who would see?

I think the OP is to meet next month. That was my understanding. Unless there is a horrible heat wave next month, surely a warmish jacket would be suitable?

Old 09-22-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I was giving the OP my opinion. I wear white shirts all the time, and I am certainly not slim. I think they are classic. I also they look fresh. If you buy a good quality white shirt, and wear a flesh colored bra, there should almost no show through. And under a jacket, who would see?

I think the OP is to meet next month. That was my understanding. Unless there is a horrible heat wave next month, surely a warmish jacket would be suitable?
O.k. I missed that one month away, then a jacket is for sure appropriate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty