Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 06:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times

Advertisements

I think I'm pretty short-waisted and long-legged. When I was pregnant, I went up two cup sizes to a D. I hated the way tops fit! It was so hard to find things that felt and looked good. Everything felt too small. I feel like sweaters and shirts are barely long enough as it is, I can't imagine regularly being a D cup (or larger) or having a longer torso than I do. I do have a broad chest and shoulders (my band size, for example, is hard to find because it's long), so maybe that's what's using up the room in my shirt

Because my legs are long, I need "long" sizes in pants. Is there an equivalent for shirts? What do those of you with long torsos or big chests (or BOTH!) do?? Just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 06:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I'm tall (5'9"),and reasonably slender, and rarely buy anything in stores. I stick to online shopping at companies that carry tall sizes. Fortunately, there are many to choose from these days. I can't stand when you buy larger sizes to get extra length, only to realize they are still too short, and now they are also too wide.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I get shirts that are intentionally long in style. Dresses can be tricky. Some for too high on the waist.

It is really hard to get short or sleeveless items as I am busty with narrower shoulders. The arm holes end up being too low because tops assume width from side to side not front to back.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:14 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I'm short but I have a long torso and wear a F cup. I buy tunic length shirts.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:11 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm short but I have a long torso and wear a F cup. I buy tunic length shirts.
I'm 5'4", have a short torso, and wear a DDD/F cup.

I don't generally have a problem. Some tops are too long, and I will occasionally take things to be hemmed. Obviously depends on what it is -- hemming works for tee-shirts and tanks. My bust size is not a problem.

My short torso is more challenging. Like Hedgehog, I do wear a lot of tunic-style shirts, and I NEVER tuck anything in, and I never wear those cinchy/fitted belts, especially if they are wide.I can't wear shirts with a seam under the bust, because the seam usually hits too high. I can't wear high-waisted anything because the top part of my torso is short. I'm 5'4" and CAN get away with wearing petite dresses, which may fit better through my torso because of the proportions, although they'll be little short in the leg, because I have long legs for my height. (And I had to have my empire-waist wedding gown and one bridesmaid dress taken apart and put back together. The seamstress separated the bodice from the skirt, cut about 2 or 3 inches out of the TOP of the skirt, then sewed the two pieces back together. This allows the skirt to hit my hips in the right way. Otherwise, the skirt rides up and bunches at the waist.) I've gotten to the point where I can generally judge a design that will work for me and one that won't.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:30 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I buy tunics, and when buying t-shirts or turtlenecks, I look for those that are styled long, or I buy from vendors online that offer a "tall" or "long" option. When short blazers became popular, it was touch. Sometimes you have to wait out a fashion cycle.

The other option is to have a few key pieces made for you by a seamstress. Buy a good pattern, and if you find someone with experience doing this type of alteration, she can lengthen the garment, or do whatever's necessary.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I'm probably built like you. I'm short-waisted but tall, and went from C cups to DD when pregnant with my son. I really only buy tunic-length tops. I don't tuck anything in.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:11 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I get shirts that are intentionally long in style. Dresses can be tricky. Some for too high on the waist.

It is really hard to get short or sleeveless items as I am busty with narrower shoulders. The arm holes end up being too low because tops assume width from side to side not front to back.

I have the same problem. If I find a shirt to fit my bust then the armholes are too big even in a petite size.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:14 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I haven't ordered from most places yet....but I am thinking about it! These are brands for busty ladies and have a bra size component to their sizes or are sized by bra outright.

Clothes fitted for hourglass figure with cup size D+
A Specialty Line of Shirts for the Professional Woman with an Hourglass Figure | Campbell & Kate
URKYE - sewing with imagination!

I have their bra sized camis which are amazing. They have a built in real bra. Haven't tried other items (blazers, button downs etc):
Women's Fashion Clothing | Pepperberry

And for everyone here, you should definitely look at eShakti. They have customizable clothing that is surprisingly affordable. You can get them to adjust basically anything for an extra $10-15. Longer, shorter, take in the waist, let out the bust, change the sleeves....

Women's Fashion Clothing 0-36W and Custom

Old 11-04-2016, 01:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have the same problem. If I find a shirt to fit my bust then the armholes are too big even in a petite size.
Yep,this became an issue with pregnancy/post-pregnancy boobs.

I generally wear a spaghetti-strap fitted cami top that coordinates under things where this becomes an issue.

You would think that when designing garments, it would be recognized that x bustline doesn't guarantee beefy arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty