Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:26 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I just never bought into the "Michelle Obama is the fashion icon of all past First Ladies" gushing.

Yes, I do remember the beautiful purple ball gown and I love it. I liked Hillary's pants suits. Many were very stylish and well suited for her build and age. I am somewhat of the same era and inclination. I like her hair very much now and find it quite attractive.

Nancy Regan had a great fashion sense. I don't how you can deny that but, to each his own.....she didn't have the ability to wear clothes in the way that Melania or Michelle does because they are both tall and somewhat slender but, Mrs. REgan dressed beautifully.

Yes, Laura Bush seemed to care less about fashion, etc, than any other First Lady back to Bess Truman, so shoot her. I think her primary interests lay elsewhere and I am okay with that. It is fun to see women take an interest in current fashion but we don't have to be slavish about our praise and denigrate others perceptions. Very immature and small minded, I think.

Mod cut.
Agree with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 06:26 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
I think, simply elegant describes her look.

I was absolutely struck by Ivanka and Melania's dresses at the balls. I loved Ivanka's dress. Classic Herrera. I saw Melania's dress after I saw Ivanka's and for the minute I liked Ivanka's better. Then I realized that despite looking great in a burlap sack, if Melania wore Ivanka's dress, the dress would have worn her instead of her wearing the dress. IMO, she is too petite to wear Ivanka's type dress and then I LOVED the simple yet sophisticated dress especially with the tiny red accent.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
OMG, sorry, but I totally disagree. It was so stereotypical and obvious that it was almost a costume. Actually, it did look like a Jackie O costume. Horrible, especially considering she could have worn something amazingly fashion forward and carried off easily. I had the impression her husband picked it out.
Is it her clothing style, or just the fact of who she is?

Old 01-23-2017, 08:39 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,604 times
Am I the only one that isn't impress by Melania Trump's outfit. Yes she looked beautiful but it was yet another white dress she worn. The last few times I saw her on big event, it is always polish/classic/white/dress. Her outfit reminded me of Old school, as many mentioned of Jackie Kennedy. I could not relate to her dress, it was not something that made me feel connected or think "I can dress like that". With Michelle & with Kate Middleton's outfit, I always felt connected.

Ivanka Trumps outfit on the other hand is beautiful and somewhat relatable.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:42 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,967,533 times
Like I said in the First Ladies thread, I thought Melania Trump looked flawless. (But maybe some of you are right that white gloves and/or different color shoes would have been better.)

As far as the Jackie Kennedy thing goes...if she is trying to channel her, I don't think it's her doing at all. The blue Ralph Lauren dress was surely picked out for her...from the choice of designer, to the color, to the design. People are saying that she 'plagiarized' Jackie's dress...and yeah...I get it...but the blue Ralph Lauren doesn't have anything in common with Jackie Kennedy's inauguration dress suit, other than the color (which isn't even the same shade of blue). As far as Jackie's pink dress suit...the blue Ralph Lauren featured the same cowl neck jacket as the centerpiece, but Jackie's was a buttoned blazer, while Melania's was a bolero jacket. But the point is...I am positive that Melania (more than any other First Lady), has an entire camp of handlers, PR people, and advisors telling her exactly what to say, what not to say, what to wear, what to do.

But LOL @ the Trump camp trying to invoke the purity of St. Jackie Kennedy in an attempt to mitigate the public's perception of Melania Trump as a gold digging former nudie model. We all know what happened to Jackie's husband, right? Don't know why you'd want to set her up as Jackie 2.0.

As far as Melania's squinty eyes go...it's because when she's posing for pictures she is always serving up some cheesy sexy Zoolander face. I guess it's just a modeling reflex. Also, the raccoon eyeliner doesn't help. But when you see her on video, and she's not vamping for a photo, she doesn't look all that squinty. She looks like a young Raquel Welch.

RE: the inaugural ball. I thought Melania's gown was surprisingly low key, but she looked absolutely elegant. And statuesque...but maybe that's because she moved like a mannequin during her dance with Donny. Holy cringe. Compare them to the Pences who danced like they were at prom, and were enjoying the crap out of each other on stage.

I'm not impressed with Ivanka's gown. At all. It washed her out for starters. Also, it looked like a figure skater get up from the waist up, and Glinda The Good Witch from the waist down. More importantly, it upstaged what Melania was wearing. Not a great move. In my opinion, she should have gone with a more understated silhouette like both her sisters-in-law.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Is it her clothing style, or just the fact of who she is?
I think Melania is a classic with a modern twist dresser (in recent years) so that might have veered a bit retro for her. She dresses a lot more modern than that outfit. It was a little retro-Barbie compared to her typical outfits.

Look at her in the recent months, usually she has an edgy detail whether it is color or something else:
http://static.conservativetribune.co...it-470x713.jpg
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...tober-2016.jpg
http://cdn2.thr.com/sites/default/fi...c_speech_1.jpg
http://1v1d1e1lmiki1lgcvx32p49h8fe.w...ania-trump.jpg
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/4...ca5f34b23c5656

Old 01-23-2017, 10:42 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I think, simply elegant describes her look.

I was absolutely struck by Ivanka and Melania's dresses at the balls. I loved Ivanka's dress. Classic Herrera. I saw Melania's dress after I saw Ivanka's and for the minute I liked Ivanka's better. Then I realized that despite looking great in a burlap sack, if Melania wore Ivanka's dress, the dress would have worn her instead of her wearing the dress. IMO, she is too petite to wear Ivanka's type dress and then I LOVED the simple yet sophisticated dress especially with the tiny red accent.
Melania is 5'11". Not petite. Same height, and by appearance, roughly the same weight as Ivanka.

I thought Melania's inauguration day outfit was a fail - definitely too much of an overdone Jackie Kennedy reference and it just was not cut/fitted properly.

I thought her ballgown was lovely and in keeping with her modern style which is very evident in all her photos. She is an elegant woman but really needs to lay off the Botox and surgery at this point.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:34 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Just my humble opinion; Melania is stunning. As for her 'squinty' eyes, after all she has a beautiful Slovic facial structure; gives a very graceful presence and especially now that she is First Lady. Every woman I notice who has a sincere full smile also squints, it's a natural function of the cheek muscles.

As for the way her sheath and wrap jacket is fitted ... I wouldn't try to 2nd guess Ralph Lauren or any designer; (I hold a Master Seamstress Certificate). I believe she had to be wearing something bullet proof under the top of her dress or sewn into the jacket and possibly the sleeves. White gloves would have caused a 'broken line' in the color and attracted attention to the sleeves, a 'no no'. The nude color of her shoes blended with her skin color as appropriate when wearing light colors.

Women can be soooo catty, wow! -- especially jealous of a stunning wealthy former model, now a devoted mother and First Lady of the USA. She is very well suited for the position she has attained.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:50 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just don't understand why Michelle wore that plain dress with exposed arms. She didn't look very good but I feel sorry for her because she is having a tough time emotionally and was crying sometimes.
While that dress wasn't her best, who cares if she had exposed arms? She has awesome arm definition and I'd show that as much as possible. In fact, I do, unless the weather is bad. I worked hard for these arms. I'm sure she'll be fine once she's out of that fishbowl.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:15 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Like I said in the First Ladies thread, I thought Melania Trump looked flawless. (But maybe some of you are right that white gloves and/or different color shoes would have been better.)

As far as the Jackie Kennedy thing goes...if she is trying to channel her, I don't think it's her doing at all. The blue Ralph Lauren dress was surely picked out for her...from the choice of designer, to the color, to the design. People are saying that she 'plagiarized' Jackie's dress...and yeah...I get it...but the blue Ralph Lauren doesn't have anything in common with Jackie Kennedy's inauguration dress suit, other than the color (which isn't even the same shade of blue). As far as Jackie's pink dress suit...the blue Ralph Lauren featured the same cowl neck jacket as the centerpiece, but Jackie's was a buttoned blazer, while Melania's was a bolero jacket. But the point is...I am positive that Melania (more than any other First Lady), has an entire camp of handlers, PR people, and advisors telling her exactly what to say, what not to say, what to wear, what to do.

But LOL @ the Trump camp trying to invoke the purity of St. Jackie Kennedy in an attempt to mitigate the public's perception of Melania Trump as a gold digging former nudie model. We all know what happened to Jackie's husband, right? Don't know why you'd want to set her up as Jackie 2.0.

As far as Melania's squinty eyes go...it's because when she's posing for pictures she is always serving up some cheesy sexy Zoolander face. I guess it's just a modeling reflex. Also, the raccoon eyeliner doesn't help. But when you see her on video, and she's not vamping for a photo, she doesn't look all that squinty. She looks like a young Raquel Welch.

RE: the inaugural ball. I thought Melania's gown was surprisingly low key, but she looked absolutely elegant. And statuesque...but maybe that's because she moved like a mannequin during her dance with Donny. Holy cringe. Compare them to the Pences who danced like they were at prom, and were enjoying the crap out of each other on stage.

I'm not impressed with Ivanka's gown. At all. It washed her out for starters. Also, it looked like a figure skater get up from the waist up, and Glinda The Good Witch from the waist down. More importantly, it upstaged what Melania was wearing. Not a great move. In my opinion, she should have gone with a more understated silhouette like both her sisters-in-law.
Nailed it on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty